Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    Last night I smoked a Nub Connecticut that I got from Cabinetmaker in a PIF. I think it was the 460. I noticed that the Nub had a pretty good crack in it from the foot about half an inch up the stick. I didn't have high hopes for it. I figured that it would start to unravel and have an awful burn. I was dead wrong. The burn was a little off until I got through the point that was cracked then it immediately corrected itself and smoked perfectly through to the end. I have had most of the Nub cigars and have always enjoyed them. Tonight I had a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. I noticed a soft spot right in the middle of the cigar so I anticipated some burn problems. The draw was a bit looser than I prefer but not bad. The flavor was good but when I got to the soft spot it needed a bit of a touch up. It was burning very unevenly. But I smoked it all the way to the nub and thouroughly enjoyed it. I think tomorrow I will go for the Vintage 1992.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Had that Tabak Especial today while sitting outside at work. It was ok. I wasn't impressed. I would have liked to taste more coffee from the cigar but less or no sweetness on the wrapper. That's the one thing I don't like about the ACID line. I don't like to taste the flaver when I like the wrapper. Oh, not bad but not great. I kinda thought the tobacco itself was a little harsh.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    Had that Tabak Especial today while sitting outside at work. It was ok. I wasn't impressed. I would have liked to taste more coffee from the cigar but less or no sweetness on the wrapper. That's the one thing I don't like about the ACID line. I don't like to taste the flaver when I like the wrapper. Oh, not bad but not great. I kinda thought the tobacco itself was a little harsh.

I have never had any harshness from those ...hhmmm not much coffee flavor either ...I hate to say it but maybe a bum stick ...which is a shame if thats your one and only experience with it.
    Had a HDM Excalibur Limited ? today at work. A gift from a co-worker. Pretty decent ...had a major crack in the wrapper though but did not hinder it to bad ...decent flavor decent smoke overall ok smoke. Anyone had any experience with these? A guy I work with brought me one as homeage for something he did or didn't do haha...you gotta love the new guys ...FNG ...haha ...
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Just put out a Padilla 1932 robusto - never a dissapointment.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Today was Rocky Patel Decades.. It is all good that has been mentioned here. The burn went on forever, at an hour and forty five, and the flavor profile was abundant and constatly pleasing. This is my new favorite Rocky. even more so than the much admired 1992. Thanks geno for the gift of Decades.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Gurhka Titan...pretty good...much better than the beast, not as good as the legend.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    Currently enjoying a Sol Cubano Sumatra Churchill thanks to Maddy. He sent this to me just after the first of the year and I have been waiting patiently to try it. So far it is a great stick. Time has done it well, it sports a perfect draw and burn. The lick the cap was somewhat sweet...so much as to surprise me a bit. wonderful cigar so far. Thanks goes to Maddy for this one!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I really enjoy the SC Sumatra Brandon, I like that natural sweetness you mentioned. I was really bummed out when I heard they were to be discontinued.

Today was an El Rey del Mundo choix supreme habana. Very nice little robusto, packed with flavor and a nice medium body. Excellent cigar for just about any time of day.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Just got back fromthe softball game. Had an ESG Torpedo. It started off just ok but got better as I got into it. Took about an inch to develop. I did get some tar buildup. Not sure why. If anything the cigar might have been a little dry and not too moist. Also, the draw was perfect so that rules out the tightness. When I cut it again, you could see the tar actually started earlier in the cigar.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Just finished a Padilla Artisan (not to be confused with the Sol Cubano Artisan - bleh) which had a flavor profile similar to the Padilla 1932, nice smoke.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Had A Sancho Panza today... not my cup of tea. Very bland, without much flavor other than what I can only describe as earth. It was a new one for me, and I don't believe I'll be seeking out another.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I'm moving to Massachusetts for two weeks and I smoked a good-bye cigar with Stan. I had a MoW Ruination, which was fantastic until the very end. Great smoke with a great guy.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
    Hahah - beat me to the post, Joe! I had a La Aurora Maduro with Beta and I must say the cigar was very good! I have grown to expect La Aurora to make mild or medium smokes that are smooth and sweet, but this one packed a nice punch! Gotta get me some more now...
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I had a 13 month old Rocky Patel Double Maduro Fusion... sucks that this was my last one for this was a pleasing smoke!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Last night I had a La Aroma de Cuba ee that was awesome! Perfect burn and draw with awesome flavor. On the full side of Med-Full and lots of thick rich smoke. Burned for 2+ hours without a single touch up required. My buddy brought over a Zino Platinum that had to have been 8-9 inches long and a 50 or 52 and my churchill La Aroma lasted longer than the Zino. We smoke around the same pace but my cigar just burned so slow and so cool it just lasted forever. This is one I will have to get again soon!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555

I had a perdomo2 (squared) 2008. I think I got it in my MAW package or maybe from Cholmes, I have to look that up. I had it for at least 6 weeks resting. It started off rather unremarkable for the 1st half inch. Then it opened up and smoothed out to a nice creamy buttery smoke for the remainder of the 1st third. The 2nd third was even better as a nut, chashew, flavor became really REALLY pronounced. The cashew actually surprised me when it hit me. It came in in 1 puff like it was a different cigar. Nice cigar mild/med very flavorful, very complex!.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Fourtotheflush:

I had a perdomo2 (squared) 2008. I think I got it in my MAW package or maybe from Cholmes, I have to look that up. I had it for at least 6 weeks resting. It started off rather unremarkable for the 1st half inch. Then it opened up and smoothed out to a nice creamy buttery smoke for the remainder of the 1st third. The 2nd third was even better as a nut, chashew, flavor became really REALLY pronounced. The cashew actually surprised me when it hit me. It came in in 1 puff like it was a different cigar. Nice cigar mild/med very flavorful, very complex!.

Confirmed that I got this from BRSmith in my MAW package! Thank you for this great cigar.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I smoked an Olivia "O". Mild smoke, I really enjoyed it.
  • bibbybibby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    Went with a MX2 box press yesterday; crisp burn and nice chocolately and java flavors, but not over powering, very nice.

Rob
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    First one of the night was CAO Mx2, and it was really good. Very impressed with the cigar. Later in the night I had a RP Sun Grown which had some burn issues and I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. Might be something I try again later on.
    Just finished a Padilla Habano ...I loved the flavor spicey/pepper ...a little tight on the draw...had to re-cut to open it up a little...went out a couple of times but tasted very good ...last 3rd had me slightly light headed ...a little rush from this sucker ...good cigar ...
  • bibbybibby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    andrewh:
    First one of the night was CAO Mx2, and it was really good. Very impressed with the cigar. Later in the night I had a RP Sun Grown which had some burn issues and I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. Might be something I try again later on.
    Interesting Andrew, I really enjoyed the RP Sungrown. I had it while playing golf, which is hard to really give the stogie enough attention, but it was nice medium-fullish feel and solid earthy, leather, and spice aromas for me. Definintely give it another shot, the burn was even very good considering I was outdoors and moving.

Rob
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Just finished a Perdomo ESV 91 epicure....great smoke....im beginnig to be a big Perdomo fan!
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    bibby:
    andrewh:
    Interesting Andrew, I really enjoyed the RP Sungrown. I had it while playing golf, which is hard to really give the stogie enough attention, but it was nice medium-fullish feel and solid earthy, leather, and spice aromas for me. Definintely give it another shot, the burn was even very good considering I was outdoors and moving.

Rob
    Will do! I was really looking forward to it, so I definitely plan to give it another shot. I've heard only good things about it.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    andrewh:
    bibby:
    andrewh:

Rob
    Will do! I was really looking forward to it, so I definitely plan to give it another shot. I've heard only good things about it.

I have only had the RP Sungrown once as well. I don't remember it much, but I don't think it wowed me the first time around. My tastes have changed quite a bit since then tho.

I have another one in the humi right now thanks to a trade with robert69165. I'll have to give it another try after this one has sat for a while.

This morning I had a Padilla Habano Torpedo. They always satisfy me as a morning, over a coffee, while sitting in the back-yard smoke. Great way to start a day :)
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Just had a Puros Huerfanos Blend 52X, not a horrible smoke but by no means good either. It was barely good enough to keep smoking, not something I would reccomend.
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I had tried to purchase theedge in a 6 X 60 and they didn't have any, so they sold me the golden bear from padilla. I have to admit I was a bit thrown when they showed up with no bands. But in reading on the net now that is they way they come. Have to say, I'm glad I got 25 of the suckers.

Hmmm, Steven Tyler is singing smile with the big band....not so much.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    Going outside right now to enjoy a CAO Brazilia
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    I got an order in today, the CCom Brazilian label daily and deal and the 5 Vegas Miami knuckles that were offered at the checkout screen. Awesome deal, and I realized once again why ordering online is so much easier on my wallet than buying from the shop. It's a lot easier to keep a stock when I get in on the daily deals. Anyway, I smoked one of the Miamis and it was damn good. Great flavor, and one of the most perfect burns I've ever had. The wrapper cracked, but I think that was from me taking off the band. It was nice finally being able to kick back with a cigar, I haven't been smoking much at all over the last couple of months. Thanks to CCom, I have quite a few to last me for a bit.