Home Cigar 101

Quick Humi Seasoning Question

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    i wouldn't say you needed another humi, whats wrong with your tupperdor? THe wine fridge is the deal. Once I get all settled back in again I might sell the one I have now and buy a thrmo-electric one and completely convert it.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    There's nothing really wrong with the tupperdor, I suppose. Nothing a better humidity-control device wouldn't fix, anyway. OTOH, I don't think an Oasis would fit in my current tupperdor. It's long and shallow; I don't think it's deep enough for the Oasis to stand up in.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I've noticed the same thing with my 65% beads. They just don't seem to absorb the extra humidity from the air, as advertised. They'll stay bright white while the humi is up above 70%. My original intent was to recharge the beads as needed by introducing distilled water into the humidifier puck, and allow the beads to soak up the extra humidity, but the humidity would spike and the beads wouldn't take any of it in. I gave up and just charged the beads directly with distilled water.

Fortunately, we're in a massive drought right now, so I haven't seen any problems. Our ambient humidity is in the low-to-mid 50's here.
    Yup. That's what I'm experiencing, too, duty. Only the ambient humidity here is wicked high all summer, so it is kind of a problem.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    Well I did the callibration last night and it read 72/75 on the digital hygro....So based on what everyone is saying here....I should subract 3 off of the number and that is what the true number will be once its in the humi........Ex: if it shows 71 in the humi..it is really 68? or is it 74? Thx
    What do you mean it read 72/75? which of those numbers is temp and which is RH?
    first number was 72....number next to that was 75. I'm assuming 72 is the temp, right?
    The numbers aren't labeled? Are there instructions for your hygrometer? If you did the salt test and your rH came out to 75%, you're dead on -- no adjustment necessary. If the rH came out to 72%, then you need to add 3% to displayed humidity to determine the actual humidity.
    Thanks Dutyje...I'll have to look at the numbers when I get home from work....Charlotte? My sister just moved there last month...they love it down there.
    Let me know if you come down to visit.. we can get together with Shoot and have a smoke
    Will do..will do....I'll need one after traveling!
  • Celtic RiderCeltic Rider Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 44
    how will I know for sure if my box humi is done seasoning? I've done the bowl of water for 5 days now. I added the crystals ( gel) today. Should I just give it a few more days to see if the RH is constant? It is jumpin in the high 70's. Should I take out the humidifer with the crystals in there? Is it ok to have them both?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    urbino:
    Yeah, the Oasis is about as reliable as it gets. Part of me hates to spend money on another humi and another Oasis, when cheaper storage solutions are [supposedly] available. Unfortunately, my experience thus far is that those cheaper solutions don't work.

So while I still hate to spend the money on humi and Oasis instead of on cigars, I guess it's worthwhile, in the long run, since it'll keep the cigars I do have in proper condition. Or maybe the thing to do is get the wine fridge and an Oasis. Hmmmmmm...
    Have you thought about going the coolerdor route? It is not pretty by any means, but a 120 quart cooler with a Cigar Oasis is working out famously for me. Of course I tend to go overboard once I get into something, so this is the perfect pairing to keep up with my excess.
    I'm still having problems with my humi....Turned off the AC yesterday and had the windows open...The digital hygro went up to 76...So I moved it to the basement last night and this morning it red 74..but add +3 to that and it is still 77. Any suggestions to get the RH lower? Should I take the cigars out and open the humi for the night? I just ordered some stogies and I don't want them to be ruined once they arrive.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i know people will dissagree with me on this... use Humidification Beads. they let out RH when needed and soak up when there is too much. I have 65% RH beads and since its summer i have decharged them to about 10-15% charged. my Rh has not moved from 65% for almost 3 months now... no distilled as been added.
    Kuz..I have the humi-care jar in there now...I refilled it with distilled water awhile back....will that do the trick or do I need to bpuy the 65% beads? I'm assuming they are not the same thing
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    they are not the same thing. the beadsa are solid, little beads of silica. the gel is a mushy polymer. Im nto sure how they work to tell the truth. I know they will let off humidity but im not sure they will soak up extra.
    thanks..I'm buying the beads today....
  • dan7876dan7876 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47

Time to rejoin the thread here...a quick seasoning update.  It's been a week since I began seasoning my humidor, just dist water dish for 2 days, then after that I charged my 65% beads and put them in for the rest of the week (along with the water dish).  RH was pegged at 65% by yesterday. 

So...now the dish is gone, and I started putting sticks in yesterday, about 5 at a time (as someone suggested here, to keep things gradual).  I've noticed after I add sticks the RH pulls back to 61-62 for a while and then works its way back up each time.  I presume this is normal, as the cigars go back and forth a little at first?

Perfectly normal buddy.
    You're off to a great start, Dan! Depending on the humidity level of the cigars you're putting in, you'll tend to see spikes in one direction or another until they reach equilibrium. Also, opening the box to do this will let air (usually a lower humidity than the box) in, and this has to be brought to equilibrium as well.
    j0z3r:
    Have you thought about going the coolerdor route? It is not pretty by any means, but a 120 quart cooler with a Cigar Oasis is working out famously for me. Of course I tend to go overboard once I get into something, so this is the perfect pairing to keep up with my excess.
    I picked up a 120-qt. today to give this a try. I don't have an Oasis to put in it, yet. Right now, I'm letting it "rest" with a few cigars in it, with the primary purpose of seeing what RH it settles on with no humi device at all. (I've got a digital hygro in there.)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    I picked up a 120-qt. today to give this a try. I don't have an Oasis to put in it, yet. Right now, I'm letting it "rest" with a few cigars in it, with the primary purpose of seeing what RH it settles on with no humi device at all. (I've got a digital hygro in there.)
    Do tell how it works out for you.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 682
    dutyje:
    You're off to a great start, Dan! Depending on the humidity level of the cigars you're putting in, you'll tend to see spikes in one direction or another until they reach equilibrium. Also, opening the box to do this will let air (usually a lower humidity than the box) in, and this has to be brought to equilibrium as well.
    What he said. Just practice patience and all things cigar will work out in the end :D
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    Do tell how it works out for you.
    Will do, Joe.
    After 24 hrs. with about 100 cigars and several busted up cigar boxes in it, it seems to have stabilized at 62% RH and 74* w/o a humidification device of any kind. I may just leave it like that until wintertime rolls around, when the central heat dries out the air in the apartment.

I dunno, though. I might put a few water pillows in there to try to bring it up just a bit. Thoughts, anyone?
    If it's just for overflow, I wouldn't even worry about it. I keep my overflow in tupperdors, and my tolerance for humidity is anywhere from 60-70%... as long as it's there, I leave it alone. I use my humidor as my "smoking queue"... I'll choose my smoke from that box. Once I've smoked one, I'll select one from the tupperdor and move it to the humi. I require a minimum two weeks of rest in the humi before I will smoke one.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 342
    my new humi got in yesterday and im taking a different approach i wipe the side walls with very very little amount of dist water and put a shot glass inside with dist water and let it set for awhile
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    DiasFlak:
    my new humi got in yesterday and im taking a different approach i wipe the side walls with very very little amount of dist water and put a shot glass inside with dist water and let it set for awhile
    I just received a new Humi at the beginning of the week and used the same method for it. I ended up wiping the insides 2 days in a row and let the RH get up to 82 then removed the shot glass. Overnight it went back to 70 so I put the shot glass back in for one more day. After that It has maintained around 72 - 73 with just using the humidifier inside the humi by itself. I think it is now stable, it has been 2 days without change.
    dutyje:
    If it's just for overflow, I wouldn't even worry about it. I keep my overflow in tupperdors, and my tolerance for humidity is anywhere from 60-70%... as long as it's there, I leave it alone. I use my humidor as my "smoking queue"... I'll choose my smoke from that box. Once I've smoked one, I'll select one from the tupperdor and move it to the humi. I require a minimum two weeks of rest in the humi before I will smoke one.
    It's for overflow and for keeping a few back to age a bit and see if I can tell any difference. I think the RH will come up a little, anyway, as I add more stogies and the wood from the broken boxes gets seasoned. I think I'll leave it as is, for now, and just see what happens.