Home Cigar 101

cut or punch?

streetracer55streetracer55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
I was just wondering wat is better..a cut or a punch?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Depends on preference; I like a double-bladed cutter personally. I heard tar can build up with a punch, but I've never used one, so I'm not sure if that's true or not
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Same here, I've never used anything else but a Double G. However, I would try a punch cutter if given a chance.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    I have been using a punch lately. One advantage is I havent had a cigar unravel when punching and I smoke Gurkhas!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I carry both, a punch on my lighter and a Xikar multitool. If I punch and the draw is too tight, then I'll cut and loosen it up.
  • streetracer55streetracer55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    great point about the draw being too tight..never really thought about it like that. Thanks!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    I use both. Only had the tar buildup from a punch with Edge lites...... go figure. I switched to a double cutter on them and no more problem. So I guess its all what you feel works for you.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    About the only time I don't use a punch is if I am cutting a torpedo. I have the alrge-gauge punch from Xikar though, its great. On alot of coronas, the punch is almost the same diameter as the head of the cigar, lol.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    alienmisprint:
    About the only time I don't use a punch is if I am cutting a torpedo. I have the alrge-gauge punch from Xikar though, its great. On alot of coronas, the punch is almost the same diameter as the head of the cigar, lol.

Where would one find one of said mondo punch??
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    firetruckguy:
    alienmisprint:

What he said...........

Marty

• leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Try the bidding site. They always have them.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    alienmisprint:
    I got a chance to see one at the Michigan/Ohio herf - the large ring gauge punch is ENORMOUS, lol. It's on my list of accessories to get.
  • DaveTheRookie09DaveTheRookie09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 58
    I like a good cut but due to just ease of use I almost always punch since it is built right into my lighter. Tho I am super pumped about the new Man O War Virtue release deal in May so when I order a box of those I will have a sweet double bladed cutter made of pure awesome and a kick a.s.s. lighter!
  • bass8844bass8844 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 416
    I keep a cheap punch on my keychain, and funny how I always end up using it. 95% of the time I do prefer the punch (unless its a torpedo). I find that when I punch, I end up with less small bits of tobacco in my mouth.

BTW, I've never have had a problem with tar build up.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I've never used a punch, I always cut mine. One time at my B&M, I used a wedge cut they had there just to try it. It was OK, but I like the straight across cut better.

My wife and I are going to Myrtle Beach, SC Thursday to see the world's three greatest granddaughters. While we're there, we'll hit the Blarney Stone cigar bar at Broadway Beach. The last time I was there, they offered to either punch or cut the cigar I bought and I had them cut it. This time, I'll have them punch one just to give it a try.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I like to use a punch on the larger ring gauges...keeps the bits of tobacco out of you mouth.
  • bama3715bama3715 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    I prefer using the punch, however i do cut churchills. I find that tar builds up more on the churchills with the punch.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I cut almost everything, the exception being cigars I know to have a loose draw, on those I'll use a punch to try and tighten things up.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I've use straight, v, and Punch. straight is nice, v little less break up of cigar in mouth punch i have exploded end by putting in to tight of a cigar tabaco needed someplace to go when extra mass was pushed in :(. use it sparingly.
    jlmarta:
    firetruckguy:
    alienmisprint:

What he said...........

Marty

PMs to both of you...
    cooch36:
    I've use straight, v, and Punch. straight is nice, v little less break up of cigar in mouth punch i have exploded end by putting in to tight of a cigar tabaco needed someplace to go when extra mass was pushed in :(. use it sparingly.
    Soiunds like you just needed a sharper (or maybe thinner-bladed?) punch. I have never had any issues with the Xikar I have, and I've punched almost every cigar that I have smoked in the last 6-7 months with it.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    I try a punch first on anything over about a 48-50 ring guage. If the draw is tight then I will cut. Unless it's a torpedo, then I just cut.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    cooch36:

I don't just push my punch into the end of a cigar - I rotate it at the same time. I'm sure most guys do the same. The other thing I've learned is not to 'saw' the cutter back and forth. Just twist it in one direction or you'll end up with a more raggedy cut than you would have otherwise.

I prefer a punch and use it on everything but a torpedo. And, on occasion, I've even used it on a torp by just centering the punch over the point and cutting away. Not as good as a guillotine cutter but it'll work in a pinch.

Marty

• gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    leonard:
    I have been using a punch lately. One advantage is I havent had a cigar unravel when punching and I smoke Gurkhas!
    I thought it was just me! EVERY Gurkha I have cut has unraveled on me without fail... love my punch and only use a cutter on torpedos.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:

I don't just push my punch into the end of a cigar - I rotate it at the same time. I'm sure most guys do the same. The other thing I've learned is not to 'saw' the cutter back and forth. Just twist it in one direction or you'll end up with a more raggedy cut than you would have otherwise.

I prefer a punch and use it on everything but a torpedo. And, on occasion, I've even used it on a torp by just centering the punch over the point and cutting away. Not as good as a guillotine cutter but it'll work in a pinch.

Marty

ok thanks for the info i will punch accordingly :)
  • wingertgwingertg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    It's all about what you like. I use a 308 shell casing that I had from killing a trophy buck. But if you're smoking a smaller ring gauge I would use a double g. cutter.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I honestly went into cigar smoking thinking that cutting was the way to go, but now that I've smoked a few cut, and a few punched, I am sort of starting to lean towards punching in general. It seems to preserve the integrity of the wrap better.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    TatuajeVI:
    alienmisprint:
    I got a chance to see one at the Michigan/Ohio herf - the large ring gauge punch is ENORMOUS, lol. It's on my list of accessories to get.
    I wonder if it's the one I have? It's a big punch. I use it on the 56-60's. Really the only time I use a cutter is when I have a torp.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    In my humble little opinion a punch is the "safe" way to cut a cigar. The punch eliminates the need to find the edges of the cap and make sure you don't cut them off when you cut the cigar. I prefer to take my time with my Xikar MTX scissors and find edges of the cap and just barely miss them. But I surely wouldn't blame anyone that wanted to punch a cigar.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    double blade on as much as I can. Every now and then I improvise with a home made punch (Pen, Key or paperclip) But mostly the double blade. Churchill used the blunt end of a wooden match.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    madurofan:
    In my humble little opinion a punch is the "safe" way to cut a cigar. The punch eliminates the need to find the edges of the cap and make sure you don't cut them off when you cut the cigar. I prefer to take my time with my Xikar MTX scissors and find edges of the cap and just barely miss them. But I surely wouldn't blame anyone that wanted to punch a cigar.
    i can see exactly what you are saying. my Xikar punch is "in the shop" so im only using my xikar double guillotine. it takes some getting used to but its not a bad cut. i think i like the punch better still .