Home Non Cigar Related

Iraq - Part 2

RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
What do you guys think about what's going on over there?I'd volunteer in a heartbeat if they decide to send troops back, but I hope we limit our involvement to drone strikes. I saw this in an article and it made me sad thbrat someone actually feels this way.Tom Lord, a 60-year-old retired firefighter from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, who was visiting Manhattan's 9/11 memorial Friday, said he supports the new bombing, even though he disagrees with most of Obama's other decisions. "I would hope they send troops, but I don't believe Obama will. We need to go over there and establish peace again, or at least try to," he said."Lord supported the original 2003 invasion. He thought the latest problems were a result of Obama pulling troops out too soon: "They needed to train up the Iraqis more than they did. They pulled out way too soon and now look what happened."Seriously? We tried that for a decade. You can't help a nation that is corrupt and does not even want your help. How long do we need to train a police force and army that has no problems killing our soldiers?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Level it and make a giant parking lot.
    Why are we even bothering?
    No offense, but we have a tendency to stick out noses in and it only costs us in the long run.

• perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    The English couldn't keep it sorted out after about 70 years, we couldn't do it in 10. Is it too much to ask that anyone study history these days? The only folks who can sort this out are the people who live there. If the average Syrian and Iraqi doesn't believe in their government enough to stand up for it then it's not a government that should be preserved. Let the Arab world sort this out for themselves. Besides, I thought all this fracking and drilling was supposed to lessen our involvement in the middle east?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Have to agree with hitting ISIS, but do it hard, fast and repeatedly. No f*ucking mercy. Any terrorist should be a target of opportunity but these guys should be obliterated. We should be behind Israel more too not letting the propaganda war trump the facts. They are really the only ones really engaging terrorists right now on their own terms.

Hopefully this is a wake up call and good will come from it. The ones that wanted America to step back should have known this would happen. Handed the Iraqi's the keys to the the car before they knew how to drive, they crashed. We should have left bases in Iraq, for security and stability. Keep a strong presence in those areas as a deterrent to others wanting to be big brother too.

When the liberals and terrorists start to whine, we must be doing the right thing. Maybe Obama will have an epiphany and realize that a strong America is good for the world. A pissed off America is even better.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    perkinke:
    The English couldn't keep it sorted out after about 70 years, we couldn't do it in 10. ... The only folks who can sort this out are the people who live there. ... Let the Arab world sort this out for themselves.
    Yeah, well, they've had about eight thousand years to sort it out, and this is about as far as they've gotten, is beheading tots and crowing over it.

Yer not gonna civilize em. That's a feckless daydream. Just put your boot on their necks and hold them down while you can. Let the press and the Left bitsch and moan,,. they will anyway. All you can do.

Or else step back and turn a deaf ear. That works for me too. Can't win em all.

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Rain:
    I hope we limit our involvement to drone strikes.
    This. I'm tired of losing American lives over in the Middle East.
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    It's about oil and money but it's a Tarbaby. The more you mess with it the more you get stuck to it.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Isn't the area of Iraq that was the most stable, the Kurdish region, also the one we messed with the least? If so I'd say that's a heck of a lesson.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    0patience:
    Level it and make a giant parking lot.
    Why are we even bothering?
    No offense, but we have a tendency to stick out noses in and it only costs us in the long run.

+1 some places seem to need a dictator to run smoothly. Before invasion 2003 realitive peace..after bloodbath.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 228
    Crusades +1

Otherwise the problem will continue in perpetuity.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Sasquatch:
    Crusades +1

Thing is, you have to be willing to pay the price. Take India as an example. After the Battle of Plassy, Britain surveyed essentially Afghanistan with jewels, and green. The Brits were willing to sacrifice a couple dozen Irishmen a month for a hundred years in exchange for jewels to finance the Industrial Revolution, and of course tea. A century and change later, instead of thuggery and chaos, you have a viable nation offering tech support and engineers and immigrant shopkeepers whose children become anesthesiologists. Exporting their Moslems sure helped.

Afghanistan, on the other hand, Brits went up there, said: "This is a worthless dust bowl", and pulled back. Later on, in the Gulf, they carved out a triangle from the oil fields to the coast, and let the rest of that mess go on about its business. Not even worth an Irishman.

In this instance, do we have the innerds it takes to make this pay? We could take the place easy enough. We've proven that. There's oil, we know that. But do we have the guts to trade a half dozen cripples a day for forty years until we have pumped the darn place dry? Dry in itself would be a wonderful outcome. If the Arab world didn't happen to sit on oil, they would be irrelevant and poor, thus not a problem to us. Can you imagine us predatory enough to do it? Or would we have to pretend we are there to "rebuild" the place?

We do not possess the stoic phlegm of the English. Our national character is too idealistic to be good imperialists.

webmost:
    Sasquatch:
    Crusades +1

Thing is, you have to be willing to pay the price. Take India as an example. After the Battle of Plassy, Britain surveyed essentially Afghanistan with jewels, and green. The Brits were willing to sacrifice a couple dozen Irishmen a month for a hundred years in exchange for jewels to finance the Industrial Revolution, and of course tea. A century and change later, instead of thuggery and chaos, you have a viable nation offering tech support and engineers and immigrant shopkeepers whose children become anesthesiologists. Exporting their Moslems sure helped.

Afghanistan, on the other hand, Brits went up there, said: "This is a worthless dust bowl", and pulled back. Later on, in the Gulf, they carved out a triangle from the oil fields to the coast, and let the rest of that mess go on about its business. Not even worth an Irishman.

In this instance, do we have the innerds it takes to make this pay? We could take the place easy enough. We've proven that. There's oil, we know that. But do we have the guts to trade a half dozen cripples a day for forty years until we have pumped the darn place dry? Dry in itself would be a wonderful outcome. If the Arab world didn't happen to sit on oil, they would be irrelevant and poor, thus not a problem to us. Can you imagine us predatory enough to do it? Or would we have to pretend we are there to "rebuild" the place?

We do not possess the stoic phlegm of the English. Our national character is too idealistic to be good imperialists.

All good points especially do we have the "innerds" to complete the task. You gave some good examples of Imperialism & colonization, whereas I was thinking more along the lines of the classical crusades. Richard the lion hearted et al
    Rough figures but in the ballpark...There are 117 armed conflicts going on in the world today. Out of those 117, 100 involve islam on one or both sides of the conflict. Take care of islam and you provide a greater chance of world peace

Of course we don't have the "innerds" to do a classical crusade even if it would provide a measure of world peace in our modern world.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    Sasquatch:
    All good points especially do we have the "innerds" to complete the task. You gave some good examples of Imperialism & colonization, whereas I was thinking more along the lines of the classical crusades. Richard the lion hearted et al
    Rough figures but in the ballpark...There are 117 armed conflicts going on in the world today. Out of those 117, 100 involve islam on one or both sides of the conflict. Take care of islam and you provide a greater chance of world peace

Of course we don't have the "innerds" to do a classical crusade even if it would provide a measure of world peace in our modern world.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world today, and because of their higher birthrates they are likely to outnumber Christians within a generation or two. Of these, most likely 98% of them lead peaceful lives and present no threat at all to U.S. citizens or interests. Just how would one "take care of Islam" and provide a greater chance of world piece given that Muslims represent nearly a quarter of the world's population?
    [Deleted because of accidental double post]
    Please watch the Daniel Pearl video and tell me again how it is the religion of peace, love, & unicorns.
    "98% of them lead peaceful lives and present no threat at all to US citizens or interests" The statistics of armed conflicts presently in the world and how a majority of those involve islam on one or both sides contradict your "it's mainly a religion of peace and doesn't pose a threat to the world or it's citizens."
    just my 2 cents
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    raisindot:
    Sasquatch:

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world today, and because of their higher birthrates they are likely to outnumber Christians within a generation or two. Of these, most likely 98% of them lead peaceful lives and present no threat at all to U.S. citizens or interests. Just how would one "take care of Islam" and provide a greater chance of world piece given that Muslims represent nearly a quarter of the world's population?

Terrorist attacks, honor killings, be-headings, rapes of children, kidnapping 100s of children, disfiguring women and God knows what else. 1.6 billion and they want to plant their flag on OUR White House. 1.6 billion and not even a small percentage standing up to what the rest of the world considers to be totally barbaric acts. XXXXXXXXXX politicians in this country and others trying to get sharia courts established. muslim riots the world over for no other reason then they are muslims. And they have learned to rip off the welfare systems the world over. Look to England if you think they are not a threat. You have made the most absurd statement of the year, far ahead of reid, obozo, pelosi, waters, and the rest of them.
    jd50ae:
    raisindot:
    Sasquatch:

Terrorist attacks, honor killings, be-headings, rapes of children, kidnapping 100s of children, disfiguring women and God knows what else. 1.6 billion and they want to plant their flag on OUR White House. 1.6 billion and not even a small percentage standing up to what the rest of the world considers to be totally barbaric acts. XXXXXXXXXX politicians in this country and others trying to get sharia courts established. muslim riots the world over for no other reason then they are muslims. And they have learned to rip off the welfare systems the world over. Look to England if you think they are not a threat. You have made the most absurd statement of the year, far ahead of reid, obozo, pelosi, waters, and the rest of them.

I truly find your words chilling. I have met hundreds of Muslims over the years--at work, at social occasions, at college, in my school growing up, in my kids schools, in my travels outside the U.S., at kids' sporting events, in my neighborhood, at parades and other civic events. And although I don't agree with many of the practices of Islam, and I don't share their views of the Israel-Palestinian conflict, I have never once heard a single Muslim I've met carry on about destroying America, setting up Sharia courts in the U.S., or any violent activity. And just about every Muslim I've met in the U.S. is as patriotic as anyone else I've met--and I'd say I've met just as many Muslims who are Republicans as Democrats.

Of course Islamic terrorism and fanaticism are among the biggest threats in the world today and shoiuld be dealt with by whatever means is possible short of blatant genocide. But not all Muslims are fanatics bent on destroying the western world as we know it. And to condemn an entire religion--and a people--based on the actions of its worst fanatics is an even more terrifying proposition. Millions of my people have been slaughtered over the centuries because of this same line of reasoning.
    raisindot:
    Sasquatch:

Always going to be wars but what are they fought for really? In the bad old days wars were fought for domination and growth of their particular ideas, or ways, and expansion of the countries land. Kinda like what Russia is doing now in Ukraine and ISIS in Iraq, maybe if they are that organized. Even Sadam invading Kuwiat made sense in the traditional war mentality of land/power grab. And yes we went in for the oil too, but to keep things stable and flowing for our, and the world, economy. We rebuilt the burning wells and gave them back. Weapons of mass destruction was not a good excuse for the second war but once you commit then go balls to the wall until it's over. Quicker the better.

America is the only country to ever beat the crap out of quite a few countries, help them rebuild and basically give it back to them, probably better than before. Germany and Japan for instance. Before America this was never the case. Most of them are now trading partners with pretty good economies, based on the free market and capitalism to a point. Probably could have gotten Iraq on track, but it would have taken many years. I think most countries would see the advantages of our system eventually and have a vested interest in their own. We are valued for our freedom of choice but many have no idea how to exercise this, never had to. Dictators don't see it this way, they want all the power and land and try and stop the spread of freedoms. Putin's intentions are pretty clear.

The terrorist's must have Muslims scared, not many speaking out about how fanatical these guys are. The terrorists are fighting a different kind of war, one of complete annihilation of people because of their beliefs. They just want to get bigger and destroy, mostly Catholics for now it seems. Eventually after everyone else is gone they will destroy themselves too, that's all they know.

Apologies for rambling on, too much coffee today
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:
    raisindot:
    Sasquatch:

I truly find your words chilling. I have met hundreds of Muslims over the years--at work, at social occasions, at college, in my school growing up, in my kids schools, in my travels outside the U.S., at kids' sporting events, in my neighborhood, at parades and other civic events. And although I don't agree with many of the practices of Islam, and I don't share their views of the Israel-Palestinian conflict, I have never once heard a single Muslim I've met carry on about destroying America, setting up Sharia courts in the U.S., or any violent activity. And just about every Muslim I've met in the U.S. is as patriotic as anyone else I've met--and I'd say I've met just as many Muslims who are Republicans as Democrats.

Of course Islamic terrorism and fanaticism are among the biggest threats in the world today and shoiuld be dealt with by whatever means is possible short of blatant genocide. But not all Muslims are fanatics bent on destroying the western world as we know it. And to condemn an entire religion--and a people--based on the actions of its worst fanatics is an even more terrifying proposition. Millions of my people have been slaughtered over the centuries because of this same line of reasoning.

I too have met & lived with hundreds of muslims over the years at work, at social functions, etc etc in various countries throughout the middle east. I have yet to meet any of your so called 98% of the "peaceful" people, in fact just the opposite. You show the Daniel Pearl video or any other guesome death of a westerner in any middle east marketplace and 98% of the people will clap cheer hoot and holler like they are at a soccer match. If you believing they are peaceful & we should "coexist" or any other touchy feely warm fuzzy feelings help you sleep at night then so be it. They will slit your warm caring throat in a heartbeat and guess what..It wouldn't even be a crime since you are an infidel
    Day after 9/11 a candle light vigil was held at my condo with our neighbor muslims in attendance. 2 weeks later half of them were arrested and their computers confiscated. 2 computers were hidden in the walls.

The mosque across the street turned out to be a meeting place for some of the conspirators.

When the first building came down a delivery driver caught the owners of a bar (liquor and muslims?) rejoicing in a very loud manner. Needless to say they weren't in business for long.

A year later getting a hoagie for lunch and some news about another bombing and the muslim in line could not keep his mouth shut about how glad he was. I have never seen someone run so fast.

A number of muslim women go on TV and talk about how they are treated and then go into hiding because they will be murdered for speaking out.

I worked closely with 3 muslims before I retired and one day I flat out asked one of them would he come to work and kill his co-workers if his religious leader told him to. The silence was deafening.

How many more do you need?

What chills you the most, oh I know, every statement I made is true.
    The only thing that is going to change peoples mindset is an uprising by the fair and peace loving muslims against the barbarians that for all intent and purposes represent them.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Honestly I saw what the people are working with and not being military well I'd go over to try to help! Wtf is wrong with people!! I know America can't do everything but we did start this and well I'm willing to end this
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Not sure if it's true, but my wife said she read we're sending 450ish troops to Iraq. That does not really bother me, as I doubt we'll end up where we were with thousands there. However, when I took a new perspective it made me really evaluate my priorities. My son is 3. But what if he was 18 and being sent there? I would be furious. What is that goal? How many people died there (roughly 3,771)? Roughly four times that were injured. Almost four thousand brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers etc etc that will never come home again...and what did they achieve? It really makes me pause when I think about my kids being sent to war =( Without a clear end state and dire need to protect the US....it's just not worth it.
    I heard 475 troops, that will tip the scales. I think we did accomplish something in Iraq, Obama just dropped the ball and ran. He has to learn to FTW and just do what it takes. We had Iraq but left way too early and didn't leave a presence. The world was watching, a pissed off America is good for the world, a humbled America emboldens the bad guys. We are pissed at the terrorist's and should be engaging them anywhere, hard, even helping Israel. Syria, not our friends, don't deal with them, tell them then do it. Russia will be a problem in the future we should be supporting Ukraine more too. Somebody has to be the big dog, just how it is, rather it be us.

Now you got me all wound up before my fist coffee is done, I need a cigar, lol.
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    I think we need to be in that part of the world for two reasons .First to keep the oil flowing and second to keep our eyes on nukes. If the radicals can stop the oil global chaos will come. If these ass---- get their mits on nukes they will gladly use them. The price we will and have been paying is money and the blood of our troops. I don't think there is any way around it. China is sitting back and watching us pay the price On a personal level as a combat veteran the only thing i can do is make damn sure that this country and the VA provides the support and care that our returning warriors require. I'm involved in a MH mentoring program at the Asheville VAMC working with our current veterans. The program is working and I believe in a small way that I'm doing some good.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    On the eve of Sept. 11, President Barack Obama on Wednesday made a prime-time plea for Americans to support an open-ended war on the brutal fighters of the Islamic State — an escalating Middle East campaign with ill-defined conditions for victory and a timetable that will likely take it into his successor’s term. Obama made certain to distinguish his approach from his predecessor’s large-scale invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq. He promised that there will be no American ground troops taking the fight to the terrorist group also known as ISIL or ISIS. “This counterterrorism campaign will be waged through a steady, relentless effort to take out ISIL wherever they exist using our air power and our support for partner forces on the ground,” he said. The model? Smaller-scale conflicts in Yemen and Somalia where U.S. drone strikes and special operators have targeted extremists “for years,” he explained. Critics of both of those campaigns point out that U.S. forces essentially play a deadly game of “whack-a-mole” with no definitive victory in sight. And U.S. airstrikes regularly kill civilians, fueling anti-American resentment that feeds radical Islamist organizations in a vicious cycle. http://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-special-report--president-obama-addresses-is-threat-172339793.html
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    We find those WMD's yet? But I diggress

I agree with a little of what everyone here said. I dont want boots on the ground, but if we do Im ok with bombing until we run out of bombs. This said---I would prefer we leave and say good luck and stop sticking our noses where they dont belong. I also agree with Rain that most Muslims are peaceful and good people (some are scum)....no scarier as a whole to me that the select right wing Evangelicals that pollute this country----each religion has their god, and no one has claimed more lives over time than him/her. The flip side, again, if were going to bomb there are going to be women and children and innocent people dead-----hundreds or thousands. If you can deal with that, proceed. If you cannot, move on. Staying in between and trying to find ground everyone can agree on is like screwing two girls at the same time....sounds like a good idea, but ultimately someone gets cheated.
    Maybe the faster you do it the less people die in the long run. We leveled Germany, rebuilt it now a trading partner. We decimated how many in Japan, and rebuilt it and now a trading partner. How many more soldiers and civilians would have died invading Japan, who knows. Now our enemy is scattered all about with no real country to invade. Or too many?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    The3Stogies:
    Maybe the faster you do it the less people die in the long run. We leveled Germany, rebuilt it now a trading partner. We decimated how many in Japan, and rebuilt it and now a trading partner. How many more soldiers and civilians would have died invading Japan, who knows. Now our enemy is scattered all about with no real country to invade. Or too many?
    I agree with this. Nobody fears us. If they did this wouldnt be an issue. when we were kids... we all got away with stuff... but we feared our parents. we feared something. these people need to know that we mean buisness. President needs to make a simple blank statement.... either you stop, or you will be eliminated.

Aj
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    dr_frankenstein56:
    The3Stogies:
    I agree with this. Nobody fears us. If they did this wouldnt be an issue. when we were kids... we all got away with stuff... but we feared our parents. we feared something. these people need to know that we mean buisness. President needs to make a simple blank statement.... either you stop, or you will be eliminated.

Aj
    George Bush tried this method of halt or die, it didn't work. These individuals who are commiting these atrocity do not belong to a country as a soldier does. We are not fighting a country, but religious zealots. It would be hard to start a conflict against ISIS and be able to put boots on the ground with a clear exit strategy. All we would do is reenter an unending battle with no end strategy if we go back to a full scale invasion. I'm just not sure we're in a place to invest so much money in remaining the world's police.
    Eulogy:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    The3Stogies:

Aj
    George Bush tried this method of halt or die, it didn't work. These individuals who are commiting these atrocity do not belong to a country as a soldier does. We are not fighting a country, but religious zealots. It would be hard to start a conflict against ISIS and be able to put boots on the ground with a clear exit strategy. All we would do is reenter an unending battle with no end strategy if we go back to a full scale invasion. I'm just not sure we're in a place to invest so much money in remaining the world's police.

We are in a war, or whatever they are calling it, that is not traditional ground gaining by invasion. This is different and we must adapt, especially on the propaganda aspects. Airstrikes should be targeting their resources as well as their Toyota's. Economically go after the oil ISIS make's tons of money from, the taxes they collect from Christians will soon run out. Intel, we need the best intel on the ground, our intel, not theirs. Choke off their re-supply routes and wipe out those that are resupplying them. If there is a city or other target with civilians/children maybe drop leaflets prior, then level it if you have to. When it's all done they will rebuild, up to them to keep it, it's yours but you better behave. Also use everything at our disposal, not just militarily. Drill baby drill, start a cyberwar, anything.

And secure the border.