Home Non Cigar Related

THIS sounds like THAT.

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
I heard somebody playing this song -Stay With Me- and I couldn't hear it very well from down the hall so, I thought to myself,...... "Sounds like somebody has done a cover of -I Won't Back Down- but they slowed it down a little". Then I heard it again later and could hear it better the second time time and I realized it wasn't a cover but the melody was nearly a complete mirror image of the old Tom Petty song. Then I meant to look it up online and I finally remembered to check and sure enough, I'm not the only one to notice it.

Update: 2/6/2015 - Tom Petty has been awarded a songwriting credit on Sam Smith’s “Stay With Me,” which bears a close resemblance to Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down.” According to The Sun, the deal was settled out of court back in October, but is just coming to light now. Both Petty and singer/composer Jeff Lynne were given a 12.5% writing credit. The song’s full writing credit now lists Smith, Petty, Lynne, and Jimmy Napes as the songwriters. “When Sam’s track was originally released, it was clear to a lot of musicians that there were notable similarities between the tracks,” a source told NME. “After it was pointed out to Sam’s camp, they didn’t try to fight it and amicably dished out royalties. It wasn’t a deliberate thing, musicians are just inspired by other artists and Sam and his team were quick to hold up their hand when it was officially flagged.”

Comments

• youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    That's what happens when a computer writes your music. The lyrics of Sam Smith's songs are AWFUL. Tom Petty FTW.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    youngryan216:
    Tom Petty FTW.
    Damn right.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    I love to catch things like that. One that I always thought was too striking to have never sparked a lawsuit was this pair of tunes...

Aerosmith - Train Kept A Rollin'

Foghat - Honey Hush

• youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    Puff_Dougie:
    I love to catch things like that. One that I always thought was too striking to have never sparked a lawsuit was this pair of tunes...

Aerosmith - Train Kept A Rollin'

Foghat - Honey Hush

Funny thing is that's a Yardbirds tune. (The Aerosmith one)
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    This one is pissing me off right now. I probably don't even need to post the "sounds like" song, it is so obvious. But in case you aren't aware of the original tune...
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Funny, that second one sounds more like this...

Oh, wait. It is that. Still, while I see similarities, it doesn't rank up there with the other two pairs mentioned.

Then again, none of this surprises me considering this...

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Bob Luken:
    I heard somebody playing this song -Stay With Me- and I couldn't hear it very well from down the hall so, I thought to myself,...... "Sounds like somebody has done a cover of -I Won't Back Down- but they slowed it down a little". Then I heard it again later and could hear it better the second time time and I realized it wasn't a cover but the melody was nearly a complete mirror image of the old Tom Petty song. Then I meant to look it up online and I finally remembered to check and sure enough, I'm not the only one to notice it.

Update: Tom Petty has been awarded a songwriting credit on Sam Smith’s “Stay With Me,” which bears a close resemblance to Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down.” According to The Sun, the deal was settled out of court back in October, but is just coming to light now. Both Petty and singer/composer Jeff Lynne were given a 12.5% writing credit. The song’s full writing credit now lists Smith, Petty, Lynne, and Jimmy Napes as the songwriters. “When Sam’s track was originally released, it was clear to a lot of musicians that there were notable similarities between the tracks,” a source told NME. “After it was pointed out to Sam’s camp, they didn’t try to fight it and amicably dished out royalties. It wasn’t a deliberate thing, musicians are just inspired by other artists and Sam and his team were quick to hold up their hand when it was officially flagged.”

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    I was going to post this update the other day but couldn't remember the name of the thread.