Home General Discussion

I Had A Good Drink From....

90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
Same idea as good cigar thread but with all the hooch being hit back and forth figured this might be cool. I will start it off.... Had a great drink from Walt, this W.L. Weller 12 Year is truly remarkable and friggin' love this bro thank you so much!!!

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    ^^^Slow week. TOW nominee.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Huge shout out to Stubble Steve for this terrific dram!

Nose: Spicy. That's the first thought I get when I nose this, a delicious high rye spice on the nose with vanilla and a mild but aromatic oak and anise.... Can't wait to try this!

Palate: Wow.... Very big and very sweet and very spicy holy cats! A bit thin on the finish and a little hot but I tend to get that on the very first pour from most any bottles. Some dried grassy notes are there on the finish along with oak and vanilla. This is a big monster, neat it actually reminds me a bit of the Stagg Jr. with just how powerful this one is. The sweetness and spicy rye are the biggest notes on the front that leads into a big warming burn and the finish. I added just a splash of distilled water and let it breath. This instantly transformed into being very very smooth with the sweetness being more prevalent on the open and the oak and some marzipan are now showing up. I really like this and think after 2-3 weeks of the bottle being cracked this will be much sweeter and clean up the dried hay note that I still taste a bit of. Overall currently 3.5/5 but it's knocking on the door to 4+ already and is nearly guarantee that the very next poor will be extraordinary! Thanks a TON to my brother Steve for sending me this, terrific bourbon really digging it a ton already!!!
    I cracked open the Frostbite Alaskan Glacier Vodka that Brian sent to me today. Pops is a big craft vodka fan and makes hands down the best martini I've ever had. I figured he would think the vodka was pretty special and you should have seen him light up when he saw and learned about it. We each poured a small dram neat and tasted it... Now I'm not the guy that likes vodka straight. I finally have an exception to that rule because holy cats I could and will drink this neat just like I do to my beloved whiskey! Sweet bright notes with a clean and crisp finaih with small grain characteristic that shows up, but most of all was the fact that there was ZERO burn! Brian j am floored and so grateful for such an amazing drink thank you really! I promise to never mix this unless I am doing it in a martini straight up! Thanks my friend really amazed and blessed to have such a generous and great friend like you to share something so special with me bro will never forget this.

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    TOW Award Winner for week ending 2/8/15

danielzreyes:
    photo TOW2.jpg
    90+ Irishman:
    Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel First Pour 2/14/2015 10pm

Nose: This is a syrupy fragrant fruit nose to it which I've started notice a trend in my tastes that I tend to like those quite a bit and this one is not different. In fact first thing I said to my wife when I cracked this bottle open for the very first time tonight, was that it reminded me almost of a fruit rollup (nosing the bottle immediately after cracking it open for the first time ever FYI) mixed with caramel and bourbon. In the Glencairn glass thats still pretty accurate though I'm now also picking up some vanilla and classic corn and the fruity notes aren't quite so in your face, its a really nice nose to it!

Palate: Holy sh!t this stuff is like drinking bourbon candy! It has a syrupy sweetness to it with vanilla, oak and large amounts of caramel and consistent notes of some mix of tropical fruits... Outstanding!! There is a very mild smokiness to it that shows up on the backend and a medium bodied spice that gently builds starting at the mid palate and joining up with a clean burn on the finish that is long to fade. Right now I can confidently say that at least as a first pour this is a 5/5 for me hands down and want to send a big shout out thank you to my brother Doug S. for sending me this as a gift, what an amazing treat thank you and I will make sure to always have a bottle of this in my bar!!!

• D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    AMZ, thanks man. Been a while since I had one you sent. And don't think I haven't been planning payback this whole time. I've been stocking up on my hard to find favorites to send :)

NCR. Thought this was dead!!!
    I thought about posting it there...then I wondered how fast it would take you to respond and I couldn't resist
    I woke up from a dead sleep to post that.
    I was hoping for a Mass Effect picture!
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Haha, glad you liked it. I like that one too. Let me know if you want anymore.
    Wonder if I can ship a full growler in a large flat rate.