Home Cigar 101

seasoning my new humi...

robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
so, as some of you know, I just bought a Waxingmoon humi... here she is... pre-season...
Photobucket

anyway, I put teh big soaked sponge in there almost exactly 24 hours ago... and I assume this is gonna take a while cuz she is a big girl... anyway, we started at 49%... got up to 52% by bed time... 62% at 6am... 65% at noon... and DOWN to 62% at 1:30... she is now at 63%...

it's obviously a glass top so I have yet to open it and I assume the RH dropped a little because the wood is absorbing the distilled water gas that has accumulated in the air... but I'm thinking of opening her up and re-soaking the sponge or adding a shot glass of distilled water... is this a bad idea?

Comments

• minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
    Use a shallow dish of distilled water along with your humidifier and just let it sit. Edit: man that thing is pretty. Grats.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    that is one sweet looking humi!!! congrats!
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    sweet lookin! I spy a Casa Magna in there...
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    sweet humi. not to be a buzz kill but should your cigars be in there yet?
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Very nice humi. You can open it once every 24 hrs without too much trouble - sure, some humidity will escape, but so long as it's only once a day, the impact should be minimal; so open it up if you want and check to make sure everything's filled, etc. Also, a wide, shallow dish would be better than a shot glass - so a dish and your sponge should do pretty well

It's hard as hell, but patience is the name of the game with seasoning a new humi
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    cooch36:
    sweet humi. not to be a buzz kill but should your cigars be in there yet?
    I took the pick with them in there for effect... they are not in there now...
    I think I'm going to add a shot glass of distilled in there tonight and see how it goes...
    xmacro:
    Very nice humi. You can open it once every 24 hrs without too much trouble - sure, some humidity will escape, but so long as it's only once a day, the impact should be minimal; so open it up if you want and check to make sure everything's filled, etc. Also, a wide, shallow dish would be better than a shot glass - so a dish and your sponge should do pretty well

It's hard as hell, but patience is the name of the game with seasoning a new humi
    good call... I'll just leave some water in the dish when i place it back in... thanks!
    I re-soaked the sponge and left some still water in the dish as well... this was around 5:30pm yesterday... When I woke up this am I saw a 71% reading!!! wooo hooo...
    we are about 67 hours in and with a 71% reading, I am very pleased... I have an XL 70% Heartfelt tube and I'll get those babies in there in a right around the 72 hour mark (2pm PST)... uncharged of course... At this rate, I should be able to starting filling her up on Friday...

I will be celebrating my 70% reading with an A. Fernandez Sig Robusto... nothing too major, but I've been wanting to try it...feel free to join me from where ever you are!!!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    That's one beautiful humi you got there, and nice job on the patiently executed seasoning. I'll celebrate with you from Maine, the AJ Fernandez signature series is a fantastic cigar.

Is that burly maple?
    bigharpoon:
    That's one beautiful humi you got there, and nice job on the patiently executed seasoning. I'll celebrate with you from Maine, the AJ Fernandez signature series is a fantastic cigar.

Is that burly maple?
    Curly Maple with Cocobolo accents... but i really know NOTHING about wood... Waxingmoon is the guy to talk to about all that... I just know it's beautiful and the fiance likes it... win win... and it should hold about 160 sticks...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Love that humidor!
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Very sweet. Waxingmoon sure does some beautiful work doesn't he? May have to break down and buy a piece off him. Right now, I just want to put all my $$$ into sticks. This does create the problem of not having a beautiful piece of furniture to show them off in. My 3 other humi's are all just nice not beautiful like Waxingmoons' work, the 4 foot coolerdor just doesn't look good in the livingroom :)
    laker1963:
    Very sweet. Waxingmoon sure does some beautiful work doesn't he? May have to break down and buy a piece off him. Right now, I just want to put all my $$$ into sticks. This does create the problem of not having a beautiful piece of furniture to show them off in. My 3 other humi's are all just nice not beautiful like Waxingmoons' work, the 4 foot coolerdor just doesn't look good in the livingroom :)
    the big one will become my everyday humi... then I'll have 2 spare 50 counts... not sure what to do with them to be honest... but I'm sure I'll come up with something...
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Could always fill up one of the 5-counts with some cheap smokes and offer to guests (helps as a tactical decoy to keep them away from your good stash)
    call me crazy, but one of them will always be at least half filled with Ccom Brazilian Label... love em
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    PM to you Robby.
    robbyras:
    laker1963:
    the big one will become my everyday humi... then I'll have 2 spare 50 counts... not sure what to do with them to be honest... but I'm sure I'll come up with something...
    Dedicated ager!
    Yeah... that's a good call... we all know that a 50 CT humi isn't too hard to fill... but I might be willing to trade it if the deal is right...
    Harpoon... you should get your end of our trade today...
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    Beautiful unit!!
    (that's what she said)
    robbyras:
    I re-soaked the sponge and left some still water in the dish as well... this was around 5:30pm yesterday... When I woke up this am I saw a 71% reading!!! wooo hooo...
    we are about 67 hours in and with a 71% reading, I am very pleased... I have an XL 70% Heartfelt tube and I'll get those babies in there in a right around the 72 hour mark (2pm PST)... uncharged of course... At this rate, I should be able to starting filling her up on Friday...

I will be celebrating my 70% reading with an A. Fernandez Sig Robusto... nothing too major, but I've been wanting to try it...feel free to join me from where ever you are!!!
    ok... so we have an issue... we got up to 75% right around noon and I was preparing to put in my uncharged beads.... I came back after lunch and she was down to 72 and now we are down to 68... dropped 7% in a few hours... any thoughts?
    Temperature? Wood absorbing moisture that's no longer in the air (where the hygro reads it)?
    yeah... i figured that was it, but the drop was fast... I didn't open it... i'm just gonna leave it for now...
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    If you are interested in trading away or selling one of your 50ct's I would be interested. I only have a 20ct right now and am looking to upgrade a bit soon.
    Don't pay attention to those fluctuations - it's completely normal as it acclimates - the wood is breathing - don't expect it to be some kind of linear progression. You're good - enjoy it.
    kaelaria:
    Don't pay attention to those fluctuations - it's completely normal as it acclimates - the wood is breathing - don't expect it to be some kind of linear progression. You're good - enjoy it.
    That's good advice... the problem is that is has a glass top and it's in my living room so I peep in every time I walk by... i'll just let it rest for another night... I figured this would take a week or so...
    coachjamie:
    If you are interested in trading away or selling one of your 50ct's I would be interested. I only have a 20ct right now and am looking to upgrade a bit soon.
    Hey Coach... if you're interested, PM me an offer... I'd be looking for sticks, so check my BIO to see what I am looking for...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    kaelaria:
    Beautiful unit!!

kaelaria:
    (that's what she said)
    ah ha ha ZING!!
    robbyras:
    robbyras:

ok... so we have an issue... we got up to 75% right around noon and I was preparing to put in my uncharged beads.... I came back after lunch and she was down to 72 and now we are down to 68... dropped 7% in a few hours... any thoughts?
    Well, got it back to 71% overnight and I put in the uncharged beads this am. If we are still at 70% tomorrow morning, I'll take the dish out and start putting in the sticks... very excited... I'll post some picks when I get it loaded...