Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555

Whats the ring guage of your punches?

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Fourtotheflush:

Whats the ring guage of your punches?

THIS is the punch i use. im not sure on the ring but Xikar's site says:
    "...the 7mm blade"
    since mine is in the shop, i cant bust out the ruler and tell you if thats across or if that is how far it extends.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    That's about an 18 gauge
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    I just recently bought my first punch and I've gotta say it is awesome! No more unraveling and no more bits of tobacco to worry about! Love it!
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    Just thought id bump this up as i sit here looking back as ive evolved, i started using a cheapo double blade, then bought a nicer one, after a few months i moved onto a punch and the double blade and for the last two months ive used a v cutter almost exclusively. I like the v cut because it seems to combine the best of the double blade and the punch, it keeps a lot of the cap, opens it up for an easy draw, can be used on most any cigars, takes out the bit of tobacco thats right at the cap that always seems to mess up my draw; and i like to bite down on the cap so i like how it opens up with the v cut without destroying the cap.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    My B&M will cut or punch... have tried both... being a dipper who moved to cigars after 10 years.. well tobacco in the mouth doesn't bother me at all.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I like a punch on smaller ring gages like coronas.
  • TeegeTeege Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 660
    I like an easier draw so i cut mostly.
  • DCarp2005DCarp2005 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 140
    I punch pretty much all of my cigars regardless of ring gauge. The convience of having a punch on your lighter makes it unnecessary to carry a cutter as well. I also like the punch because I don't have the bits of tobacco that a cutter typically leaves. Just my $.02
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I have a few little rules for this: 1) if the ring gauge is very small 50 and below, double g cutter 2) if the ring gauge is 52+, punch 3) torpedo or belicoso, double g cutter 4) worried if the cap will crack, v-cut...though that's probably not the best to use...just my preference
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    I V-Cut everything but torps etc. Smaller ring gauges (like lanceros) i usually cut, Sometimes V-Cut it all depends on what i have next to me at that time. But i also rarely smoke anything over 52.

But as you see i love the v-cut, started with a punch moved to Double G, found v-cut and fell in love with it.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    I'll use a punch on anything over 52, but like JHewey, I try not to smoke 'em over 52, so I don't use one very much.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    I personally use a punch more often than not. My cutter has 2 size punches and a cutter with about a 52 ring gauge on it. So I try smallest punch first. Some sticks like the bigger punch hole better, and if it gets crappy i cut it. I dont like to cut the tip anymore though, too much tobacco in my mouth. I much prefer punching.