Home Non Cigar Related

My Boat Restoration

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Very cool. Keep the pics coming. I love the progression you get to see.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    So yesterday (Saturday 5/29/2010) was the maiden sail of my new boat! We had to move her from Berkeley, CA to her new berth in Vallejo, CA - a distance of 22 nautical miles. It was pretty uneventful, but long and exhausting. The wind only lasted for the first 1/3 of the trip, and from then on we had to motor (which got very old, very fast). All in all, it was very educational, and very productive. For reference, I am the fellow in shorts and blue striped shirt. Red shirt and bandana/hat is my best friend that came along to crew, and white shirt is a USCG licensed boat Captain that came along to make sure we didn't die. Pictures below!

Here is also a video I took right as we were coming to the end of the first leg, and right before the wind died (we lost it as soon as got to the other side of the bridge.)

Video of First Sail

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Thats living the dream man!
    hmm...how are the pictures showing up? When I put them up last night, they were all sized right so that they could be seen, and yet now they're all blown up...
  • minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
    Good stuff Hays.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Maiden voyage is out of the way. Really enjoying the restoration pics, keep them coming
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    You don't have a celebratory cigar in any of those pics!

I earned my mate's card at the Great Lakes Naval Yacht Club in 1977 on a 36 footer. Haven't been on a sailboat since. Something tells me it's not like riding a bicycle.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Hays:
    hmm...how are the pictures showing up? When I put them up last night, they were all sized right so that they could be seen, and yet now they're all blown up...

Showed up fine when I posted. So how do you like sailing? I have an imagination of it, but want to know your perspective. Ive been out a few times, but never on my own boat. I dont have my certification yet, but hoping to get that this summer.

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Hays:
    Here is also a video I took right as we were coming to the end of the first leg, and right before the wind died (we lost it as soon as got to the other side of the bridge.)

Video of First Sail

Nice Hays But that Looks Like the Oakland Bay Bridge not the San Rafael Bridge. LOL
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Hays, You guys have some beautiful scenery on the left coast too! Great work on the boat, enjoy!
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    zoom6zoom:
    You don't have a celebratory cigar in any of those pics!

+1

Boat looks great! Wish ya lots of luck!
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hays, I am SO jealous and so happy for you! One day I'll make it out there and the smokes will be on me as long as you provide the boat!!!
    Alex, you're more than welcome - as is anyone. Y'all are right tho, didn't have a celebratory cigar on this trip. The Captain we had along wasn't a big fan, and since he was doing me a big favor by coming, I wasn't trying to offend. I will be having my cigar on my first solo sail.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.
    undulac:
    Lol....so random, but funny...
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Hays:
    undulac:
    It's a Jimmy Buffet song
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    Wicked thread! Congrats Hays!
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Hayblet:
    Hays:
    undulac:
    It's a Jimmy Buffet song
    And a very good one at that. Congrats Hays on the boat. If it were mine, I'd take it out around sunset, anchor it, and just lie down and look up at the stars while puffing away.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    You are styling Hays, congrats, gotta love the boat and the water, looks like great time, good to see dream come true! Enjoy!
    Anybody want a sailboat??? :-((((((
    Hays:
    O.o? Might thou be able to explain this Sir?
    Hayblet:
    Hays:
    My fiance lost her job, and I can't afford the store the boat... = having to sell the boat. This is a sad thing gentlemen...been kinda keeping it on the DL, but since I've had it on CL for several days I figured I'd post it up here...
    I'm guessing you can't dry dock her?
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Hays:
    Hayblet:
    Hays:
    My fiance lost her job, and I can't afford the store the boat... = having to sell the boat. This is a sad thing gentlemen...been kinda keeping it on the DL, but since I've had it on CL for several days I figured I'd post it up here...
    economy is being bad for lots of people bro, dont let that bring you down and keep your head up and do what you got to do and eventually you will get bigger and better things in life,good luck with sale and hope everything works out for you!
  • Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    Sucks! Sorry to hear that Hays
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I'm really sorry to hear you're having to sell the boat Hays! I hope things get better and you can save it. I am not in the market to buy a boat or anywhere near your for that matter, or I'd be damn tempted. I was looking at a 1968 Bristol 28' for sale up here near Dallas that was a beauty! Keep us posted on how things go.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Not what we wanted to hear bro! I was hoping for a naming ceremony with your grinning face and a fat stick.