Home General Discussion

any thoughts on the cuban crafters perfect cutter?

p.aulmartinp.aulmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
Hey guys:
Had a GREAT smoke yesterday at the local shop, Oliva Serie G... but it *could've been disastrous. I'm not a jedi master yet on doing cuts. I THOUGHT I had cut plenty high enough on the cap, but as soon as I put the cigar in my mouth I felt the top part of the leaf raise up, indicating I'd cut too deep. They're good blokes at the local shop. They just replaced the stick gratis (I let him do the honors on that cut).
Anyway, got me thinking... maybe I should buy one of these "perfect cutters" from Cuban Crafters. I do prefer a straight cut over punch or V..... but the idea of ruining a $10 cigar makes me want to take steps.
Please at this point, let's not get side tracked on whether or not I'm a wuss for not being able to cut a damned cigar... & or get side-tracked on other options. I'd just like to know what actual users of this cutter think about it.

Thanks!

Paul

Comments

• Edna20Edna20 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 395
    Hmmm, what kind of cutter do you currently use and how do you hold it? I've found a good cutter makes a huge difference. Most here will tell you to get Xikar, they are apparently great when it comes to their lifetime warranty. I have a Xikar that I usually use. I also have a freebie Colibri that I've found does a nice job too. I also had a 'more expensive' Colibri that I think I would've been better using sandpaper to do the job!!! Also, I read somewhere to hold the cutter in your palm, rather than your finger tips. You have more strength that way. Lastly, I've read to sort of apply pressure on the cigar towards the cutter when cutting. I'm still no master, but I've at least stopped ruining cigars trying to cut them :)
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Just learn to cut the cigar below the cap line and you're good to go. It's not about cutting into the cigar, just opening up the cap to expose the rolled leaves so you can get a draw. Think about what a cigar punch does to get a better picture.

If it's dark and you need to cut your cigar, I've seen people lay the guillotine cutter on a flat surface, insert the head (against the flat surface) and snip. This works well on non-figurado cigars where the head does not taper.

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Easy method, which I thank Kuzi for: Put the cutter flat on a surface like a table. Put the cap into the cutter. Cut. The distance between the table and the blade should be nearly perfect every time.
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    I would go with a xikar cutter. They have an excellent warranty and are super sharp.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Good luck getting people to focus their replies on just that particular cutter. See the answers you've gotten so far? LOL Use the search function and search for old threads around here about that very cutter. I know I remember reading those. Just ask if you need help to show you how to locate old threads. I'll see if I can post a link or two. I'm not one of those guys that gripes when a fresh question is posted on a subject that's already been discussed before but there may be some good info for you in those old threads.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    I was gifted my Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter by a BOTL here. I love mine! It could be a little more sharp. But honestly... I get a great cut 95-99% of the time. The bad cuts are of my own fault for not keeping the cigar firmly in the cutter while cutting. I would highly recommend it.
  • p.aulmartinp.aulmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
    Very, very helpful!
    Thanks for posting these links. I think I'm going to get one.
    I appreciate all the other 'coaching' posts on how to up my game overall, but I like the sounds of this cutter.

P
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    LiquidChaos66:
    I was gifted my Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter by a BOTL here. I love mine! It could be a little more sharp. But honestly... I get a great cut 95-99% of the time. The bad cuts are of my own fault for not keeping the cigar firmly in the cutter while cutting. I would highly recommend it.

This. I use it a lot. On occasion with a pointy tip, I end up cutting twice with this. It loses some versatility from other cutters, I suppose, and is a little harder to clean, but I've used mine solid for over two years with no problem. I'm considering getting something else, now, but would still use it pretty consistently.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I have two of these cutters. They're my go to cutter. Paid about $15 for one.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've loved mine. Had it a few years now and it's the one I use the most.