Home General Discussion

The Original "Pick-My-Stick" concept help

jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
OK so I havent been as active as I wanted to be but I have a new concept for "Pick-my-stick"

I have been thinking of doing a head to head comparison. I would list three different "pairs" of sticks and I will smoke the winning "pair" at the same time and compare and contrast flavor, pleasure factor, etc. just like my mini review but comparing stick A to stick B.

I have never smoked two sticks at the same time and I dont know if it would be a good idea or bad idea. I often do taste tests of different bourbon at the same time but I dont know how it would work out with cigars.

Anyone who has smoked two at once give me your feedback. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea or crazy idea or bad idea let me know. Pending feedback we can try it tonight or tomorrow or just do a regular pick of a single stick.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I'd try it to start on two sticks you know, then you'll have some idea of how much the flavors are changing/being muted.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    You want to smoke 2 pretty much back to back? Then I'd ask which combos and which sticks go first. If this isn't your first stick of the day, that'll make a difference. Another way would be to do your test and compare to online reviews... Do they compare? I'm still in shock when I read some and find they are tasting obscure crap but then again, they probably spout off at wine tastings too.
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    Bigshizza:
    You want to smoke 2 pretty much back to back? Then I'd ask which combos and which sticks go first. If this isn't your first stick of the day, that'll make a difference. Another way would be to do your test and compare to online reviews... Do they compare? I'm still in shock when I read some and find they are tasting obscure crap but then again, they probably spout off at wine tastings too.
    I was thinking about lighting them both up at the same time, take a few puffs of one, then a few puffs of the other. Kinda like when I sample two different bourbons.

I would try to do (what I think) are fairly similar cigars.

I figured if anyone ever smoked two at once it would be you Shizz.

And my flavor palate is more like a flavor pallet lol. I taste smoke and once and a while if I really stretch it I might taste some cocoa or hay.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    2 at once!!! So this would be "Pick My Sticks" lol, man that's hardcore. Well if you're gonna be a bear be a grizzly. But if you smoke 2 corona's that would be like smoking a big Churchill or other large size really.
    How about the same cigars, one aged the other fresher maybe a year old?
    The3Stogies:
    2 at once!!! So this would be "Pick My Sticks" lol, man that's hardcore. Well if you're gonna be a bear be a grizzly. But if you smoke 2 corona's that would be like smoking a big Churchill or other large size really.
    How about the same cigars, one aged the other fresher maybe a year old?
    LOL Coronas sound like a good way to go. Not much interest so I will probably stick with my regular "Pick-My-Stick" singles.

After thinking about it, the flavors might be hard to tell which linger from which stick.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    jadelt:
    . Not much interest so I will probably stick with my regular "Pick-My-Stick" singles.

Ok I'll play. I say smoke a 2002 Camacho Liberty and an Oliva Master Blend 1 and tell us what you think.

Well for starters your haven't even given us your options to pick from. Are we to assume you have any and every stick ever made on hand and just shout out random cigars for you to smoke and compare???

You got to give us something to vote on so we can vote.
    FireRob:
    jadelt:
    . Not much interest so I will probably stick with my regular "Pick-My-Stick" singles.

Ok I'll play. I say smoke a 2002 Camacho Liberty and an Oliva Master Blend 1 and tell us what you think.

Well for starters your haven't even given us your options to pick from. Are we to assume you have any and every stick ever made on hand and just shout out random cigars for you to smoke and compare???

You got to give us something to vote on so we can vote.
    Sorry for the confusion.

This thread was only asking IF I should try it this way, not an actual "Pick-My-Stick" I have never tried smoking two sticks side by side (same time) and was also looking to see if that is even practical. Appears not, so I will go back to single picks.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    It'd be worth a shot if you think it sounds fun. That may be a big committment to make every pick my stick a double header review. I think it may be hard to keep 2 cigars going and keep up with the flavor changes in both. Sounds stressfull to me, lol! I say try a review that way and see if it's enjoyable. DzR did a 2-cigar simultaneous review a while ago. Maybe try and find that. I dont remember how it went. I will look too.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    Rodger that, up to speed now
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Gray4lines:
    It'd be worth a shot if you think it sounds fun. That may be a big committment to make every pick my stick a double header review. I think it may be hard to keep 2 cigars going and keep up with the flavor changes in both. Sounds stressfull to me, lol! I say try a review that way and see if it's enjoyable. DzR did a 2-cigar simultaneous review a while ago. Maybe try and find that. I dont remember how it went. I will look too.
    It did not go well
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I've smoked two at a time. A few times. I don't remember exactly when or what sticks they were even. But I did detect distinct differences but I had now way of knowing to what degree each cigar's finish affected the flavors of the other cigar. And for me, it was too much smoking going on. It's not twice the fun. I can assure you of that. But the concept is a good one if you could somehow take more time in between puffs without worrying about them going out. Then you might have a chance to better detect differences side by side.