Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• BigDan.BigDan. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    rusirius:
    BigDan.:
    OPUS X oh my goodness amazing cigar full bodied so much flavor but so fuckin xpensive gotta love it
    Wow Big Bad Dan... You're moving up in the world... Going from nothing and asking for handouts right up to smoking a $30+ cigar! Not to mention throw in Cali's tobacco tax on top of it!

haha you think i can afford a opus x hahahaha no way, this was actually given to me by a friend he has a handful at home and he is just said here ya go. i wouldnt be asking for handouts if i could afford a opus because 1. thats just rude 2. i would be able to afford cigars over 3 dollars 3. i would have about 20 threads about how i wasted my money on these expensive cigars that sucked before i knew what i was doing
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Well today I'm waiting for the girlfriend to get home and right before that I gotta cook dinner so I'm trying to squeeze in a Rocky Patel Fusion Double Maduro...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    After going the whole weekend without a single cigar, I had begun to break out in cold sweats and dry heaves. To remedy this, I just finished up with a lovely 5 Vegas Limitada 2007. What can I say that hasn't already been said about 5 Vegas?, it's just a really solid line of cigars and I love them all.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    j0z3r:
    After going the whole weekend without a single cigar, I had begun to break out in cold sweats and dry heaves. To remedy this, I just finished up with a lovely 5 Vegas Limitada 2007. What can I say that hasn't already been said about 5 Vegas?, it's just a really solid line of cigars and I love them all.
    I've had the cold sweat and dry heaves thing too... then I just shot up more heroin
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I was really really really bad tonight. I went to a local B&M and spent $300. I went in to buy some Rocky Patel Decadas Torpedos. The ones that were rated 95 by Cigar Aficionado. Walked out with 6. Then I bought 4 Fuente Sungrown Cuban Belicoso. Then I bought 2 Padron 1926 40th Anniversary Maduro and 2 Habano. Then as I was walking out, he said to me "Want some Opus X?" Who was I to say no? So I bought 4 Perfecxion X (I think). (I gauged the size with the length of the royal brigade which is 6" and the Opus X is slightly longer.) I won't be smoking them for at least 2 years. Then as I as checking out, he said to me. Ever have an Ashton ESG? Here ya go, on me! Gave me a churchhill.

I had to make serious room and over pack my humidors. I will age 4 of the Rocky Patel, maybe one or two of the sungrown, obviously the Opus X and the Padrons. I will smoke the ESG soon. I still have to try the Camacho Triple Maduro but I have a serious cold. My sore throat finally went away today but I am congested like a MOFO and have a headache. Oh, and Gurkha came out with a new Titan II. I must get a few, but not for a few weeks. I'm still looking for the Shaggy too.
    Sounds like a nice haul. If you need help with some of the overcrowding, I'll pm you my address and you can send the Fuentes, Padrons and OpusX's and I'll be happy to store them for you. :)

Today was a good day indeed. I just finished up an Ashton VSG and it was sublime, perfect draw, razor sharp burn and such a depth of flavor. I wish I had another right now. Many thanks to Luko for this one.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Glad to hear, joseph...that one's been on my to-do list and I haven't gotten to it. I'm making a b&m stop this week and i'll picking that one up.
    i had a la cuna bin no. 85 and a blue label. i wasnt thrilled with the blue label at first but the end was incredible i loved the la cuna. i still im stuck on the fonsecas though its a great cigar
  • matt dmatt d Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Had a Padron 1964 Anniversary Series.  I'm a new smoker so this packed quite a punch for me.  My palette obviously doesn't have the breadth of experience to discern individual tastes, so I mostly felt overwhelmed by a bit of pepper.  Having said that, I did pick up on some earthy notes and at times, some almost buttery tones.

I don't have a humidor yet so smoked it after having bought it yesterday.  I assume that had the cigar been properly aged and rested that it would have been a lot more to me.  But, as I said, I did enjoy it.

-Matt
    First of all welcome to the site Matt

second of all im glad to hear you enjoyed this cigar. ive heard a lot about it. i believe it is a full bodied cigar which could be a lot for a new smoker but some ppl naturally like full bodied cigars. im more of a medium-full person like almost full but not quite. you probably did taste all those flavors. make sure you use ur nose while u smoke bcuz u will experience much of the flavor through ur nose. i actually just exerienced a buttery flavor today i really enjoyed this it was an incredible sensation.

anyways enjoy the smokes. i suggest you get a humidor as soon as possible. and stick around
  • StoogeeStoogee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    Joe I know what you mean with that VSG it is probably my favorite cigar to date Nothing better then an ashton vsg and a good single malt scotch. That being said tonight I smoked a man'o'war and after a few weeks in the humi it burned nicely which for me has been rare with these I think a few weeks of rest helps the burn issues a lot. after that I had a few beers and decided to light up a punch rare corojo which is one of my favorite cigars that is affordable for an every day smoke and it didnt let me down.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I went to my local B&M and smoked the Macanudo 1968. Very dissapointed. Ill write up a quick review on the ratings and reviews page.

Its probably not a bad cigar, but it was so full bodies that it overwhelmed my palate about 1/3rd the way in and I had burn issues all the way including this thing snuffing itseld out twice. And not for lack of attention.

My opinion on this now is that it probably needs some aging. I ended up with 4 extra through give aways that are resting in my Humi that will sit there for a while. I'm planning on letting them rest for at least 6 months at this point until I get to the point where, even if I dont prefer full bodied, I can handle a full bodied cigar.
    j0z3r:
    Sounds like a nice haul. If you need help with some of the overcrowding, I'll pm you my address and you can send the Fuentes, Padrons and OpusX's and I'll be happy to store them for you. :)

Today was a good day indeed. I just finished up an Ashton VSG and it was sublime, perfect draw, razor sharp burn and such a depth of flavor. I wish I had another right now. Many thanks to Luko for this one.
    I'll keep that in mind
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Be sure to try that one after you have been enjoying cigars for a while. As strange as it may sound that cigar will be far more appreciated by an experienced cigar smoker. Not to say you didn't have a nice experience with it, this is a great flavorful stick, but the strength can put off some newer smokers. Once you get a humidor pick up another and age it for a special time.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Think I'm gonna partake in one of the Cusano C-10's that came in the other day. Cuban Seed Ecuadorian Wrapper and Mexican Sumatra wrapper, YUMMY! One of my new faves.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    madurofan:
    Think I'm gonna partake in one of the Cusano C-10's that came in the other day. Cuban Seed Ecuadorian Wrapper and Mexican Sumatra wrapper, YUMMY! One of my new faves.
    Damn Maddy, I had that exact cigar in my hand this morning to take along for the ride home, what size are you gpoing for, ( this one is a robusto) but left it on the table all day !! Now it has to go back for some re-humidifacation, It will have to wait for another day...
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I'm having a Crown Corona tonight. I bought a box of the crown corona's and got 4 singles of the robustos. If you like it you may want to hurry up and get some they are discontinued. Ccom is the only place I could find that still has boxes and they only have the Coronas.
    i had a flor de oliva i didnt find the sweet tip all that great and my palatte is burnt out but i could leave this cigar alone for like 5 minutes and then give it some work and it would smoke just fine without re-lighting it
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    5 vegas miami compliments of Senor Jose...thanks, pal. This was only the second 5 Vegas I've had - didn't like the first and this one kicked ass. I feel like by and large, I've lucked out. Very few burn issues, etc. This cigar lit and burned great. Held a steady, consistent slightly spicy flavor throughout. It went and got itself nubbed.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight was a R&J Reserve Real Churchill. Not impressed - almost no flavor
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    Had a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Espescial Robusto tonight. It had great flavors, but didn't deliver at it's price point. Hopefully more age in the Humidor will make the flavors come out more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    vankleekkw:
    Had a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Espescial Robusto tonight. It had great flavors, but didn't deliver at it's price point. Hopefully more age in the Humidor will make the flavors come out more.
    thats strange. I have always thought that it preformed above its price point. i just made a reccomendation to a friend for that specific cigar. hmmmm goes to show different strokes for different folks.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Tonight begins my tour through the Urby boffo sampler. To kick things off, I tried the 601 Black Connecticut.... Connecticut wrapper, should be nice and mild, right? Holy cow this carried quite a bit of body to it. This was a completely different experience from any other Connecticut I've had (in a good way). My diet left me rather ill-prepared for the power behind this thing, and I'll be going to bed early. You all should try this thing... it is an anomaly in every respect. Very good smoke. Goodnight, everybody!
    Tonight was a personal favorite of mine, a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1. I don't think I can say enough good things about this cigar, I really really like this one....really. :)
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I'm gonna try one of the ones you sent me, Joez. Maybe tonight. If not, soon.

Glad you liked the 601, dood.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    kuzi16:
    vankleekkw:
    thats strange. I have always thought that it preformed above its price point. i just made a reccomendation to a friend for that specific cigar. hmmmm goes to show different strokes for different folks.
    Well, I haven't wrote them off yet. I think that they new ones just need a little more time. They may have been rushed to release. I really enjoy the regular La Aroma's at $3.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Tonight is a Cohiba Robusto with an espresso. Mmmm.
    I started the I-Press last night but I couldn't finish it. My throat started hurting and I had a hard time tasting it. I could taste something right when I would first take the smoke into my mouth but then I it would go away. I think my cold has something to do with it. Gonna try and finish it tonight.
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    Had a Nub Connecticut last night. Deeply enjoyable
    nothing til sat. i need to let my palate rest for a bit plus i want my smokes to get some aging time