Home General Discussion

Long term storage

New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
First off, for those of you in the know - No, I'm not looking at any "long term" "vacations" any time soon. Just pre-planning.

I know my humis will hold solid for a month or so, if I have training to go do. My question is, if I head out for 6-12mo...what would be the best plan? Why wife couldn't care less about my stock, so having her care for them may not work out well. Would an unopened cooler hold tight for a long time? (running KL)

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    She cares about my stock...;)
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Rain:
    She cares about my stock...;)
    1 - I read somewhere that if it were not for your pass, you could count your stock on one hand.
    2 - You'll be jobless soon, which means you can't take care of her. Boom...your out of the game, son!.
    Rain:
    As you were.
    I love you Randy!
    Well, let me try to contribute.I don't have a wineador, but I imagine that would be the best bet for long term stability with no interference. My cooler is rock solid, so the only thing my wife(s) would have to do would be open it up every week for a few minutes or so. My humidor is also stable, but not rock solid (yet) so I could not leave it for months and feel comfortable.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    Only thing I can think of is Craig's list a cheap winador at least your temp will be low then beed it up well problem solved.Oh crap for a year? Send them ALL to me....I'll take good care of them! BWAHhhhhhh
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    My Igloo cooler seems to seal very tight and maintain RH with my cigars and 4-5 Boveda packs.

So, what about using a cooler with say 12-15 Boveda 69RH packs? Boveda packs maintain a constant RH regardless of how many you put in there. 100 packs should still maintain 69RH right? The only problem with Boveda packs is that if you don't have enough then after a couple of months they dry out. That's why I wonder whether you could put a whole bunch of them in the cooler to last the year that you're away.

Just a thought.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    A b&m a few towns over from me will store cigars for a small price. Basically they rent space in their humi's. They started this with little locker type humi's so guys could keep their cigars there or hide them from their wives, lol. Even put a lock on them if you want.
    The3Stogies:
    A b&m a few towns over from me will store cigars for a small price. Basically they rent space in their humi's. They started this with little locker type humi's so guys could keep their cigars there or hide them from their wives, lol. Even put a lock on them if you want.
    Pretty good idea. I have a place about 2hrs from here, that has lockers.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    I am sure it depends on climate where you have it stored, but I would feel safe leaving my cooler for 6 months. As long as it is relatively full with boxes and cigars, it should be fine.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I would suggest to throw a bunch of boveda packs in there. Whether you get a cooler or stay with your humi. Should keep the RH in place and if you put enough of them in there it should last the whole year.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I ran my full 150 quart cooler on 2 lbs of beads and 4 65% boveda packs and I changed the packs once a year. If you do a cooler here are some things you may want to think about.
    1. Make sure you FILL it. The more cigars in there the better your humidity will hold.
    2. Make sure your cigars are properly humidified before you fill your cooler. You want your beads and packs to have as little work maintaining your humidity levels. Let your cigars live off themselves.
    3. Make sure someone will purge the stale air from your cooler once every other week. You NEED to have a fresh input of air getting in there. I always purged with the lid open for 5 minutes every 2 weeks. Trust me, the humidity will recover quickly. I cannot stress purging the stale air enough.

If you do the B&M storage I suggest you check the storage humidity. YOU check it, don't take someone's word for it. When I had my locker in a well known Orange County B&M, I didn't think about checking the humidity as they have been around for 25 plus years. However, when I put a few 2003 "island" cigars in it and got back to them 3 weeks later to discover them mushy and moldy, I was not happy. I brought in my hygrometer and discovered my locker was at 80%. After I informed them of this and my now "plumed" cigars, they were able to get it lowered to 72%. Well I personally keep my cigars between 60% to 62% so this was unacceptable to me.

Bottom line is, make sure you look at all aspects of how you will long term store your cigars. Don't know how many you have or how close you are to someone that you could trust with them but think about how much you have spent on them and do you really want them to be unchecked for that long a time period?

I hope something I posted here will help you out and may you find a good resolution to your issue.