Home General Discussion

Diesel Unlimited Maduro/New World Cigars

danksheehandanksheehan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
Morning All,
Last few boxes of Diesel Unlimited Maduro and New World Cigars have seemed very young.
I'm used to smoking off the truck.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this with some cigars.
I wonder if they are pushing the cigars out early to meet demand.
Thought?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    If you smoke these ROTT, we obviously have different taste in cigars so take this for what it is worth. I really enjoy Diesel, but always let them rest 6 months hopefully 1-2 years. Could be the factory or production demands, but they morph into a totally different cigar with age in my opinion.
  • danksheehandanksheehan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
    Thanks,
    I get your point.
    I thought the cigars are ready to smoke ROTT?

Dan
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    I thought the new world ROTT was fantastic the diesel as Sherm said was rough... Needs a nap
    first two boxes smelled young. Box i got today was good to go.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    danksheehan:
    first two boxes smelled young. Box i got today was good to go.
    AJ usually puts dates on his boxes, that might help sort things out. Sometimes the box you get two months from now is older than the one you got last month, so the date you get 'em might be misleading.
    Thanks ken.
    How long does it take for ajs stuff to be ready to smoke???

Dan
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    danksheehan:
    Thanks ken. How long does it take for ajs stuff to be ready to smoke??? Dan
    Depends who you ask, really, it's mostly personal preference. Most say ~1 year out his stuff starts to go from decent to really good. In the case of the Diesel UHC for example, though, I like them young AND old, and it's a different experience. I like the harshness in the young smoke and then I really like the finished product when it ages.

Think of it like whiskey, maybe. I really get into white dog/moonshine, you can taste the mash bill clearly and there's a freshness to it. It also burns like a mofo. So it's cool when that mash bill ages for a dozen or so years too and you can't pull out flavors anymore but the combination is really beautiful.
    Why does he release cigars when they need age to them?
    I thought most cigars are already aged and ready to smoke?
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    danksheehan:
    Why does he release cigars when they need age to them? I thought most cigars are already aged and ready to smoke?
    I don;t think this is unique to AJ. Released cigars can be smoked right off the truck or aged. The guys who have been around for a while know that some cigars get better with age like many other products. the tobacco is going to change flavor and the flavors will meld which creates a completely different cigar experience.

Personally i like the unlimited maduros right off the truck, but i was able to smoke a 3 year old unlimited maduro and the flavor was completely different. I like the RUniations with 3 months of age, but an older aged runiation i didn't like the best because i think it mellows out too much.

regardless enjoy your cigars how you like them. Don't think that aging all AJ blends is the only way to go. Find what you want to do and do it.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    brianetz1:
    danksheehan:
    Why does he release cigars when they need age to them? I thought most cigars are already aged and ready to smoke?
    I don;t think this is unique to AJ. Released cigars can be smoked right off the truck or aged. The guys who have been around for a while know that some cigars get better with age like many other products. the tobacco is going to change flavor and the flavors will meld which creates a completely different cigar experience.

Personally i like the unlimited maduros right off the truck, but i was able to smoke a 3 year old unlimited maduro and the flavor was completely different. I like the RUniations with 3 months of age, but an older aged runiation i didn't like the best because i think it mellows out too much.

regardless enjoy your cigars how you like them. Don't think that aging all AJ blends is the only way to go. Find what you want to do and do it.
    +1
    well said brian.
    Thanks Brian.
    I have always enjoyed the Diesel Unlimited Maduros OTT, but the last two boxes have smelled/tasted very young.
    Might just be they slipped through the cracks.
    What do you smoke regularly?
    danksheehan:
    Thanks Brian. I have always enjoyed the Diesel Unlimited Maduros OTT, but the last two boxes have smelled/tasted very young. Might just be they slipped through the cracks. What do you smoke regularly?
    i like Tatuaje, Crowned Heads, and cigars blended by My Father (Pepin blends). These 3 are what i smoke the most of.
    thanks.
    Which ones in particular?
    From Cigar.com?
    danksheehan:
    thanks. Which ones in particular? From Cigar.com?
    DPG Blue My Father My Father Le Bijou jaime Garcia La Duena

Jericho Hill Headly Grange

Tat Monster Series Tat conju 2012 tat black label tat cabaiguan tat tattoo

yes you can get them at cigar.com just email andyd@cigar.com or timb@cigar.com to talk to them about ordering.
    Thank you sir.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    Smoking one now, and it's crazy bitter, you can taste the potential for a great stogie in there... but dang
    Smoky
    What do you do when u ordered two boxes to smoke now?
    Disappointing.
    Wonder how long they will take to be enjoyable.

Tia
    Dan
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    danksheehan:
    Smoky What do you do when u ordered two boxes to smoke now? Disappointing. Wonder how long they will take to be enjoyable.

I would honestly say let them rest, once i got past the halfway point and the stogie hit the sweet spot last night it turned out great, theres a reason theyre so popular (not to mention stronger than heck, which is always good IMHO) It really turned out good, I was just caught off guard, call it a pre-mature noob review, if you will, lol I'm definitely trying them again though. Plus its like the vet BOTLs said evryone has a different pallet, If I was lucky enough to have a box of anything, Id definitely try at least one, take notes, and then wait until theyve settled. Please dont take my opinion as anything but a noobs! :) Also I really liked the wrapper on it, I dont know enough to be taken very seriously, but the cigar finished strong Tia Dan