Home General Discussion

Beating winter in the garage....

Coach1714Coach1714 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Been a tough winter on Long Island so far, but I've been in my garage with a good smoke almost every night. Got a detached garage with a propane heater, underground cable, flat screen, a small exhaust fan, a $15 recliner from the thrift shop, and a throw rug. Oh, and a heating blanket on the chair. Even when it's 10 degrees out, I've been toasty. Who else is beating up on Mr. Snow?

Comments

• Edna20Edna20 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 395
    We're in MD, but still pretty cold. We have 2 anti-gravity lounge chairs and a kerosene heater in the garage. A macbook with slingbox on the TV and we are good to go. I too have a blanket :)
  • Coach1714Coach1714 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Had a couple of anti-grav chairs too, but recently graduated to the recliner. Best $15 I ever spent.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    Never cold enough in Texas to warrant that so I just power smoked a 5 Vegas Panetela in like 20 mins!! 26degrees outside, not bad,LOL (im freezing!!)
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Edna20:
    We're in MD, but still pretty cold. We have 2 anti-gravity lounge chairs and a kerosene heater in the garage. A macbook with slingbox on the TV and we are good to go. I too have a blanket :)
    your mailbox isn't like, all buried in snow is it?
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    It's been in the 70's for over a week, where I'm at.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54
    Coach1714:
    Been a tough winter on Long Island so far, but I've been in my garage with a good smoke almost every night. Got a detached garage with a propane heater, underground cable, flat screen, a small exhaust fan, a $15 recliner from the thrift shop, and a throw rug. Oh, and a heating blanket on the chair. Even when it's 10 degrees out, I've been toasty. Who else is beating up on Mr. Snow?
    The Wisconsin winter, has been about what we'd expect... but I've been beating up on Mr. Snow pretty much the same way, except my flat screen and heater are in my basement. I roast coffee to make half my income, and can use the exhaust system to evacuate about 80% of the smoke. The rest gets tamed by negative ion generator air purifier; within a couple hours of finishing a smoke, the air is fresh and you'd never know I had a cigar. But it's still in the upper 40's down here, and not ideal. The TV starts crackling and popping once it's warmed up, which is alarming, but I don't think it'll hurt. A nice cup of coffee in a thermal mug helps. That said, like the rest of you poor saps in the colder climates, I CANNOT WAIT FOR SPRING!!!
    danielzreyes:
    Edna20:
    your mailbox isn't like, all buried in snow is it?

Ha! I don't have a mailbox anymore, was blown to pieces last week!
    peter4jc:
    Coach1714:
    The Wisconsin winter, has been about what we'd expect... but I've been beating up on Mr. Snow pretty much the same way, except my flat screen and heater are in my basement. I roast coffee to make half my income, and can use the exhaust system to evacuate about 80% of the smoke. The rest gets tamed by negative ion generator air purifier; within a couple hours of finishing a smoke, the air is fresh and you'd never know I had a cigar. But it's still in the upper 40's down here, and not ideal. The TV starts crackling and popping once it's warmed up, which is alarming, but I don't think it'll hurt. A nice cup of coffee in a thermal mug helps. That said, like the rest of you poor saps in the colder climates, I CANNOT WAIT FOR SPRING!!!

Nice, cause my garage smells like ish!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    No outside smoke yet, but have a spot cleared on the back deck for the 1st smoke. Sometimes get a warm day in March, fun sitting there among the snowbanks.

For now I'm banished to my backroom man-hole with an exhaust fan sucking the heat out. Contributing to global warming. But I did get a thank you card from the oil company, using so much oil they didn't have to layoff Sam this year, lol.
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Buried in snow here near Boston. Temps near or below zero.

I built a man cave shed to hang out in. Full exhaust, a plasma TV and a propane wood stove keep to keep me warm.

• aschwendt13aschwendt13 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    I live near philly, and it went below zero last night. Got up to 30 in my garage with the heater on. Not the best conditions but better than no stogie.
  • BrianakBrianak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 227
    Up in Alaska it is currently +40F and no snow on the ground.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    It was -2° when I left the studio in Akron last night. 15° this morning, but ya'll know I'm smoking a big ol' Perdomo Lot 23 connie with coffee and doughnuts like it's summer! F the cold!
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    With 12 foot snowdrifts and temperatures only getting above 30 once in the past two months, Mr. Snow has beaten me senseless. I had my first stogie in nearly two months two days ago when the sun actually showed its face and temperatures soared to 47 degrees.

Since then temps have plummeted again (it was -6 when I felt for work today). I don't even dare visit my stogies anymore because every time I open the humidor whatever little humiidity is in there gets sucked right out into the bone-dry air.