Home Non Cigar Related

The dog question really is...

WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
Do our dogs really love us? Or is it just Stockholm Syndrome?

Comments

• webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Look in those eyes. Are they lying?
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I read an interesting web site on dog training recently that made a lot of sense. Essentially, every dog years to belong to a pack, even if that pack consists only of he/she and the owner. Any dog in a home will assume that s/he is the alpha/pack leaders unless the owner (or other family members) train it to see that he she is not the pack leader. Once that dog understands its place as a "beta" pack member, it gives its loyalty to the pack leader, i.e., the owner, especially when that owner is the primary source of food. Any dog that exhibits undesired behavior--i.e., jumping on beds or furniture, running wild, doing things that cause the owner to coddle them--now considers itself the pack leader.

So that love and affection a dog vies you may really be emotionally based (rather than purely instinctual), but behind that affection that dog is saying, "You're the pack leader, therefore I respect you, I worship you, I'll do whatever you say until you stop exhibiting pack leader behavior, or stop feeding me, and that's when I'll take over and kill you in your sleep."
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    WaltBasil:
    Do our dogs really love us? Or is it just Stockholm Syndrome?

Walt Walt Walt........sigh. I have 3 dogs (Blue, Little Guy and Sophie) that won't even take their favorite treat until I have pet them. One dog (Sorsha) went through a bay window because someone outside was giving my wife a hard time, it ended real quick.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Dog spelled backwards is God, enough said
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    The3Stogies:
    Dog spelled backwards is God, enough said

I don't believe in Dog. Does that make me an adogstic? Or an acanist?