Home General Discussion

Alternative humidors

sbroch3sbroch3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
I have filled my present 100 capacity humidor up. What is something good to use to store my smokes without buying another humidor? I have a couple of brand new boxes of cigars as well. Are the cigars ok to be kept in the box at room temp/humidity or do they need to be humidity controlled as well? What about cigars that come in the metal tubes?

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    sbroch3:
    What is something good to use to store my smokes without buying another humidor?
    If you want lots of space, get a plastic cooler (coleman, igloo, etc.)
    If you want to go smaller ... the plastic tupperware type containers work well.
    sbroch3:
    Are the cigars ok to be kept in the box at room temp/humidity or do they need to be humidity controlled as well?
    99% of boxes will not function as humidors.
    So yes those cigars need to be kept in a "humidity controlled" environment.
    (There's a couple brands that have boxes which also function as humidors, i.e. MOW Armada, but unless the box is specifically advertised as a humidor, no the box will not keep the humidity)
    sbroch3:
    What about cigars that come in the metal tubes?
    Best to keep those in a humidor as well. Some folks prefer to remove them from the metal tubes to reduce the chances of getting mold on them.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Everything needs some sort of humidification. In a pinch, those big gallon ziplocks with a boveda pack work well.
  • sbroch3sbroch3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    Thanks for your input. Do they boveda packets work for the coolers? How would you suggest to humidify it?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 808
    Yes they do, they are great, i use bovada packs in my coolers.
    sbroch3:
    Do they boveda packets work for the coolers?
    Yes, they work in humidors, coolers, etc.
    You would just need "extra" in a cooler due to the larger amount of space.

sbroch3:
    How would you suggest to humidify it?
    Personally, I use a mix of boveda packets and humidity beads in my "cooler". It works well. I'll try to find & bump up a couple "cooler" threads for you.

EDIT: I did searches for "cooler setup" and "coolidor setup" --- lots of results, multiple threads, different info. Didn't know which to bump up for you but if you have time to kill, and want to see what other folks have done try putting those terms in the search box (top right) and look through the results.
  • sbroch3sbroch3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    John says pickle jars work good too.

I couldnt resist!

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:

I couldnt resist!

Aj
    hahaha i completely forgot about that!!!
    i've still never received a sample of the pickle-infused stogie. you been holdin out on me!??!!!?!

but yeah, mason jars would work too completely forgot about those.
    any clean, "air-tight" container that's got a nice seal will work.
    (and if you wanna be adventurous and wash out an old pickle jar and try that go for it! but don't holler at me when your smokes taste like a dill pickle LMFAO)
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    jgibv:
    dr_frankenstein56:

I couldnt resist!

Aj
    hahaha i completely forgot about that!!!
    i've still never received a sample of the pickle-infused stogie. you been holdin out on me!??!!!?!

but yeah, mason jars would work too completely forgot about those.
    any clean, "air-tight" container that's got a nice seal will work.
    (and if you wanna be adventurous and wash out an old pickle jar and try that go for it! but don't holler at me when your smokes taste like a dill pickle LMFAO)
    I havent forgotten! I just need to get payed... so that lots here can get played! bwa ha ha! and cheat trick for the dill flavor avoidence.... leave the lid on the dash of a car for 2 weeks rubber side facing the sun. and in my case.. a non paying customers car.

Aj
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    I always use a large tuperware container and a few boveda packs when I reseason my humidors. If you think you may get a large collection go for a cooler. There is a walk through on how to set it up somewhere in here.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    My local B&M sells cigar boxes for a buck a pop. Some of these boxes have a super excellent seal. Last week, I scored a cedar box says "The Big Payback" on it, held 50 big fat paybacks once upon a time. No hinge on it, cause the wooden flange seal I swear is like an inch and a half high. This thing has a seal you can hear and feel. One buck. You want it I'll send it to you. I was going to fill it with eighty or a hundred Uppowoc Perfectos; but it's just about 3/16" too short across-ways. Smells so excellent inside, too.