Home General Discussion

Anybody ever heard of this method of seasoning?

RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
This fellow on a FB group was trying to say the best way is by spraying down the inside of a humidor. He was telling a noob that was the best way because no other way would satisfy the amount of moisture the dry wood needed. I of course argued against it. Warning that though it would shortcut the most important process of keeping cigars in a humi that he was setting himself up for warping and mold down the line. But he of course said I didn't know what I was talking about because he had just done it to his new 1000 count humi. So I guess because he had such a huge humi and collection that meant he was the expert. I left it at that and wished him well and good luck down the road. I think it's to big a chance to take with that big an investment. I also quit that group because it's got way to many people giving out bad advice something like 15,000 people and only about 50 know the diff between mold and plume.

Comments

• TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    ive never sprayed the humi, but i have used a sponge to wet the shelves carefully.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    I've heard of it, but no, it's not the preferred technic. I'm reminded of an old saying that totally does not apply here but I'll used cuz I can: There's no replacement for displacement. That will get the water in the wood real quick but as you say, can cause other problems. And maybe it won't. Sounds to me like he bet the farm that it wouldn't. I wouldn't take a chance on a huge investment like that.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Trident:
    ive never sprayed the humi, but i have used a sponge to wet the shelves carefully.
    Ive done that once and I guess I over did it. That's the only humi I've ever had mold in. Twice so I keep a close eye on it.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Dustin's head just exploded.

The official seasoning thread mentions not to wipe it down, let alone spray, about 10 times. I don't see any need to moisten the wood. It will absorb it if you are patient.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I will initially wipe the inside of a humidor with a very wrung out wipe. Close it for 2 days and do it again. From that point I put a small bowl of distilled water in it and and a hygrometer. I check it once a week from that point and wait for a high reading, say 70 to 75. Remove the bowl of distilled water, let it sit for a week and take a reading. If it is in range I start adding cigars and adjust with humi bags and gel humidifiers. I have found that using just a bowl of distilled water could, and does, takes months. I absolutly agree that really wet wipes can cause problems. I have never seen spore or mold but I have seen a buddies humidor that had warped liners.
    Rhamlin:
    Trident:
    Ive done that once and I guess I over did it. That's the only humi I've ever had mold in. Twice so I keep a close eye on it.
    It hasn't happened for about a year. Last time I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol then let it dry out and reseasoned it. But I only keep my bundle sticks in it now just in case.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    There is passive and active seasoning but I've never heard of this kind before and it never ceases to amaze me of what people come up with. If one is to season actively then do it with a sponge or cloth that is lightly applied with distilled water...the keyword here is "lightly"....ensure the cloth or sponge is wrung out as tight as you can possibly wring it out then wipe down the inside and lid...let it air-dry for 24 hours. If you want to passively season then put in a couple of ounces of distilled water in a shot glass...leave it in there for about 2 or 3 days as I have done it both ways.
  • TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    rsherman24:

The official seasoning thread mentions not to wipe it down, let alone spray, about 10 times. I don't see any need to moisten the wood. It will absorb it if you are patient.
    true. but when my monolith came, they put in the instructions that the cedar was dried to less than 3% humidity. It would have taken the wood a long time to absorb that amount of moisture. So I helped it a bit with a lightly damp sponge.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Trident:
    rsherman24:

true. but when my monolith came, they put in the instructions that the cedar was dried to less than 3% humidity. It would have taken the wood a long time to absorb that amount of moisture. So I helped it a bit with a lightly damp sponge.

True. I built a humidor into my bar and the cedar I bought was very dry. I put bowls of water and sponges in there and it took a couple weeks to stabilize the RH. Wanted to wipe it in the worst way to help, but was afraid.
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    I know the page you are talking about. There is a whole lot of know it alla and even more bad advice.
    matkn293:
    I know the page you are talking about. There is a whole lot of know it alla and even more bad advice.
    yep, exactly! The people who knew what they were talking about I got along with. But all the ones who thought they knew it all or were on the I only smoke Cubans high horse I just couldn't get along with.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    My first humidor came with a little paper that said "wipe down using a sponge with distilled water or PH solution - may take a few application to fully season the wood"
    So I bought a large bottle of the solution and started lightly wiping it down, after the first wipe I couldn't even tell that I did anything so I figured I'd try the "More Is Better" technique and just squeezed the bottle all over inside the humidor and then spread the solution around real good a few times with a rag then moped up the rest that didn't soak in with the sponge, Everything looked Great after several minutes ... but I found out after a few days that it must have warped because the lid wouldn't sit flat down anymore (it was rather badly angled lol), so I bought another humidor and decided to ask the friend that started me in cigars how to do it, and she said to do the Spray technique, so I did that spraying it down with the solution a few times, and guess what.......... Same D@mn thing (though not quite as bad as the first one) lid wouldn't shut all the way a few days later
    After that I decided to do a little Google research and after many many sites and videos telling all the different ways including the ones that I already tried, I stumbled upon the Boveda site then just did the Boveda 14 day seasoning bag for the other humidors I bought and they worked good, those other 3 humidors worked great for a few years though now all 3 of those have been taken apart and used as trays in the wineador's
    Wish I would have been a member here back then, would have saved me all that trouble, either I was lucky and it was not enough time to ruin my sticks I had in the first 2 bad humidors or I was to new in cigars to realize they were bad :)
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I've had the same humidor for 4 years this Dec. I wiped it down with a moist cloth on every inch of the surface the first day I bought it then let it sit with a bowl of water in it for a week until the water evaporated. I use 68rh beads and have never had to season it.