Home Non Cigar Related

Is beers a yankee term?

2»

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    "I swear, Officer, I only drank two beers!"

"I swear, Officer, I only drank two beer!"

hmm...well, one of these things is not like the other one...
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Amos Umwhat:

I keep sayin it. Don't put words in my mouth and tell me it doesn't sound right. LOL Nobody says "I only drank two beer."
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    Bob Luken:
    jimmyv723:
    Hahaha! I been thinkin' of this skit the WHOLE time!

Lol, I had just found this thread and that was the first thing that popped in my head.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    Bob Luken:
    No. I'd say "All of the beer in the garage is frozen." I would not specify the containers unless there were a need to.

Totally agree with this.
    Amos Umwhat:

And I totally agree with this, too.
    And you gentlemen are both from Tennessee, aren't you? Are we seeing a regional linguistic non-consensus here? :)
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Bob Luken:
    jgibv:
    After much time researching (aka drinking beers), I have found the answer for you, Bob.

The plural of beer is beer.
    It's a volume noun like water and wine, so the statement, "I'll have a beer" implies that the speaker wants a glass, or a bottle, of beer.
    Statements such as "I had six beers last night" imply that the speaker had either six portions of beer or six different types of beer.

SOURCE CLICKY CLICK HERE

Thanks for posting this insightful post from another poster on another forum, I think it makes a lot of sense, but you left off the last part. And, the last part clears up the context of the quote a little bit. Here's the rest of what the poster had to say. ["Being specific with statements such as, "I had six bottles of beer last night" will eliminate confusion and avoid misunderstanding."] He's saying that beers is slightly more ambiguous than bottles of beer. So my view, according to that guy, is slightly correct. So, technically speaking, beer is the plural of beer. OK. Basically, my plan is, and always was, to avoid saying "beers" and it's not hard or awkward to do at all. The only way it sounds awkward is when y'all put awkward words in my mouth and say, "See? that sounds awkward." Beers is fine by me if you wanna' say it that way but any phrase you say with "beers" in it, I can easily say without. Easy. Try me. It'll be fun.
    ;-) welcome ;-)
    just thought it'd give you a little more "food for thought" (or is it foods? ha j/k lol. ok sorry)

i'm certainly not smart enough to come up with something like this hence the copy/paste from the googles.....and as i mentioned, i did this "research" while drinking a few beers so please excuse if it came off wrong.
    and....didn't see the last part .... firefox add-on blocked those comments all i saw was the text i copied/pasted from the google link.

now, last but not least....
    whaddya say we just put this to rest, you come on by, and beers are on me (we'll be drinking more than one so i'm adding an "S")....
    and if you can *properly pronounce* the word "beer or beers" at the end of the night without slurring, well, you didn't drink enough!!!! less talky, more drinky!
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:
    jgibv:
    After much time researching (aka drinking beers), I have found the answer for you, Bob.

It's a volume noun like water and wine, so the statement, "I'll have a beer" implies that the speaker wants a glass, or a bottle, of beer.
    Statements such as "I had six beers last night" imply that the speaker had either six portions of beer or six different types of beer.

SOURCE CLICKY CLICK HERE

Thanks for posting this insightful post from another poster on another forum, I think it makes a lot of sense, but you left off the last part. And, the last part clears up the context of the quote a little bit. Here's the rest of what the poster had to say. ["Being specific with statements such as, "I had six bottles of beer last night" will eliminate confusion and avoid misunderstanding."] He's saying that beers is slightly more ambiguous than bottles of beer. So my view, according to that guy, is slightly correct. So, technically speaking, beer is the plural of beer. OK. Basically, my plan is, and always was, to avoid saying "beers" and it's not hard or awkward to do at all. The only way it sounds awkward is when y'all put awkward words in my mouth and say, "See? that sounds awkward." Beers is fine by me if you wanna' say it that way but any phrase you say with "beers" in it, I can easily say without. Easy. Try me. It'll be fun.
    ;-) welcome ;-)
    just thought it'd give you a little more "food for thought" (or is it foods? ha j/k lol. ok sorry)

i'm certainly not smart enough to come up with something like this hence the copy/paste from the googles.....and as i mentioned, i did this "research" while drinking a few beers so please excuse if it came off wrong.
    and....didn't see the last part .... firefox add-on blocked those comments all i saw was the text i copied/pasted from the google link.

whaddya say we just put this to rest, you come on by, and beers are on me (we'll be drinking more than one so i'm adding an "S")....
    and if you can *properly pronounce* the word "beer or beers" at the end of the night without slurring, well, you didn't drink enough!!!! less talky, more drinky!
    Thanks for playing along. I'm not mad, or trying to fight but hey, this is fun. You ready to Quit?
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Bob Luken:
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:
    jgibv:

SOURCE CLICKY CLICK HERE

;-) welcome ;-)

Thanks for playing along. I'm not mad, or trying to fight but hey, this is fun. You ready to Quit?
    quit drinking BEERS????!!????

NEVER!!!!!

now what was the original question? lol
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:
    No. I'd say "All of the beer in the garage is frozen." I would not specify the containers unless there were a need to.

Totally agree with this.
    Amos Umwhat:

And you gentlemen are both from Tennessee, aren't you? Are we seeing a regional linguistic non-consensus here? :)
    Maybe it's not regional. Maybe it's JUST me. I'm the weirdo. Wouldn't be the first time.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Let's go shoot a few deers then have some beers, or have some beers and shoot a few deers, sounds about right to me. Oh right, I'm a yankee and they learn us up good up here, ayuh.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Bob Luken:
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

Totally agree with this.
    Amos Umwhat:

Maybe it's not regional. Maybe it's JUST me. I'm the weirdo. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Nah, it's not you, I don't count. Grew up on Army bases, so, while TN was "home", I grew up in Chicago, Washington DC, Brooklyn NY, Anchorage AK, Louisville KY, Central TX, and parts of Germany, as well as Tennessee. Wherever I go, as soon as I speak a little, everyone knows I'm from somewhere else.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    The3Stogies:
    Let's go shoot a few deers then have some beers, or have some beers and shoot a few deers, sounds about right to me. Oh right, I'm a yankee and they learn us up good up here, ayuh.

You could catch and cook up some fishes while you're at it too.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 519
    I don't know about beers n deers, but I do know when I moved to Texas it took me a while to trade soda pops for cokes, and youz guys for yall!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    jimmyv723:
    The3Stogies:

You could catch and cook up some fishes while you're at it too.

Don't have to catch them, I have a friend who fishes for fishes, lol. Hmm, would fishes and deers be a surf's and turf's.
  • Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463