Home Cigar 101

Quick Humi Seasoning Question

13»

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    DiasFlak:
    my new humi got in yesterday and im taking a different approach i wipe the side walls with very very little amount of dist water and put a shot glass inside with dist water and let it set for awhile
    I know opinions vary on the subject but some humidor makers say NEVER wipe down the inside of your humidor. I guess that they think someone may really drench the box and cause damage. I have done it both ways and never damaged any of mine.. What I do though , is take a sheet of cedar from an old cigar box, wipe that down well, and set it in the humidor for about a day. I keep it off the floor of the box, and it really cuts down on the seasoning time. Just another way to get the job done and get those stick to bed..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ive also found that a wide shallow bowl does a better job of quicker seasoning than a shot glass. more surface area means more evaporation. I had my last humi seasoned in about 24 hours
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    Gonna piggy back on this thread and hope that people will chime in. I want to be ready to go when my humi arrives early next week.

Seems like the general consensus is to NOT wipe down the humi for seasoning. And that if you have beads it's OK to toss those in there while seasoning. Should those beads be charged before you put them in or let them soak up the distilled water from the shot glass or dish? I was also reading on another site that there may be concern over the shot glass/bowl that it needs to be "sterilized" otherwise you could be introducing bacteria to the humi, then leading to mold. Is this a legit concern? I would just be taking the shot glass out of the cupboard, not from the garbage dump.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    TheShaun:
    Gonna piggy back on this thread and hope that people will chime in. I want to be ready to go when my humi arrives early next week.

Seems like the general consensus is to NOT wipe down the humi for seasoning. And that if you have beads it's OK to toss those in there while seasoning. Should those beads be charged before you put them in or let them soak up the distilled water from the shot glass or dish? I was also reading on another site that there may be concern over the shot glass/bowl that it needs to be "sterilized" otherwise you could be introducing bacteria to the humi, then leading to mold. Is this a legit concern? I would just be taking the shot glass out of the cupboard, not from the garbage dump.
    Hi Shaun. If you have time using the shot glass or shallow bowl of water is the way to go.
    You can add beads but I would charge them as they are very efficient at absorbing moisture and will likey take the water from the bowl faster then the humi insides.
    The bowl from your cupboard would be fine. Jeeze, using that line of reasoning you should never open your humi to an unsterile environment (your house) least you introduce airbourne bacteria and ruin your sticks. Also once the beads are charged they should help to stabilize the RH in the humi while it does season. IMO
  • brawnickbrawnick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Dan and group ... scrap the beads, gels, etc. and get an electronic system such as Cigar Oasis. It will season the humidor ( I don't think any humidor is really "seasoned" in under two weeks) and provide years of worry free perfect 70% humidification. The good news is you can put your cigars in the humidor in a few days since the electronic system will maintain 70% even before the humidor is fully seasoned. Also, recovery is very rapid after you open/close the humidor. I have had two for a year now and will never go back. I have one that can use batteries for travel. It uses distilled water with no added chemicals such as propylene glycol and only needs to be refilled every 3 to 4 months (I open it once a day). Yeh, I know it's a hundred bucks but worth every penny if you are a perfectionist about humidification. For me, the beads, "wonder gels", etc. just don't work well as your digital hygrometer will prove.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    as winter is coming my Humidor is holding at 68 to 70 like a champ. my 100 ct three draw two of them have sticks about 50 another 20 coming tomorrow :). my Q? should I be think of reasoning for winter weather? of just keep adding water to the beads ?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Reseasoning is always a good idea in the winter. I like to wait till Dec or Jan when the air is actually drier though.
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    I just make sure I keep an eye on the beads to make sure there is enough moisture there to keep the rh where I want it.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Retircs1:
    as winter is coming my Humidor is holding at 68 to 70 like a champ. my 100 ct three draw two of them have sticks about 50 another 20 coming tomorrow :). my Q? should I be think of reasoning for winter weather? of just keep adding water to the beads ?
    +1 to Ricky & Brad's suggestions above.

**In theory** you should never have to reseason a humidor *if* it was seasoned properly the first time around and you maintain your humidifiers.

But if you have problems and notice your humidity is going "whacky" (especially in the drier months) -- and you rule out a bad hygrometer -- then it might be worth a reseasoning.

I reseasoned mine a couple winter's ago when the humidity was running low, and it helped fix the problem.

But since I don't want to reseason it every winter, I just add a small shot glass about half full of distilled water to the humidor as an extra source of humidity in the drier months.
    That seems to work well too.
    Just keep an eye on your hygrometer and make sure the RH doesn't go too high.
    ok thank you all for the input
  • kswildcatkswildcat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 73
    jgibv:
    Retircs1:

**In theory** you should never have to reseason a humidor *if* it was seasoned properly the first time around and you maintain your humidifiers.

But if you have problems and notice your humidity is going "whacky" (especially in the drier months) -- and you rule out a bad hygrometer -- then it might be worth a reseasoning.

I reseasoned mine a couple winter's ago when the humidity was running low, and it helped fix the problem.

But since I don't want to reseason it every winter, I just add a small shot glass about half full of distilled water to the humidor as an extra source of humidity in the drier months.
    I was going to ask the very question of if anybody does add a shot glass to help in winter months.. Just starting out and have a whitetail and yukon humidors. Until the last couple days I was just using the whitetail as I only had 20 sticks. Seemed to hold fairly consistant until temps dropped and heater has been running overtime. I pulled my sticks and stuck them in bags with beads and put dishes of distilled water in both humidors. rechecking my digital hygrometer at the same time (humi-black ice that cant be adjusted). My theory is being the whitetail is a glass top it is more prone to a bad seal and will use whichever seems to hold rh the best. I have recieved a few more sticks and have more ordered so HOPEFULLY I will have this solved before a bunch come.. Really starting to think a coolidor is the route I need to be heading. I did like the 2 humidor idea as to have one for my ready to smoke and the other my new needing to rest.. ofcourse until I out grow them..lol
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    kswildcat:
    jgibv:
    Retircs1:

I was going to ask the very question of if anybody does add a shot glass to help in winter months.. Just starting out and have a whitetail and yukon humidors. Until the last couple days I was just using the whitetail as I only had 20 sticks. Seemed to hold fairly consistant until temps dropped and heater has been running overtime. I pulled my sticks and stuck them in bags with beads and put dishes of distilled water in both humidors. rechecking my digital hygrometer at the same time (humi-black ice that cant be adjusted). My theory is being the whitetail is a glass top it is more prone to a bad seal and will use whichever seems to hold rh the best. I have recieved a few more sticks and have more ordered so HOPEFULLY I will have this solved before a bunch come.. Really starting to think a coolidor is the route I need to be heading. I did like the 2 humidor idea as to have one for my ready to smoke and the other my new needing to rest.. ofcourse until I out grow them..lol
    One thing to remember is that it is much tougher to keep a sparsely filled humidor up to the proper RH sice the there is so much air. The cigars help keep it humid since their RH drops much slower than air does.

One other thing to think about is a boveda packet. That will help.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 73
    brianetz1:
    kswildcat:
    jgibv:
    Retircs1:

One thing to remember is that it is much tougher to keep a sparsely filled humidor up to the proper RH sice the there is so much air. The cigars help keep it humid since their RH drops much slower than air does.

One other thing to think about is a boveda packet. That will help.
    Yes. Problem is i went a lil nuts (not any were near nuts to what I am sure some would call nuts) and ordered like 35 more sticks which will way more the fill 1 humidor.. So my dilima is to smoke a bunch fast or just order more.. Decisions decisions..lol
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    kswildcat:
    Yes. Problem is i went a lil nuts (not any were near nuts to what I am sure some would call nuts) and ordered like 35 more sticks which will way more the fill 1 humidor.. So my dilima is to smoke a bunch fast or just order more.. Decisions decisions..lol
    Christmas present to self: bigger humidor.
    jgibv:
    Retircs1:

ok would 75 be to high ???
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    75% is too high for storage. But don't panic. If I were dealing with a 75% situation with a deasktop (as an example) I'd just leave the lid open for ten or twenty minutes while I removed the humidifiers that give off moisture. I'd close the lid and see if I get results in 12 or 24 hours. And keep checking every day to see what's going on and try and figure out my next move.
    Bob Luken:
    75% is too high for storage. But don't panic. If I were you I'd just leave the lid open for ten or twenty minutes while you remove the humidifiers that give off moisture. Close the lid and see if you get results in 12 or 24 hours. And keep checking every day to see what's going on and try and figure out your next move.
    I have three draws humi I have bovda packs in each draw 69% ones so remove humidifiers leave draw open
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    75% is too high for storage. But don't panic. If I were you I'd just leave the lid open for ten or twenty minutes while you remove the humidifiers that give off moisture. Close the lid and see if you get results in 12 or 24 hours. And keep checking every day to see what's going on and try and figure out your next move.
    I have three draws humi I have bovda packs in each draw 69% ones so remove humidifiers leave draw open
    I would remove everything at first. Only leave the drawers open for twenty minutes or so. Then later when it becomes time to add humidifiers back in the humi I would ONLY add the bovedas and see what results that gets you.
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    I would remove everything at first. Only leave the drawers open for twenty minutes or so. Then later when it becomes time to add humidifiers back in the humi I would ONLY add the bovedas and see what results that gets you.
    ok remove everything gotch ya
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    roger that
    Retircs1:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    roger that
    To be clear, by "everything" I mean all of your humidification devices. Not the cigars :)
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    roger that
    To be clear, by "everything" I mean all of your humidification devices. Not the cigars :)
    Roger that