Home Non Cigar Related

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:
    I figure this is as good as any place to ask: anyone here use the "Distilld" app? Brett turned me onto it and it's really cool. You can easily look up almost any whiskey and read ab it and see reviews. I like the cabinet feature where you can keep track of what you've tried and what you have on hand.

I ask because you can follow users and read reviews they post. Love to read what you guys are drinking if anyone uses the app. I'd recommend it. Usually these apps seem like more work to keep up with than its worth, but this one is pretty easy to use and has some good info and functions.
    ill take a look
    Sure, I'm Gray Forlines on there.
    Just downloaded this. Looks pretty neat. Need to sit down and add everything I have into my cabinet though.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    amz1301:
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:
    I figure this is as good as any place to ask: anyone here use the "Distilld" app? Brett turned me onto it and it's really cool. You can easily look up almost any whiskey and read ab it and see reviews. I like the cabinet feature where you can keep track of what you've tried and what you have on hand.

I ask because you can follow users and read reviews they post. Love to read what you guys are drinking if anyone uses the app. I'd recommend it. Usually these apps seem like more work to keep up with than its worth, but this one is pretty easy to use and has some good info and functions.
    ill take a look
    Just downloaded this. Looks pretty neat. Need to sit down and add everything I have into my cabinet though.

Just downloaded it. Very cool. Similar to the untapped app for beer. Username is Rich Sherman
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    rsherman24:
    amz1301:
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look

Just downloaded it. Very cool. Similar to the untapped app for beer. Username is Rich Sherman
    Love this App, got ya added Sherm. Anyone who uses this I'm Brett Jarman on there make sure to add me please :)
    amz1301:
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look
    I hear the add the cabinet bit Andy, it took me a bit as well as adding my own notes and pics etc but it was kinda fun going through the whole thing I thought.
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    90+ Irishman:
    rsherman24:
    amz1301:
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look

Love this App, got ya added Sherm. Anyone who uses this I'm Brett Jarman on there make sure to add me please :)
    Justin Hewey on there.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look
    I hear the add the cabinet bit Andy, it took me a bit as well as adding my own notes and pics etc but it was kinda fun going through the whole thing I thought.
    This must be an iPhone only thing
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    Hayblet:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    Gray4lines:
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look
    This must be an iPhone only thing
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.distilld.app&hl=en
    Figures, incompatible with all my devices
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    Ok you got me. Brad Lamers
    avengethis:
    Ok you got me. Brad Lamers
    Thanks Brad, will find you when I hit lunch shortly
    Ok bourbon announcement time y'all! One of the big draws coming up is a bourbon that is continuously r acted highly and very sought after which is the Elijah Craig Barrellproof! As of February 2nd the 7 release of this will launch and this year it's a 12 year old expression coming in at 128.0 proof! I will be trying to locate a bottle myself but if anyone runs across a bottle at a reasonable price I would very much be interested in paying you to buy and ship it to me. Let me know and thanks Gang, happy hunting!!!

Clickable Link
    90+ Irishman:
    Ok bourbon announcement time y'all! One of the big draws coming up is a bourbon that is continuously r acted highly and very sought after which is the Elijah Craig Barrellproof! As of February 2nd the 7 release of this will launch and this year it's a 12 year old expression coming in at 128.0 proof! I will be trying to locate a bottle myself but if anyone runs across a bottle at a reasonable price I would very much be interested in paying you to buy and ship it to me. Let me know and thanks Gang, happy hunting!!!

Clickable Link
    +1 I will also be looking for this
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    JHewey:
    D Fresh:
    Since Gray had mentioned it in the other thread and I had touched on it, figured I would post this cheat sheet. The basic recipe is O _ S _. The O signifies Four Roses and the S signifies Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The first blank is the mashbill. The second is the yeast code. So a couple examples would be OESK or OBSV. Hope this helps decipher what you might see on the shelves.

To add to that. Here you go.

Very handy resources and how damn cool would this be

Found some really badass new "whiskey stones" and a unique twist on them that I love!

Clickable Link
    90+ Irishman:
    Found some really badass new "whiskey stones" and a unique twist on them that I love!

Clickable Link
    Nice
    Willett is set to release soon an unaged "White Lightening" whiskey from an "old family recipe" from the pre-prohibition days. Could be interesting but I suspect it will hurt a lot hahaha.... http://bourbonr.com/blog/willett-release-unaged-whiskey/
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    90+ Irishman:
    Willett is set to release soon an unaged "White Lightening" whiskey from an "old family recipe" from the pre-prohibition days. Could be interesting but I suspect it will hurt a lot hahaha.... http://bourbonr.com/blog/willett-release-unaged-whiskey/
    i'm sure it'll f** you up good lol....
    not a huge fan of the white whiskeys though --- only had a few but none of them stuck out to me
    Picked up some Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel for some comparative tasting
    Hayblet:
    Picked up some Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel for some comparative tasting
    Killer Spencer, love Four Roses stuff and hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
    90+ Irishman:
    Hayblet:
    worst case I can always bomb ya if I don't like it
    Hayblet:
    90+ Irishman:
    Hayblet:
    worst case I can always bomb ya if I don't like it
    Lmao no no drink them and trust me you'll like them a lot ;)
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    not a huge fan of the white whiskeys though --- only had a few but none of them stuck out to me
    I'm with you here. I have no interest. Maybe if I had a small oak barrel that I could then age it in I would be interested. Not sure I would have the patience to wait another 2-10 years for it to come of age.
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    I'm with you here. I have no interest. Maybe if I had a small oak barrel that I could then age it in I would be interested. Not sure I would have the patience to wait another 2-10 years for it to come of age.
    +100
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +100
    Those small barrels only take months, not years, because so much of the spirit is in contact with the wood at all times. Really speeds things up. I dig the white dog though yeah it's rough but it's good.
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +100
    Those small barrels only take months, not years, because so much of the spirit is in contact with the wood at all times. Really speeds things up. I dig the white dog though yeah it's rough but it's good.
    Haven't true any white dog stuff, won't spend my money on it but wouldn't be against trying it. I like the idea of aging my own stuff in barrels though that would be so so so cool!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +100
    Haven't true any white dog stuff, won't spend my money on it but wouldn't be against trying it. I like the idea of aging my own stuff in barrels though that would be so so so cool!
    I tried some Maker's white dog at the distillery. Interesting. You can really taste the grains and malt in there
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +100
    I tried some Maker's white dog at the distillery. Interesting. You can really taste the grains and malt in there
    Yeah you definitely can taste it. The only thing I don't like is that they cut it down to 90 proof. If I'm getting the white, I want the full strength
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +100
    Hmmm, that has me a little more interested. Any idea what the comparison for months/years would be in the smaller barrel? 1 month = 1 year?
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    +100
    Hmmm, that has me a little more interested. Any idea what the comparison for months/years would be in the smaller barrel? 1 month = 1 year?
    This would be pretty awesome wouldn't it? To actually get a small barrel and age your own stuff just like 1/4 of all the other non distilling distillerys out there hahaha.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    Yeah you definitely can taste it. The only thing I don't like is that they cut it down to 90 proof. If I'm getting the white, I want the full strength
    I agree. Would love to have some full strength stuff!