Home Cigar 101

A new vice....scotch talk

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    jeff_connors:
    camgfs:
    Hi everyone! Yes, I am a newbie to this forum, but not to Scotch and Cigars. I've been reading some of these forums for a while, and thought this topic would have been covered a long time ago. I like the Glenfiddich 12 yr. with an RP vintage 1990 or a 5 Vegas Relic...but it suits some Cubans better....if you have the chance to smoke those.
    Hey! your on the forms!!!! Welcome!
    Yes Jeff, I made it. I notice I have to put in my own HTML for formatting text in here. Is there some "auto format" button or something I am missing?
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    camgfs:
    jeff_connors:
    camgfs:
    Hi everyone! Yes, I am a newbie to this forum, but not to Scotch and Cigars. I've been reading some of these forums for a while, and thought this topic would have been covered a long time ago. I like the Glenfiddich 12 yr. with an RP vintage 1990 or a 5 Vegas Relic...but it suits some Cubans better....if you have the chance to smoke those.
    Hey! your on the forms!!!! Welcome!
    Yes Jeff, I made it. I notice I have to put in my own HTML for formatting text in here. Is there some "auto format" button or something I am missing?
    Nope all own formatting...should be a breeze for ya!
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tried Johnnie Walker Red today... tasted kinda soapy.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    johnnie walker black is a step up. and i've only had the gold label after i was a bit drunk during happy hour.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    I have 2 humis full of sticks. Now which liquor to pair up with. I've got Evan Williams single cask bourbon,or The Dalmore Cigar Malt scotch. Either way,I win. A happy and safe holiday to all...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    smbrink:
    Im guessing it was the glass you used? Did you use one at home or at a bar? If it was at a bar then it probably wasnt properly rinsed and disinfected. If it was at home then prob you diswasher rinse was off a bit. Id give your glass a good rinse next time around.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    martymcg43:
    johnnie walker black is a step up. and i've only had the gold label after i was a bit drunk during happy hour.
    I have had all three as well. Ther red is a staple for my everyday life (yes, I am an alcoholic - kidding) and the black is what I drink when I am out of the house. I bought a bottle of Gold for my father a year ago and we each had a glass that day. It was by far my favorite because of the more peaty, mossy taste it had. It had much smoother flavor than the red and it was more complex than both the red and black. I can't remember the profile exactly because it was a year ago, but I remember it tasting more earthy with a nice spicey bight. I am getting a bottle of green when I get home to take to my father. I have heard some GREA things about the green, like that it is better than the twice as expensive blue. I guess I will find out in a month.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Fourtotheflush:
    smbrink:
    Im guessing it was the glass you used? Did you use one at home or at a bar? If it was at a bar then it probably wasnt properly rinsed and disinfected. If it was at home then prob you diswasher rinse was off a bit. Id give your glass a good rinse next time around.
    Nope I tried some more later on from a different glass that i hand washed and rinsed. Still the same. Maybe just me.

Bottel emty. going out s ide 4 a msoke

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Poker Slob:
    I have 2 humis full of sticks. Now which liquor to pair up with. I've got Evan Williams single cask bourbon,or The Dalmore Cigar Malt scotch. Either way,I win. A happy and safe holiday to all...

Go with the Evan Williams. Way better than scotch.

Marty

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    One2gofst:
    I really like Whisky, more so that Scotch, but the question was about scoth, lol.

Doesn't have to be bourbon for me. In fact my go to liquor is Jack Daniels. Love the single barrel, but not all the time, just for special occasions.

Would you still go with Jack Daniels if you were aware of what they've pulled on the gullible public? Jack Daniels used to be 90 proof. Then, without saying anything to the public who supported them, they watered it down to 86 proof but kept the price the same. Then, when that seemed to work so well, they watered it down again to 80 proof, still without lowering the price. I used to be a diehard Jack fan but no more.

And, as for single barrel booze of any brand, are you aware of just what that is? It's chosen by the taster at a given distillery, who samples each barrel and decides whether it's good enough to call a 'single barrel'. And that's what you get - - it's from that particular barrel. Now, the next barrel that's designated a 'single barrel' comes from another barrel that he thinks also merits that honor. The problem is that the two barrels in question may taste absolutely nothing alike. I've had some good single barrel booze and, when I bought more of what I had had previously, it tasted like crap. Needless to say, I don't buy single barrel anything any more.

So, back to the Jack Daniels. I've found a sour mash bourbon (which Jack Daniels isn't) which tastes as good as Jack, is still 86 proof, and costs a lot less. So guess what I drink now for everyday bourbon?

Marty

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    me thinks me keeps me Buffalo Trace ...hic-cup ...
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    I finally had my first glass of scotch: The Glenlivit 12 year. It was damn good! Less of a burn than other hard liquors.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    MAJORdorMo:
    I finally had my first glass of scotch: The Glenlivit 12 year. It was damn good! Less of a burn than other hard liquors.
    I'll let you know this now - you have set the bar fairly high with the 12yr. Glenlivit. That's a great scotch.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    gmill880:
    me thinks me keeps me Buffalo Trace ...hic-cup ...
    I hear ya Gene buddy. Reminds me that I need to get some more of the Trace. I can honestly say I've never enjoyed, or gone through, a bottle of any liquor as quickly as I did that one...took me the better part of a couple months, but still...:)
    ejenne87:
    MAJORdorMo:
    I'll let you know this now - you have set the bar fairly high with the 12yr. Glenlivit. That's a great scotch.

Ha, I was worried it wouldn't be too great because of the low price, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    I'm thinking about trying either Talisker or Balvenie Double Wood next.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    MAJORdorMo:
    ejenne87:
    MAJORdorMo:

Ha, I was worried it wouldn't be too great because of the low price, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Try the 15 yr Glenlivet..... It's all about the French Oak, baby.
  • JohnnyWarwickJohnnyWarwick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Scotch is my wintertime drink..try the Talisker for a very very smokey treat.  Now off to Scotland with ye, to learn how to enjoy it in its natural setting!
    lilwing88:
    MAJORdorMo:
    ejenne87:
    MAJORdorMo:

Hm, I never thought to try the 15 year. I think after Christmas I'm going to pick up the 15 yr Glenlivet and the Balvenie Double Wood.

MAJORdorMo:
    lilwing88:
    MAJORdorMo:
    ejenne87:
    MAJORdorMo:

Hm, I never thought to try the 15 year. I think after Christmas I'm going to pick up the 15 yr Glenlivet and the Balvenie Double Wood.

I wasnt thrilled withthe double wood. It wasnt bad and for the price its a good deal, but I was looking for more flavor out of it. Never paired it with a cigar, so I dont know how well it would go.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    The Scotch that I have always turned to is McClelland Islay single malt. I would imagine that it can be a bit much to drink with your favorite cigar since it has a heavy smokey flavor. However it mixes well with the trace amounts of sea salt and vanilla in the scotch. I have always had a glass or two with my CAO Golds. I am trying some new cigars and will have to see how it goes with those but at $40 a bottle or less I say its a good deal.
    Ummmmmm....Islay Single Malt........Thanks for the tip I will be on the look out for some McClelland!
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    Ok, so I gave in and finaly had my first scotch. A johnny walker black (if I ever get the blue, I'll pass and forward it to jozer so he can take a whack at it ). Anyway,I'm kind of on the fence about it. I paired it with a 5 vegas classic torpedo, and they seemed to go well together. Maybe pair another stick with it? Recommendations?
    I recomend the single malt scotch always...Also maybe try a madouro cigar, the sweetness of the maduro goes well with the "sharp" scotch flavor
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    jeff_connors:
    I recomend the single malt scotch always...Also maybe try a madouro cigar, the sweetness of the maduro goes well with the "sharp" scotch flavor
    Hmmm. Ok then. I have a bottle of glenfiddich 12Yo in the cabinet. I'll bust it open and pair it with a maddy. Now to choose which one. Thanks!
    Jeff
    Jdorais:
    jeff_connors:
    Hmmm. Ok then. I have a bottle of glenfiddich 12Yo in the cabinet. I'll bust it open and pair it with a maddy. Now to choose which one. Thanks!
    Jeff
    The Glen is significantly better than the JW.
    After you try Glenfiddich, try Glenlevitt, it gets better......
    My bottle of Glenlivit is getting low........better stock up! These cold winter nights deserve some respect.

• rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    OK, all this talk about scotch has got me really wanting to try it. Normally I'm a bourbon kind of guy. All my stepfather drinks is single malt. Usually Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. I have one question for all of you connoisseurs here. What is the best way to try it. Straight up? On the rocks? Scotch and water like my stepfather takes it?

I'll be waiting for responses.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Straight up in a sniffer type of glass, tulip shape. Then experience with some water and see what you like.