Home General Discussion

Negative Cigar Image

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
I know I've bitched about this in the past but it's bugging me again. According to Hollywood, cigar smokers are bad guys. Think about it. Anytime you see a cigar in the movies or on TV it's just a prop for a bad guy. Have you seen any good guys smoking a cigar on TV or films? It's all bad guys. And to make it worse there are a few less-than-reputable characters in real life, flaunting their stogies. (Suge knight) He's not helping us out any. Besides cigar industry publications/videos Have you seen any positive images of cigar smokers lately? Or is that part of the appeal for modern day cigar smokers? Being badass? (Can anyone say Camacho re-branding?)

Comments

• D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    Expendables 2. Sly smokes quite a bit and he's a good guy. I know TV isn't necessarily Hollywood, but Chris on Gold Rush is always smoking cigars and he's painted in a positive light.
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    I agree with what you're saying. There's a new show starring Rainn Wilson and he smokes cigars. He's not a very positive character but at least he's a good guy. But other than that, I can't think of any good guys. Suge Knight is a POS no matter what. He gives humans in general a bad image
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Now you have me watching out for this. Is it still a prop like it used to be, don't see much smoking at all now except for "bad guys". But yeah the cigar, black hats, 5 o'clock shadow and suspenders on wise-guys were kinda symbols for spotting them. Have the old dean martin celebrity roast dvd's, lots of cigars smoked on that show.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    First off, LMFAO @ D Fresh. Second, I know this is old school, but my favorite movie of all time is Stalag 17. William Holden won an Academy Award for it. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to smoke cigars early on in my journey because of his character and his endless supply of unbanded coronas.

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie if you haven't. It's brilliant. I hope they NEVER remake it.
    Total bada55!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    D Fresh:
    I agree with what you're saying. There's a new show starring Rainn Wilson and he smokes cigars. He's not a very positive character but at least he's a good guy. But other than that, I can't think of any good guys. Suge Knight is a POS no matter what. He gives humans in general a bad image
    Yes, but have you watched him smoke? He is clearly not a cigar smoker in my opinion. He seems to treat them like a prop and not a cigar to be smoked. Most of the time they are not even lit.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    Bob Luken:
    I know I've bitched about this in the past but it's bugging me again. According to Hollywood, cigar smokers are bad guys. Think about it. Anytime you see a cigar in the movies or on TV it's just a prop for a bad guy. Have you seen any good guys smoking a cigar on TV or films? It's all bad guys. And to make it worse there are a few less-than-reputable characters in real life, flaunting their stogies. (Suge knight) He's not helping us out any. Besides cigar industry publications/videos Have you seen any positive images of cigar smokers lately? Or is that part of the appeal for modern day cigar smokers? Being badass? (Can anyone say Camacho re-branding?)

I humbly submit....not only is he a HERO he will kill everyone in a 20 mile radius aka BADA$$
    photo 15eba5528bdf2f0d6e44fc89f87d85df_zpsun353ro2.jpg
    Puff_Dougie:
    Good call PD he's my second choice gotta love some Benjamin J. Grimm!!
    "Its clobberin time!"
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    This one could go either way:

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Robin and Barney on HIMYM were rather fond of cigars and scotch. How can you hate either of them? Robin was a pop star in Canada and Barney was Legen........wait for it...........Dary! image
  • Edna20Edna20 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 395
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    Bob Luken:
    Let's change that impression BOB image
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 486
    Winston Churchill
    John F. Kennedy
    Mark Twain
    Jack Nicholson
    Babe Ruth
    Harrison Ford
    Tom Cruise
    Charlie Chaplin
    Thomas Edison
    John Wayne
    George S. Patton
    John Grisham
    Plus a few more
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    Totally agree with SM0K3Y. X-Men is a franchise movie series largely because of Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. There have been two Wolverine movie spinoffs. The fact that he smokes cigars is a huge 'positive cigar image'.
  • jbarker_18jbarker_18 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    Schwarzenegger in Predator, how did "Dutch" get left out so early.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    How about all the Clint Eastwood movies??
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Thanks for reminding me of some of the good guys with cigars. (Even if some of them are comic book heroes or even if some of them were born in the century before last.) I need all the help I can get when I see too many cigars used as props for fat cat banksters or mafia members.
    William Holden would kick Hugh Jackman's ass. Just sayin lol.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Flip side being the other image of the uppity WASP on the golf course thinking he is better than everyone else-----I may prefer the outlaw.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Vulchor:
    Flip side being the other image of the uppity WASP on the golf course thinking he is better than everyone else-----I may prefer the outlaw.
    On that note, I´d submit Clay Morrow from the Sons of Anarchy TV show (also, same actor as Hellboy - I´ve read that cigars are in the contract for him when taking on characters).

WITH THAT SAID - I've only seen through like Season 4 of SOA before I lost track (but I've heard some things that make me think things went south with Clay), so DON'T SPOIL THE SHOW FOR ME.

Other than that, I actually agree with the original post that cigars are always used for the bad guy and/or rich guy (quite often, though not always, the same guy). I'd be lying if I said that kind of imagery didn't influence my early interest in cigars, and I know for a fact that people think I'm scary-looking dude when I'm rocking a bandanna and a big ol' Diesel lol.
    When I start getting artwork together for my album and show promos, I'm definitely going to have a cigar between my knuckles in a few shots.

I have no problem being associated with it. My moms has always hated that I smoke though. Probably thinks I'm turning into a super villain lol!

I wanna help take it back! Really though, I think anyone who ACTUALLY smokes cigars regularly and isn't a douchebasket about it helps erase the negative image.
    youngryan216:
    I wanna help take it back! Really though, I think anyone who ACTUALLY smokes cigars regularly and isn't a douchebasket about it helps erase the negative image.
    This, for sure
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    imageimageimageimageimage

These are too me, very positive images. They are all people that have made a positive impact on pretty much all of us. The 2 ladies in the middle make us smile and that is about as positive as you can get.

You want more...I got more.
    jd50ae:

These are too me, very positive images. They are all people that have made a positive impact on pretty much all of us. The 2 ladies in the middle make us smile and that is about as positive as you can get.

Yep, Jennifer Lopez like that DEFINITELY makes me smile....
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    jd50ae:

Positive images for me as a kid.... George Burns, Magnum PI, The Thing, Wolverine, and my Pops and GranPops they are the reason, can't think of more positive images than that....jus sayin
  • CrouseferCrousefer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 352
    Crousefer:

Gotta love Hellboy too!
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    Bob Luken:
    more of Cigar fans o change that thought: image image image