Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947

urbino:
    Well, I was just about to go out and have a Padilla 1968 torpedo, but it's hailing, now. Maybe I'll pass.

The hail you say .....

• LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Tumbler:
    I had my first Padilla Miami tonight. It started off reminding me of the Habano - pretty spicey, but it abruptly changed to a nutty, woody, leather flavor. I was really liking this cigar about 1/2 the way in, and then it became a little too cigar lite, but it finished up nice. Need to try this again.
    Tumbler, was this from COTM...I just got mine? I dawned on me that I think the only Padilla I've had is the habano and I liked it very much. So what else does Padilla make worth trying?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Luko:
    So what else does Padilla make worth trying?
    You mean besides everything? :)
    Nothing for me Monday or Tuesday , not planned, you know when your really busy work and home and time just seems to disappear ..... maybe tommorow
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I'm a big fan of the 1968. Haven't tried their other anniversary cigars, yet. I didn't care for the Obsidian. The Achilles is a good middle-of-the-road cigar.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    j0z3r:
    Luko:
    Oh, right you're a padilla man. And a padron fan too, right.
    Luko:
    j0z3r:
    Luko:
    Oh, right you're a padilla man. And a padron fan too, right.
    Indeed. I've come to find that if the brand starts with "P", I probably like it...Perdomo, Padilla, Padron...yep.

But not for nothing, Padilla makes some really excellent cigars. The Miami, Sig. 1948, Sig. 1932, 1968, Habano, Achilles, even the Obsidian is good though problematic.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Had a root canal done this afternoon, then had to go in to work on my night off, since my new cook can't start yet because we're still waiting for his background check. So I decided to end the evening with a Fuente Don Carlos and a couple glasses of my homemade apple wine. Other than the jaw hurting when I open my mouth or puff, it's quite nice. Though I should be in bed, since I have to be over at the new house in 7 hours to meet a contractor to get an estimate on a new sewer line (seller is footing the bill, thankfully).
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well last night I had a friend over for a smoke so I decided to try my Zino Classic and it wasn't a bad smoke. It was a little on the mild side for what I was in the mood for, but developed more flavor during the last half of it. It's not something I would rush out to buy more of, but it was a good smoke for the evening. It was a robusto and took a little over an hour to smoke. It had some light nutty notes throughout but the first half just wasn't very flavorful at all.

Sunday night had a couple smokes and it was a GOOD night. Started the night with a Tatuaje Exclusivo Lado Occidental that was out of this world! Great full bodied smoke with spice and wood and lots of flavor. Burn and draw was near perfect. Pete Johnson makes some damn fine smokes. Next that night I had a Gurkha Park Ave. and it was a suprisingly good smoke. I've heard some mixed reviews on here but I enjoyed it. Had a lot more flavor that I was expecting and I enjoyed it very much. I will have to pick up some more of these when I have a chance.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I had a NUB CONN TORP and it was very tastey.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Smoking a La Aroma de Cuba today. I think tonight I will have a Hemingway Maduro Masterpiece. Been saving it since August. Got a few of these and a few other sizes. I think 5, almost 6 months is good. Damn expensive though, oh and freakin BIG!
  • Henry1Henry1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 20
    I'm smoking a partagas serie d no 4 . These are definitely one of my favoite cigars, they are so consistant. Realy good draw and burn, and loads of flavour. I recently read an article on this website on tasting cigars, that said you need to blow some of the smoke out through your nose to taste them properly. Before reading this I could pick up flavours, but found it hard to put my finger on what they reminded me of. well this cigar definitely has a hint of cocoa and also vannila. I know you guys find it hard to get cubans on your side of the water, but If any of you fancy doing a trade some time then these are the ones to ask me for.
    Henry1:
    I'm smoking a partagas serie d no 4 . These are definitely one of my favoite cigars, they are so consistant. Realy good draw and burn, and loads of flavour. I recently read an article on this website on tasting cigars, that said you need to blow some of the smoke out through your nose to taste them properly. Before reading this I could pick up flavours, but found it hard to put my finger on what they reminded me of. well this cigar definitely has a hint of cocoa and also vannila. I know you guys find it hard to get cubans on your side of the water, but If any of you fancy doing a trade some time then these are the ones to ask me for.
    Henry, you have a PM.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    zoom6zoom:
    Had a frustrating day at work, 12 hours, no breaks, got home exhausted. Wasn't even going to light up but then decided on a La Aurora 1495. What great therapy. A perfect smoke.
    Same for me, mine was a 1495/1994 Cameroon. Very tastey, this is one of my favorite go to cigars.
  • cheymancheyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    I'm putting together my shopping list for next month. SoI thought I would only smoking Gurkha's this week.
    Monday: Fuerte.
    Tuesday: Grand Age Perfecto.
    Wednesday: Triple Ligero.
    Thursday: Black Puro.
    Friday: Doble Maduro.
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    Gran Habano 3 Siglos... Always love the spice in these puppies... Not in my top 5, but certainly highly regarded!!!
    I tied out a Legends Copper Label today, the one by Drew Estates. Ok, the good on this cigar, the actual cigar has an interesting taste that lingers sweet on the lips and this is interesting for a while, after about 15 minutes, however, the novelty started to wear thin and I was less than impressed. If I was a fan of infused cigars, this might be right up my alley, but I'm not and it's not. After that, I lit up a La Aroma de Cuba robusto, I really like the flavor of this cigar, the flavor does remind somewhat of a Cuban cigar...it's not a dead ringer, but there are a couple of similarities.

First smoke since Sunday...Gurkha master select...ok...not really impressed  ...only had time for about 2/3 rds of it but wasn't really crapped out i could not finish, kinda bland,not a lot of distinquishable flavors...maybe a bad stick???

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Jozer, your review reminds me of the few times I've tried those weirdo alternabeers (like Smirnoff Ice or that Bud Light Lime thingy). The first half of one goes down smooth and tasty. Then you get sick of it and never want to drink it again. Ever.

I fired up a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet robusto, courtesy of Puro as a tagalong in our recent trade. I liked the torpedo I'd smoked before, but this was stupendous. Spicy to start, then the spice slowly faded into the background for a smooth ride to the finish. Both times I've had this blend, the body has built steadily over time to a perfect plateau of nearly medium-full. I think I'll pick up more of these babies at their price point. Great value.
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Had my first Padron tonight. Fuller-bodied than what I'm used to. Had to relight a couple of times because the center was burning, but not the wrapper, but the flavor was very nice. A bit strong of a smoke for me. But at the same time, I smoked it until I could no longer hold it because I was loving the flavor. Later, I found myself coughing up phlegm. A good smoke. But not an everyday smoke.
    Padrons are one of the few cigars I could smoke daily Shawn, of course that shows where my taste in a cigar are a bit different than your own tastes. What size did you have? I'm a big fan of the Padron 3000, which is like a fatter, longer robusto at 5.5x 52, I like it because it gives that Padron taste with a slightly more mellow approach.

I snuck one more in tonight, a Don Pepin Cuban Classic robusto...this is a beautiful cigar, could be my favorite offering from Don Pepin. Definitely a keeper.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Padrons generally are on the strong end of the spectrum, so I'd say your reaction isn't unusual, Shawn. Maybe you've found the upper end of your preferred strength range, which is a good thing to know.

Nothing for me again tonight. Worked too late, and it's hella windy.
    dutyje:
    Jozer, your review reminds me of the few times I've tried those weirdo alternabeers (like Smirnoff Ice or that Bud Light Lime thingy). The first half of one goes down smooth and tasty. Then you get sick of it and never want to drink it again. Ever.

I fired up a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet robusto, courtesy of Puro as a tagalong in our recent trade. I liked the torpedo I'd smoked before, but this was stupendous. Spicy to start, then the spice slowly faded into the background for a smooth ride to the finish. Both times I've had this blend, the body has built steadily over time to a perfect plateau of nearly medium-full. I think I'll pick up more of these babies at their price point. Great value.
    Glad you enjoyed the Sol Cubano Duty. That has become one of my favorites. Great flavor and you can always find deals on them.
    Smoked the Hemingway Masterpiece Maduro last night. Nice taste, much different than a normal Hemingway. Now for the bad. I used a punch and it stated to develop some tar early on. Easily fixed with a cutter. Then my nose got all stuffed up and I wasn't able to fully enjoy it until somewhere near the end when my nose started to clear up. As much as I like Hemingways, the maduros are not a favorite of mine and the Masterpiece is way to big. Took forever to smoke. Oh, and I had to relight a bunch of times near then end. I think part of the problem was me and my slow smoking but other times it went out almost right after I lit it. The humidity in that humidor is around 63-65 so I know it wasn't to moist.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    You know, Wheelie, I don't think I posted up about the Masterpiece on here. I received one from Urby in the Boffo sampler, and have been wondering when in the hell I'd be able to smoke it. My parents came into town a couple weeks ago when it was downright beautiful outside. The kids were playing in the moon bounce, and we were hanging out in the yard and on the deck all day.

My dad and I were playing some lasso golf, and I decided to fire up a cigar. It was still early in the day (1-ish?), so I pulled out the big gun. The wrapper near the end was cracked, and while it lit well, I couldn't get much smoke out of it until it burned past the crack. I thought the flavor was spectacular, and delivered a delightful experience which was perfect for having fun out back all day. At just under 2.5 hours, I don't think I could ever just sit down and smoke one, but it was wonderful to have something to last the whole afternoon. Then I went inside for a siesta. I thought it was a perfect all-day smoke for that sort of occassion. Now that I've had it, I can think of many instances where something that big would be perfect. Just not my usual evening smoke with a book.
    I just wish my nose wasn't as clogged. I actualy bought two of these and this one had a gouge missing hear the foot. It never got replaced because they weren't in stock so I just sucked it up and smoked it. I still like the regular hemingways better but I wouldn't turn this down. They are just hard to buy because of the price. Why pay more for something when there is something you like better for less? I still have a bunch of smaller Hemingway Maduros so I'm still good on that front.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    PM in your box there wheelie
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    cheyman:
    I'm putting together my shopping list for next month. SoI thought I would only smoking Gurkha's this week.
    You'll have to let me (us) know what you think of these. I have all them but haven't tried them as of yet.
    phobicsquirrel:
    cheyman:
    You'll have to let me (us) know what you think of these. I have all them but haven't tried them as of yet.
    I have all of these as well. I think I have yet to try the black puro.
  • Henry1Henry1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 20
    Tonight I am smoking a rocky patel decade. First time I have tried one, I'm realy enjoying it