Home General Discussion

"chocolate" suggestion?

p.aulmartinp.aulmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
Hi guys:
Got another question for the group. I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but coming along ok trying different smokes, etc.
I remember when I first started reading reviews & thinking how odd it sounded that this or that stick had "notes of chocolate." No way I thought. Of course, in my mind I was thinking of a Hershey's chocolate bar.
Since then, I've been really turned on to Ghiradelli's premium dark 72% cacao.
Now, I'm like **wow… there is a similarity between that taste & some of what I've tasted in cigars along the way.
So, question…. what should I turn to in order to maximize this taste? I'm assuming something with a Maduro wrapper, but I just don't know that much. I'm open to suggestions.
BTW, in closing, I'm not interested in anything "infused"… only stuff that comes by that taste naturally.

Thanks!

p

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Try the 601 Blue if you get a chance.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Grand Habano Vintage 2002
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I feel like Rocky Patel Patel Bros has a good amount of chocolate to it. Anyone ever get this guy's address for the newsletter?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Any maduro padron should do the trick
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    danielzreyes:
    Been a minute since I smoked one of these bad boys..used to be a go to in my early on when I began smoking.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    Buccanero Double maduro all day long
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Any maduro padron should do the trick

This.

Or: Illusione Rothchildes, Ezra Zion FHK, Diesel UHC, Camacho Triple Maddy, Oliva V Melanio (bitter chocolate is slight, but there), Partagas Cifuentes, Macanudo Cru Royale (don't laugh, I really liked this one), Montecristo Media Noche (again, don't laugh), Genesis the Project (just smoked one with a year on it, much better than fresh), Tat Havana, LP Undercrown (think chocolate cupcake), LP No. 9, MOW Armada.

That should give you a few to start with.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    p.aulmartin:
    Hi guys: Got another question for the group. I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but coming along ok trying different smokes, etc. I remember when I first started reading reviews & thinking how odd it sounded that this or that stick had "notes of chocolate." No way I thought. Of course, in my mind I was thinking of a Hershey's chocolate bar. Since then, I've been really turned on to Ghiradelli's premium dark 72% cacao. Now, I'm like **wow… there is a similarity between that taste & some of what I've tasted in cigars along the way. So, question…. what should I turn to in order to maximize this taste? I'm assuming something with a Maduro wrapper, but I just don't know that much. I'm open to suggestions. BTW, in closing, I'm not interested in anything "infused"… only stuff that comes by that taste naturally. Thanks! p
    I've had most of the cigars mentioned in this thread, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Most of these do have those "cocoa" notes, but the one cigar that has always been like a bonafide chocolate bar for me is a Perdomo2 Maduro. You can find them here on Ccom, and you really, really should try it. I remember one time I went into my lounge in the States with one of those, a Godiva dark chocolate bar, and grabbed an older chocolate port - my god, it was pure bliss!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    danielzreyes:
    This was my first thought. Also Flore y Rodriguez Cabinet, and the Asylum vintage.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 641
    Mx2 Cao. Delicious.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    wahooschock:
    Mx2 Cao. Delicious.
    +1 but if you want infused, the Natural Dirt is like sucking on a Hershey bar!
  • Edna20Edna20 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 395
    Camacho Triple Maduro, totally blew my mind! I only catch it through the retrohale, but it's really strong compared to anything else I've smoked.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    ya this stuff is like drinking chocolate... almost to much image
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Perdomo habano in a maduro in the gordo size.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Oliva G Maduro or MoW Phalanx.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Big''nBall''n:
    I know what you mean Mike, however, it is the only shock top that I actually like. I've tried em all and this is it!
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    your not lying about that not a fan of shocktop
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Big''nBall''n:
    I just puked a little in my mouth...
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    You guys like to pair chocolate with smokes?

I had to share today's pair: Dairy Milk and Edmundo! Creamy and deep, roasty puffs collide with one of the smoothest chocolates I have ever tasted.
    Yesterday, I paired a Hemmingway maduro signature with a dark chocolate bar and it was divine.

However, this Cadbury Dairy Milk is soooo velvety and briefly sweetens the palate for a unique smoking experience. I have never tried eating anything while smoking before this, but wow, so tasty.

Just figured I would share.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Nub Dub box pressed...send your addy and I'll give you a couple to try.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Of course, if you're after chocolate, Capt. Black Royal in a well broke in pipe is the way to go.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    Have to throw a nod out to the Tatuaje Reserva Noellas. Fantastic cigar and one of my absolute favorites.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    Lots of great ideas here. I too enjoy a "chocolate" flavor in some of my smokes. I have a 601 blue I need to bust out and I would have never thought of the Perdomo2 or Grand Hanano vintage 2002, but I will definitely try some. Thanks for the great info as always fellas.