Home Non Cigar Related

Chimineas

RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
Anybody have any experiance with them? I'm thinking of getting one soon. Our winters are not too bad, so I'm just looking to get a little extra heat and the clay ones are $30 - $60

Comments

• jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    Rain:
    Anybody have any experiance with them? I'm thinking of getting one soon. Our winters are not too bad, so I'm just looking to get a little extra heat and the clay ones are $30 - $60
    We have a clay one. Looks nice works great but dont expect to keep warm. Little to no extra heat unless it would be slightly enclosed like behind a wall or two to block any wind.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Bah! Well that's depressing.
  • Bad MonkeyBad Monkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    well, I have to say I get quite a lot of heat out of mine. Not enough for a crowd, but for one or two peeps on the back deck it's pretty darn nice. It's a bit larger in the firebox area than most, but certainly not massive. One trick is to fill the bottom with about four inches of lava rocks for a BBQ grill. Another hint is to make sure the one you get has pretty thick walls. The thicker the walls of the firebox the more heat will be radiated out. The lava rocks help out a lot with capturing heat as well.
    Bad Monkey:
    well, I have to say I get quite a lot of heat out of mine. Not enough for a crowd, but for one or two peeps on the back deck it's pretty darn nice. It's a bit larger in the firebox area than most, but certainly not massive. One trick is to fill the bottom with about four inches of lava rocks for a BBQ grill. Another hint is to make sure the one you get has pretty thick walls. The thicker the walls of the firebox the more heat will be radiated out. The lava rocks help out a lot with capturing heat as well.
    I have the rocks in mine.

Now I feel bad...... yours must be bigger than mine :(
  • Bad MonkeyBad Monkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    if I could figure out how to post a pic on this silly forum I would throw one up. I picked it up at the local garden store (Molbacks) and I have to admit it was quite a bit more than 60 bucks. It does kick out a decent amount of heat for the fuel it burns.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Got a cast iron one few years ago, used it for a while on the patio and they do not keep you warm when it gets colder. But the chimney is up to my armpits so I use it to burn, kinda like a chipper, feed from the top into the fire and it burns down. Since then just got a metal fire-pit, much better, easier to move around, and dump the ashes. Besides, it's all about the smores right?
    My Montana chiminea image
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    We have a metal one on the deck and it is great. It doesn't kick out tons of heat but if you stack enough wood it can get pretty warm. We love it. Building a patio now and I am building a fire pit in it. They are enjoyable. I think one like mine would put of more heat since it is open all the way around. Never had a clay one.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    jadelt:
    My Montana chiminea image

That's what I'm talking about, can't wait to see the Texas one, lol.
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    Just get a firepit?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    the thing with the chimineas... if you have 3 or 4 of them burning around a nice patio... it does something for setting the mood. even if the heat output is weak... more booze keeps people warm too.

Aj