Home Cigar 101

Tell me about your ash

TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
So what do the differences in ash mean? Colour, density, firmness/tightness? Never much cared about this till I noticed some brown ash under the white outer ash of a 5 Vegas Miami.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    As far as I know, color all comes down to certain chemicals in the leaf that were imparted from the soil. So that's all a different color means, it has no bearing on quality as some would have you believe. I can't say about the other things, it would be pure speculation on my part.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I have always considered a dense and stable ash to mean good construction on a cigar, but honestly I don't know if that's true or not.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    IMO, a tight, light colored ash is more visably appealing, but aside from that, I don't think any type of ash is "better" than another. If a cigar were the best I'd ever smoked and the ash was crumbly and wouldn't hold on for an inch, I wouldn't care.
    One2gofst:
    If a cigar were the best I'd ever smoked and the ash was crumbly and wouldn't hold on for an inch, I wouldn't care.
    Exactly. That's the real essence of it right there. To take it even further, if a cigar were ugly, didn't burn that great and couldn't hold an ash but tasted phenomenal, I wouldn't care. I see way too many people put such emphasis on appearance when all emphasis, in my opinion, should be on taste... I don't smoke cigars with my eyes, I don't know about anyone else.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    j0z3r:
    One2gofst:
    If a cigar were the best I'd ever smoked and the ash was crumbly and wouldn't hold on for an inch, I wouldn't care.
    Exactly. That's the real essence of it right there. To take it even further, if a cigar were ugly, didn't burn that great and couldn't hold an ash but tasted phenomenal, I wouldn't care. I see way too many people put such emphasis on appearance when all emphasis, in my opinion, should be on taste... I don't smoke cigars with my eyes, I don't know about anyone else.
    Tried once, poked the crap outta my eye but it was around Halloween so I got a bird and called myself a pirate.

/end sarcasm.
    Garen B:
    j0z3r:
    One2gofst:
    Tried once, poked the crap outta my eye but it was around Halloween so I got a bird and called myself a pirate.

/end sarcasm.
    har har har....Yarrr!!!!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Well, mine's pretty hairy and doesn't get much sun. Oh WAIT... sorry. Haha

Here's another thought as well...

Which stick you've smoked held the biggest ash??

For me it was an Oliva G Cameroon Toro. It almost made it to a full 3 inches before falling off. To me a long, even ash means good construction.

My longest ash was on a La Flor Dominicana Limitado III, it held for a little over half the cigar, so a bit over 3 inches, and never fell on its own, I finally tapped it so it wouldn't fall in my lap.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    The diesels I have smoked so far can hold an ash the whole way.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    2nd The Diesel and of course NUB.
  • angrymanangryman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 26
    I like a tight ash.... oh wait. I've just noticed different ash from different tobacco leafs from different areas.