Home Non Cigar Related

Craziest things you have eaten?

jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
Another thread got me to thinking what are the craziest things you have ever eaten. Here is my list:

Dog
Monkey
Squid prepared all sorts of different ways
Octopus
Iguana on a stick

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Is that what happened to the front leg of the dog in your avatar ??? ;)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Why the Fvck would you ever need to eat a Monkey... that sounds like the most repugnant thing ever. No, it's just wrong !
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Tripod in my photo is an Alice in Chains album cover and the dog of guitarist Jerry Cantrell. I was tricked into eating a small portion of dog meat when I was in Korea.

When I was in Panama I would eat at the little kabob grills they would set up outside of bars and nightclubs. For $1.00 you would get 2 "beef" kabobs and a Coke. When you asked them what the meat was they would reply in Spanish "Carne" which is the word for meat. So we think it must be beef right. Well after eating these for several months and loving them I later learned it was monkey meat. My then I had consumed so much I just didn't give a sh!t any more.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Nothing too crazy, but here's a few of the not-your-everyday-dinners I've had:

Ostrich (delicious)
    Bear Ribs (delicious)
    Antelope (delicious)
    Can't think of anything else totally strange...
    I forgot to list Buffalo, alligator, snake.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Wow...the most exotic meat I've eaten is goat. Pretty tasty if I do say so.
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    I think I know what thread snake is thinking of, so I'll say this...while it's not technically crazy, it sure is gross(imo) - calamari, I don't plan on eating that again! I know its popular, this is just my own opinion.

While in Peru, I ate a seaweed based salad, the viney seaweed. While that's not terrible, nothing in this salad was cooked. It included several variants of fish, shell fish, cephalapods, and I was too afraid to ask what else.

Elk is excellent; I prefer it to a beef steak of any cut. Bear is also very good and not overly 'gamey'. Buffalo is great if it's not over cooked. I've never heard a bad word about alligator, I need to try it sometime.
    I love me some calamari but like you I do not like it when the pieces have the legs on them. Freaks me out.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    kaspera79:
    Why the Fvck would you ever need to eat a Monkey... that sounds like the most repugnant thing ever. No, it's just wrong !
    How else are you supposed to hide the evidence after you accidentally kill it from too much spankings?
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Lasabar:
    kaspera79:
    How else are you supposed to hide the evidence after you accidentally kill it from too much spankings?
    Lassy you're on a roll tonight. You have successfully managed to crack me up twice in 5 minutes..
    Craziest thing that I have eaten would be:
    Drunk one night I happened to order pizza for the drunk walk home... on the way my friends were at ANOTHER bar and I knew the bartender would hook it up with free drinks... I proceeded to not be rude and put the pizza in a nearby dumpster, go drink more, and then an hour or two later picked up my pizza and ate it on the way home...

It's kinda hard to explain to all your drunk friends that the dumpster pizza is yours and you planned to pick it up later :/
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Lasabar:
    Craziest thing that I have eaten would be:
    Drunk one night I happened to order pizza for the drunk walk home... on the way my friends were at ANOTHER bar and I knew the bartender would hook it up with free drinks... I proceeded to not be rude and put the pizza in a nearby dumpster, go drink more, and then an hour or two later picked up my pizza and ate it on the way home...

It's kinda hard to explain to all your drunk friends that the dumpster pizza is yours and you planned to pick it up later :/
    For the three!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    wild boar
    dove
    squirrel
    snail
    alligator
    shrimp heads
    rosemary ice cream
    live octopus
    raw quail eggs
    eel
    raw scallops
    cicada
    Cricket (in a candy none the less)
    i am looking to try camel next time i am in cincinnati ( i found a place that sells it)
    I would like to try Tarantula... bet it tastes like crab.
    i would eat just about anything that is safe to eat just to say i did.
    i hear racoon is quite good if done right.

i kinda draw the line at eating human
    dont dig on that so much....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    kuzi16:
    Aww c'mon guy.
    It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    kuzi16:
    wild boar
    dove
    squirrel
    snail
    alligator
    shrimp heads
    rosemary ice cream
    live octopus
    raw quail eggs
    eel
    raw scallops
    cicada
    i am looking to try camel next time i am in cincinnati ( i found a place that sells it)

Kuzi, I'm sure you're an excellent manager, but I am never eating at your restaurant. That's one crazy list!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    clearlysuspect:
    kuzi16:
    wild boar
    dove
    squirrel
    snail
    alligator
    shrimp heads
    rosemary ice cream
    live octopus
    raw quail eggs
    eel
    raw scallops
    cicada

Kuzi, I'm sure you're an excellent manager, but I am never eating at your restaurant. That's one crazy list!
    not a single one at applebees...

on a side note...

anyone ever hear of maggot steak?
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Possum
    Squirrel
    Cat and Dog - a chinese food place I used to frequent was shut down. The health dept inspected them and found cat/dog meat in the kitchen. I was wondering where Fluffy had gotten off to.
    Alligator
    Rattlesnake
    Scorpions(Dried)
    Chocolate covered ants
    I ate a Katydid once in a cheeseburger, well half of one. I saw it after I swallowed that bite (and half the bug) and did not eat the rest.

And that's just what I know about.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Once when I was visiting friends in Milwaukee, we met the weirdest guy named Jeffrey at a bar and went back to his place for dinner. He served Stew but wouldn't tell us what was in it, but it was definitely something crazy. Oddly enough, I never got back together with those friends...they fell off the face of the earth after that night.
    Luko:
    Once when I was visiting friends in Milwaukee, we met the weirdest guy named Jeffrey at a bar and went back to his place for dinner. He served Stew but wouldn't tell us what was in it, but it was definitely something crazy. Oddly enough, I never got back together with those friends...they fell off the face of the earth after that night.
    Lemme guess... you are the only one that didn't drink the Kool-Aid
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    I guess the weirdest thing I've eaten is calamari, which is delicious. I've had wild boar as well. If you want some good meat, eat some boar that's been been put on the smoker. A lot of people think eating crawfish is weird, especially if you suck the spices and juices out of the head. I don't find it weird, just damn good eatin'.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Lassy, thank you. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I had to look for your response.
    YankeeMan:
    Lassy, thank you. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I had to look for your response.
    Glad to oblige!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Beaver
    Snapping turtle
    Alligator
    Pidgeon/Dove
    Canada goose
    Wild hog
    Buffalo
    Water snake
    Rattlesnake

A lot of people up by the marshes in northern Ohio where I am eat muskrat, but i've never had it before. Apparently it's really good if done right. The article I read about it was in the Wild Ohio publication just recently.
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    bacon.jay:
    Beaver
    Snapping turtle
    Alligator
    Pidgeon/Dove
    Canada goose
    Wild hog
    Buffalo
    Water snake
    Rattlesnake

A lot of people up by the marshes in northern Ohio where I am eat muskrat, but i've never had it before. Apparently it's really good if done right. The article I read about it was in the Wild Ohio publication just recently.

Now I've heard it called beaver before and that's not too crazy, but snapping turtle? Eating beaver can be bad enough, but I won't touch it if it has enough teeth to be called a snapping turtle!! (never thought anyone would post that as a foodstuff).
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    BStayer:
    bacon.jay:
    Beaver
    Snapping turtle
    Alligator
    Pidgeon/Dove
    Canada goose
    Wild hog
    Buffalo
    Water snake
    Rattlesnake

Now I've heard it called beaver before and that's not too crazy, but snapping turtle? Eating beaver can be bad enough, but I won't touch it if it has enough teeth to be called a snapping turtle!! (never thought anyone would post that as a foodstuff).

Now that you mention it, I do remember that they both were a little greasy...

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    An African silk worm...
    Luko:

Oh my god he killed Stew ...who's gonna tell his mom and dad !!!
    Not really too much crazy stuff ...I bid eat bear which I thought was very good. Also had a full blooded Cherokee indian guy I used to work with years ago bring me some Rattlesnake stew which was also very good and I would eat again.
  • Archangel32GArchangel32G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    I would have to say anything Afghani-made. probably dont want to know what it consisted of lol
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    My Mother-In-Law's cooking. The last time I did (over 2 years ago) I got horrible diarrhea.