Home Non Cigar Related

There goes the budget...

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
So, two days ago, got a letter from the PA Insurance Dept informing me that my son's health insurance through the state's Children's Health Insurance Program is being cancelled because it "does not meet the minimum requirements for health insurance" under the ACA. It's an extremely comprehensive plan. Because of my income, we pay full price for it, but it's still cheaper than other options. Apparently, since it doesn't offer my 13-year-old son free birth control pills it must be eliminated.

Today I come home to news from the wife that she got a call today informing her that she is also losing her coverage through the state's Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities program. She has 15 days to find other coverage.

The good news is that I have a plan through work that I can add both of them to. The bad news is that our monthly health insurance premiums just doubled. "Pop" goes the cigar budget! Thanks, Mr. President.

Comments

• D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    "That means if you like the plan you have, you can keep it. If you like the doctor you have, you can keep your doctor, too. The only change you’ll see are falling costs as our reforms take hold."

Hard to believe that's an actual quote. I feel for you Doug, same thing happened to me!
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    Sorry to hear Doug. It's happened/happening to a lot of people due to the ACA.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54
    Sorry to hear the twist in your coverage.  The quote in your sig line seems even more appropriate now.  Something tells me the good lads here will compensate for the downturn in you cigar budget.
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    peter4jc:
    Sorry to hear the twist in your coverage.  The quote in your sig line seems even more appropriate now.  Something tells me the good lads here will compensate for the downturn in you cigar budget.
    Pretty sure I remember hearing his 2 humis are full, but he could use a cooler.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Doug I'm so sorry to hear that! Don't worry I have zero doubt that myself and other brothers will make sure you always have a good stick to burn ;)
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Yeah, here we go, Obamacare just went into 1st gear. That birth control pill for 13 year old boys is very important so they can grow moob's and become liberals. Isn't that the stupidest thing you heard of. At least you can get them on your insurance for now.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Big
    Ball
    of
    Suck

I know some people who've benefited from the ACA in either cost or coverage. But not many. I will say, that the noticeable effect for us is that when my wife leaves her job, we can be covered under COBRA for far less than it used to cost us the couple of times we've needed it. (Part of me was surprised COBRA still existed, but it makes sense because you get to keep whatever deductible and OOP you've paid).

Hope you can get it sorted, Doug.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    D Fresh:
    "That means if you like the plan you have, you can keep it. If you like the doctor you have, you can keep your doctor, too. The only change you’ll see are falling costs as our reforms take hold."

Hard to believe that's an actual quote. I feel for you Doug, same thing happened to me!
    Once again, racism rears its ugly head.

• variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    webmost:
    D Fresh:

Where? I missed it.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    variant2:
    webmost:
    D Fresh:

Where? I missed it.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    I try to stay outta political convos, religion and politics are suckers bets, but I am sorry to here the news bro that's sucks :(