Home Non Cigar Related

My Boat Restoration

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Hell yeah man, congrats.
  • Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463
    Hays nice boat. Great to see dreams do come true. Amazing she was let go for price of slip! You found a nice diamond in the rough! Good Luck.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    doromath:
    I can't say how nice it is to see good things happen to good people.
    +1 Hays! You can definitely see the potential YOUR boat has. How did it feel hearing that? Pretty good man? Here, lemme say it again for ya - YOUR boat! :-D

Congrats bro!!!

• Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    New PM for you Hays
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    Nice. Ive always dreamed about a south pacific tour on a sailboat......good luck on your chosen adventure whatever it may be. If you end up in the south pacific give me holla.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    From 05/12/10 - We got up at 5:30am to make it down to Berkeley by 8am, and we didn't leave till 8pm... Sure was a long day!
    Cinnabar
    Cinnabar
    Cinnabar
    Cinnabar
    Cinnabar
    Cinnabar
    Cinnabar
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
    Man! The after picks look really nice! Great job!
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    It's already night and day Hays. Hey, I'll make you a trade. How's about a wife and two kids for the boat?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I think you missed a spot... =p
    Looks much better, good luck on your restoration.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    So the first thing you do is remove/throw away the clutter and clean it I assume? Then what?

Edit: Wow - you really can see a difference in the bottom pics. It looks great.

Also: I want one. Damn.
  • Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    Lookin good so far Hays! Keep up the good work and keep sending us pictures as you go!
  • ug danug dan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    It's amazing what some cleaning will do. It looks great!!
  • minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
    Looking good bro. Huge difference already.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Very nice brother! Huge turnaround just from what you already did!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Looking good! Keep posting the restoration pics!
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Hays:
    Thanks guys for all the well-wishes...I know she isn't that purty right now, but the pictures also just don't give the best impression - she's slightly prettier in person (lol), and a good scrubdown alone will do wonders for her. Don't know if I mentioned it, but right now her name is Cinnabar...I have another name that I knew I wanted for my boat, but I haven't decided yet if I'll rename her. Even if I do, it won't be till she's fully restored. And let it be known - once she's all dolled up and ready to sail, I'd be more than happy to take any one of ya out on her. She'll sleep 4, though it'd be a bit crowded.

I personally think you should keep the name Cinnabar only because its the name of a HgS mineral that is the most common mineral mined for mercury. Its a pretty red mineral but happens to be pretty damn toxic.

I'll be talking with you soon for advice because i just bought a boat to restore as well.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Amazing what you did with the pressure washer. Man you have to name this thing with the Leaf in mind! It could be the BOTL Flagship with the right name.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    FREAKING AWESOME MAN! Cant Wait to Smoke a Good STogie on her Bro!
    Glad you guys liked the pics....not gonna trade for anything!

Russ: yeah, first is cleaning, tossing clutter, and inventorying what I have and what I need. Next will be bottom paint, because it needs it badly (bottom paint, especially on a saltwater vessel, is a major protective layer of the hull) = priority over any of the cosmetic expenses. Basically right there at the top of the priority list as well is replacing a few of the lines...most of the standing rigging is good, but the running rigging needs an overhaul. After that will be the cosmetic stuff - new floors, new cushion covers, new interior paint... Needs an electrical overhaul too. Fortunately, I have resources and/or time that will help me accomplish most of the above issues, just the finances will come slowly.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Lets hear it for elbow grease! Lookin good Hays!!!

Anyone else think we need a "Name Hays' Boat" contest here?

• zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    All in a hard days work! Great job man, boat looks great!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Sorry I'm late for the party.

Damn Hays, that is incredibly killer!! My jealousy for your opportunity is quite great, but in the best way possible. She's looking good too after just a good scrubbing. Very impressive!
  • Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463
    The diamond is beginning to shine!
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Hays:

Russ: yeah, first is cleaning, tossing clutter, and inventorying what I have and what I need. Next will be bottom paint, because it needs it badly (bottom paint, especially on a saltwater vessel, is a major protective layer of the hull) = priority over any of the cosmetic expenses. Basically right there at the top of the priority list as well is replacing a few of the lines...most of the standing rigging is good, but the running rigging needs an overhaul. After that will be the cosmetic stuff - new floors, new cushion covers, new interior paint... Needs an electrical overhaul too. Fortunately, I have resources and/or time that will help me accomplish most of the above issues, just the finances will come slowly.
    I see. How did you make sure there were no structural issues before you bought it? I'm guessing you have to actually know something about boats... I love the step by step pics. You look tired as hell in one of those pictures!
    Russ55:
    Hays:

I see. How did you make sure there were no structural issues before you bought it? I'm guessing you have to actually know something about boats... I love the step by step pics. You look tired as hell in one of those pictures!
    Well typically when you buy a boat, you have it surveyed. Costs a few hundred bucks typically (can go up dramatically as size increases), and will give you a complete rundown of the boat, including any problems as well as any good things. Considering that this was a free boat, I did not get it surveyed - I spoke with a sailing Captain I know that gave me a few things to look for, did a lot of reading about this particular boat before I went to see it, and did plenty of poking and prodding.

I figured this: it's sitting in the water, so it floats; the sails are in good-to-decent shape, so it has the potential to sail. The running rigging is visibly falling apart, so that obviously needs to be replaced. Other than that, it's pretty much cosmetic.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    undulac:
    It's already night and day Hays. Hey, I'll make you a trade. How's about a wife and two kids for the boat?

Love that Offer ! ROTFLMAO
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    ALL RIGHT HAYS!!! Great job picking up a sailboat. I love sailing, it's pretty much my favorite recreational thing to do in the whole world. It sounds like you have people in the know to bounce questions off. There are some really good forums out there as well with large depths of knowledge. Congrats and keep the pics coming.
    So, I thought I had already posted this, but it seems that I didn't. I went a week ago to survey and redo some of the electrical with a friend of mine that's owned an electrical business for like 20 years. Didn't take a lot of photos, but here's a couple that I thought were kinda funny...

I went to the bathroom, and came back without seeing him...after looking closer, I saw his elbow popping up out of my port cockpit locker....cracked me up. There is also a picture showing our freshly-cleaned mainsail cover (the blue cover) - it looks dramatically better these days. Other than being goofy, we managed to redo almost all the wiring on the boat and now pretty much everything works...need to pick up a few bulbs though.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket