Home General Discussion

Do any of you guys find marketing to be offensive?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
Looking through catalogues and come across a add for John Bull cigars... It states John Bull the working mans avo. I mean wtf!! I work I'm blue collar and no I will never buy a John Bull!! In fact I'm not a huge fan of most Avo's. But to make it look like a guy like me just wants to smoke crap is well insulting!!

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Also.... I get Avos for $4. That just sounds like a stupid ad to me.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    LOL that's awesome

A bnm owner once told me that SWAG was the po-man's Opus X because it was a Dom puro.
    I wanted to piss on his face.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    danielzreyes:
    LOL that's awesome

A bnm owner once told me that SWAG was the po-man's Opus X because it was a Dom puro.
    Hahaha. "It's like an Opus...ya know...because it's the same shape."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Rain:
    danielzreyes:
    LOL that's awesome

lmao really instead of insult people just put it out there as it is! This is cheap not as bad as you think try it you might like it or think it's horrible!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Rain:
    danielzreyes:
    LOL that's awesome

lmao really instead of insult people just put it out there as it is! This is cheap not as bad as you think try it you might like it or think it's horrible!
    Lol! Slogan of the year. "Cheap, but not as bad as you'd think!"
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Looking through catalogues and come across a add for John Bull cigars... It states John Bull the working mans avo. I mean wtf!! I work I'm blue collar and no I will never buy a John Bull!! In fact I'm not a huge fan of most Avo's. But to make it look like a guy like me just wants to smoke crap is well insulting!!
    Nope, ad copywriters are often like OJ in front of the jury. You know you're screwed, but you gotta say something and just hope some dumb SOB buys it.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    One of the biggest reasons I have Sat TV is the channels where I can watch something without commercials. The shows I record I can zip right past commercials. To me, all ads, print or otherwise, are generally insulting and offensive, IMHO.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I find the cigar catalog ads to be hilarious and take them as serious as a Cigar Aficionado review citing hints of farva beans, snauzberries, and 3 day worn underwear. Don't forget the effervescent taste of the underside bark of a North Himalayan Cyprus Tree in March. I read them for entertainment factor. I have no desire to smoke their cheap no name house brand dog rockets. Don't get me wrong there are some fine cheap cigars out there. But the commentary is not going to sell me when you wrote it like some cheesy joke. No one is going to take you seriously. It doesn't bother me. I ignore most recommendations and base my new adventures on friends with similar taste. Not scared to try new things but when I walk into a B&M and they want to recommend the 112th RP release of the year I have no interest. Some people are weird. Tell me straight how it is and what attributes it may have and I will take you seriously.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    They can keep tbe commentaries. Just tell us what its made of and some comments about the tastes. Other than that, most of it is hogwash.
    The local B&M owner knows when he gets a new cigar in, the best tbing with me is to show it to me and say nothing. I'm more likely to buy if he says nothing about it other than what it is and what it states its made of.
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    I had a student years ago that was a big time trial lawyer. He told me that the main two motivating forces for people were sex and money. He said " that's all there is" So when I see an add for a cigar that features a hot babe with botox swollen lips ready to bite down on a big Churchil I forget about the cigar and focus on the babe. I don't think "I got to get a box of those" On the money part. When I see a cigar king with a curvy cutie on his arm and dollars floating in the air around him I think " that dude has to much money" and I don't buy his blends. Truth in advertising is bull----
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    First Warrior:
    I had a student years ago that was a big time trial lawyer. He told me that the main two motivating forces for people were sex and money. He said " that's all there is" So when I see an add for a cigar that features a hot babe with botox swollen lips ready to bite down on a big Churchil I forget about the cigar and focus on the babe. I don't think "I got to get a box of those" On the money part. When I see a cigar king with a curvy cutie on his arm and dollars floating in the air around him I think " that dude has to much money" and I don't buy his blends. Truth in advertising is bull----
    He's wrong. The money's only to get sex.
  • heels0303heels0303 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    I hate when people do that. There is a rep for Casa Magna that has the sales pitch of "more Cigar Aficionado Top 25 ratings than Padron in the past 5 years." I've heard him say it a 100 times...and it pisses me off more every time.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    I admit that I like most of the original Davidoff releases but lately Davidoff is in my *** list. They have to come up with something special if they really want my money. I know they don't care about customers anymore...it is all about frequent releases with different packaging for quick profit. At the same time, I admit that Davidoff can still sell their cigars and they have a strong marketing.
    Lee.mcglynn:
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    Hey, I'm IN marketing and I find it offensive all the same.

Most cigar descriptions you have to take a grain of salt.

My favorite cigar catalog is from Another Company That Shant Be Named Here But Whose First Word Is A Synonym for "Well Known." Some of their copy is totally off the wall stuff--looks like the copywriters are actually having fun, rather than having to find yet another way to say something new about this week's AJ or Dre release.