Home Non Cigar Related

FOOTBALL Season is allmost here!!!!!!!!

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    And I get to watch another year of the ultimate mediocrity. My Redskins.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Big Deel:

Is it OK to talk football again? lol

My Dolphins got Chad Pennington from the Jets. They say he is healthy now. He has never been healthy since he came in the league right? If we go .500 this season I would be happy.

I'm a Fins fan, too. Welcome. My immediate comment when I heard we signed Pennington: like we don't have enough 2nd-string QBs already?
    urbino:
    Big Deel:

Is it OK to talk football again? lol

My Dolphins got Chad Pennington from the Jets. They say he is healthy now. He has never been healthy since he came in the league right? If we go .500 this season I would be happy.

I'm a Fins fan, too. Welcome. My immediate comment when I heard we signed Pennington: like we don't have enough 2nd-string QBs already?
    LMAO. He's worked with your OC before though, Pennington is a starting caliber QB he just has to be in a system that doesn't expect him to go deep. He'll work out for you guys much better than McCown or Beck. I think Henne could be something special and Pennington will be good enough to keep him on the bench for at least a year, where rookie QB's should be.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    Bad Andy:
    Emmet, Aikman and Irving are retired...not gonna happen and time soon.

Let's talk real football...College!!! GO Gators!!!!

A Georgia Boy cheering for the Gators????
    I thought that the SEC just couldn't count. Now they don't know Geography.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    Whoa, slow ya roll...I Live in GA but I was BORN in FL. No worse than the gobs of Auburn fans that were born in GA. I catch hell from both sides.
    I'm from the North, just transplanted here for work. I LOVE to rip on the South Eastern Criminals every chance I can get. GO BOILERMAKERS
    I knew there was something not quite right about you.
    My employees call me a D**N Yankee because I won't leave.
    PERDUE!!! You want to talk trash about the SEC when your conference champs can't beat any SEC team especially in the CHAMPIONSHIP game.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I think you've got them confused, Andy... Perdue's mascot would be closer to the Gamecocks than the Boilermakers of Purdue ;)

Yes, this is true. So my spelling is a little off. But with the correct Purdue in there my point still stands. The Big 11 can't hang in the big games.
  • Celtic RiderCeltic Rider Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 44
    Should be a good weekend for preseason Football!!!! GO BEARS!!!
    Bad Andy:
    Yes, this is true. So my spelling is a little off. But with the correct Purdue in there my point still stands. The Big 11 can't hang in the big games.
    We will see what happens this year. The SEC can't pay for their players forever. Eventually the NCAA will catch them. :)
  • dep691dep691 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311

Luko:
    I'm kinda partial to the five-time Super Bowl champs Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ditto

vankleekkw:
    Bad Andy:
    We will see what happens this year. The SEC can't pay for their players forever. Eventually the NCAA will catch them. :)
    HAHA! If this is true then UCLA with Neuheisel at the helm should be winning in no time ;)

PTFTW
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 282
    'skins versus NYG next thrusday! :)
    Miami Redthings in 75 minutes!!
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    dutyje:
    Steelers, too. Go former Redthing Big Ben.
    dutyje:
    This is very confusing to us Dolphins fans.
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Let me fill you in.

Miami was a school in Ohio when Florida still belonged to Spain.
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Let me fill you in.

Duty was a freshman?
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Let me fill you in.

Duty was a freshman?
    Not quite :) ... This will lay it all out for you:

Florida was discovered in 1513 by Ponce De Leon (I have no info on my family dating back that far)

In 1559, during the childhood of my ancestor Lord John Northend, the Spanish settlement of Pensacola was established

Great Britain gained (temporary) control of Florida in 1763, when my (7-greats) grandfather Moses (no joke) Duty was 63 yrs old. As a side note, one of Moses Duty's grandchildren (Joseph Smith) would go on to establish the Mormon church.

Spain regained control of Florida in 1783, the same year my (6-greats) grandfather Mark Duty died.

Miami University was founded in Oxford, Ohio in 1809

Spain ceded Florida to the US in 1819, when my (4-greats) grandfather Andrew Woodbury II (we took the Woodbury name for 60+ years) was 17 yrs old

Florida joined the union in 1845, when (3-greats) grandfather Andrew Woodbury III was 12 yrs old.

The University of Miami was established in 1925, when my grandfather and namesake Joseph Edward Duty I was 12 yrs old.

The Miami Dolphins were established in 1966, when my father Joseph Edward Duty, Jr. was 28 yrs old. This was 8 years before I was born.
    Senor Duty...you ever read Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer? Holy Maroni.

The ironic part about the crack I made on your age is that we're the same age, I think.
    Luko:
    Senor Duty...you ever read Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer? Holy Maroni.

The ironic part about the crack I made on your age is that we're the same age, I think.
    Actually, I don't do a whole lot of reading. What's funny is that picking up cigars as a hobby has led me to pick up reading as a hobby. As a climber, I'm familiar with Krakauer for the Everest disaster and his book Into Thin Air. You'd have to explain your reference.

According to the site I've got ten and a half months on you :)

I was at Miami when Wally Sczerbiak was there, and graduated a year before him.
    dutyje:
    Luko:

Actually, I don't do a whole lot of reading. What's funny is that picking up cigars as a hobby has led me to pick up reading as a hobby. As a climber, I'm familiar with Krakauer for the Everest disaster and his book Into Thin Air. You'd have to explain your reference.

Did you see that movie made from his book about Everest? I thought that was pretty good.
    Under the Banner of Heaven is about Joseph Smith, the Angel Maroni and the founding of the Mormon Church. Let's just say the elders didn't like it very much. It doesn't paint Joseph Smith or the church in a very good light.
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    Luko:

Did you see that movie made from his book about Everest? I thought that was pretty good.
    Under the Banner of Heaven is about Joseph Smith, the Angel Maroni and the founding of the Mormon Church. Let's just say the elders didn't like it very much. It doesn't paint Joseph Smith or the church in a very good light.
    It seems to be a pattern, then, in Krakauer works, that his subjects take issue with his perspective :)

I did see the movie. I thought it was very good.
    The "Into Thin Air" survivors/families/etc. took issue with his account? I didn't realize that. Loved the book and thought the movie was pretty good.

Did you see the documentary about the two climbers (one British and one Austrailian??) in South America that just came out a few years ago. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but I thought that was excellent.
    Luko:
    The "Into Thin Air" survivors/families/etc. took issue with his account? I didn't realize that. Loved the book and thought the movie was pretty good.

Did you see the documentary about the two climbers (one British and one Austrailian??) in South America that just came out a few years ago. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but I thought that was excellent.
    I don't know the nationalities, and can't recall the names of the 2 involved, but you're probably referring to Vertical Limit. That's an amazing story, although I blame the celebrity of that tale for some rather egregious errors being made by noobie rock climbers/mountaineers in their lack of training/experience.

There is virtually no circumstance in mountaineering where cutting a rope bearing the weight of another climber is a rational decision. Armchair mountaineers can dissect the circumstances in this particular scenario, but I won't go into that except to say it provides a remarkable account of an epic adventure by two very experienced and knowledgable climbers. Thinking rationally under those circumstances is nearly impossible, and second-guessing as an activity other than mental exercise is unhealthy and disrespectful.
    Oh yeah... and with respect to the Krakauer book (about the Latter Day Saints), I just checked out a brief synopsis. Interestingly, I've got some a couple pretty amazing stories I could share along that same vein, but I can't do so on-line without jeopardizing the lives of those involved. Now before you get carried away, my life is incredibly dull, normal, and totally without drama. It is only by pure coincidence that I've come into some interesting stories which tie this book together with some very current events. Maybe if we herf together sometime, I'd have the chance to share them.
    dutyje:
    Oh yeah... and with respect to the Krakauer book (about the Latter Day Saints), I just checked out a brief synopsis. Interestingly, I've got some a couple pretty amazing stories I could share along that same vein, but I can't do so on-line without jeopardizing the lives of those involved. Now before you get carried away, my life is incredibly dull, normal, and totally without drama. It is only by pure coincidence that I've come into some interesting stories which tie this book together with some very current events. Maybe if we herf together sometime, I'd have the chance to share them.
    Boy, you know how to chum the hole, huh? Let's herf soon.