Home General Discussion

Opus X box worthy?

AshMeAshMe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 336
Should I get a box of Fuente Fuente Opus X or just keep buying a stick or two at a time? I came across a B&M that has a box of robustos (still shrink wrapped). Also, what would be a make or break price? The reason I am considering it is because I currently buy Opus X as I need them, and I would like to consider perhaps aging some. Lemme know. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Crap if you have that kind of cash go for it! Personally I just get a bunch when they come in and sit on them till I want one. But IMO I wouldn't buy the whole box since it's pricey and there are better cigars out there for the money.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    3 yrs rest at least. If you can wait that long then go for it
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    danielzreyes:
    not sure if they are box worthy for me personally, but i can see it being for others. the advice here is great. if you can age the entire box for a year or two then it will be "more worth it"
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    danielzreyes:
    That's a long rest for a pricey box. Didn't realize they needed that kind of rest.
  • AshMeAshMe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 336
    Great tips guys. I think I'm about to do it. Is $16 a stick for robustos a good price?
    "Age the entire box" you say. With or without the shrink wrap? And with or without the cellos and cedar sleeves?
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    Here's what I've found out. Most OPUS xs are vastly marked up! Duhhh I went into one store spent $65 on some sticks to see behind the counter Lost Citys for $15.00!! Another state they had them for $37.99 each. Keep looking you might find them at msrp.:)
    Darktower007:
    Here's what I've found out. Most OPUS xs are vastly marked up! Duhhh I went into one store spent $65 on some sticks to see behind the counter Lost Citys for $15.00!! Another state they had them for $37.99 each. Keep looking you might find them at msrp.:)
    And what is MSRP for the robustos? These are not Lost City btw. These are the Fuente Fuente. Not sure if that makes a difference in price.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    AshMe:
    "Age the entire box" you say. With or without the shrink wrap? And with or without the cellos and cedar sleeves?
    no shrink wrap. everything else stays on
    thats what box aging is all about. keep the rh arounf 65-68%
    Plus or minus $464
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    If you have the cash and want to do it, then go for it. As already said, they need some time to mature and once they do, they are great. Do you need a whole box to do that or just a handful that you tuck deep down in your humidor? Up to you bro since you're dropping the cash.
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 503
    I wouldn't but that doesn't mean you shouldn't...... The regular opus x blend doesn't do much for me. Some of the harder to find special blends on the other hand could be a good investment, either for aging and smoking or trading/ reselling. The only opus x cigars I have gone out of my way find and purchase were the forbidden x 13's
    D Fresh:
    danielzreyes:
    That's a long rest for a pricey box. Didn't realize they needed that kind of rest.
    A lot of people make the mistake of smoking a young Opusx for the first time and end up having a bad experience saying it was too harsh. 3 yrs is actually not that long compared to how long other botls would wait. Some would say 6-7 yrs.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    Do it! West siiiiide
    jliu:
    Do it! West siiiiide
    6-7 yrs guy right here ^^^
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Crap if you have that kind of cash go for it! Personally I just get a bunch when they come in and sit on them till I want one. But IMO I wouldn't buy the whole box since it's pricey and there are better cigars out there for the money.
    What's better than the opus X?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    AshMe:
    Great tips guys. I think I'm about to do it. Is $16 a stick for robustos a good price?
    I would consider it at that price. Not that I've ever had one though...still waiting for mine to get some age.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Sounds like a good price to me, I bought a box for my B-day few years ago, not sorry at all.
    danielzreyes:
    jliu:
    Do it! West siiiiide
    6-7 yrs guy right here ^^^
    Ain't nobody got time for that
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Cc :)
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    How about Fuente Shark?
    jliu:
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    agreed... The esplendidos and siglo iv,vi are awesome smokes still gotta get a lancero!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    agreed... The esplendidos and siglo iv,vi are awesome smokes still gotta get a lancero!
    Right on with the Cohibas. To the original question, if you really like the Opus that you have had before and are happy to pay the price for a box, then go for it. Not sure how anyone could question your desire to purchase a box of cigars that you enjoy. As to what is better, that is for you to decide, my young padawan.
    SleevePlz:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Right on with the Cohibas. To the original question, if you really like the Opus that you have had before and are happy to pay the price for a box, then go for it. Not sure how anyone could question your desire to purchase a box of cigars that you enjoy. As to what is better, that is for you to decide, my young padawan.
    After my review on the Esplendidos, you guys would still smoke it? Gross (thanks again for the stick, Jiunn)
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    I have seen them for 13.50 5x50 in Ohio!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    In all fairness...i dont think we should consider ISOMs in this comparison since not everyone has the connections to get some.

But anyway, if people need to pull the CCs card to beat an OpusX, then I guess its pretty safe for me to buy a box.

On a financial note, dont cigars increase in price every year? If I age a box of Opus for 6 years, I'll be a lot happier I bought them 6 years earlier when time comes to smoke them.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    If you have the funds then buy the box and note that there are Vendors that have better pricing than others. I know of 2 that I buy from that are lower than 90% of what is out there now. I can buy Perfecxion X all day long for $16 for a single and a box for a discount....PM if you want the name of the Vendor so you can see all Opus product.