Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Movie Trivia Pass

Comments

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Martel:
    Martel:
    In 2000, the movie High Fidelity was released. In that movie, Rob (John Cusack) makes "Top 5" lists for everything. A theater trade magazine called NATO News (National Association of Theater Owners-magazine later changed its title to In Focus) requested members and theater managers to send in their top five favorite movies. They published the first two lists to arrive, including mine. Name three of the five movies on that list (just one or two would be too easy).

Pick five; must get three out of five right. They don't need to be in the right order.

One of the movies comes from a series that's a no-brainer for someone born in '77. Which one, I'm not saying.

The first movie on the list references the third movie on the list which has the same star as the second movie on the list. None of those movies have to do with the year I was born. That's the fourth movie on the list. The cult film is the last on the list, and it has a game based on it that is the only app still working on the outdated iOS on my iPhone 3. (I'm an android guy, but I fell in a lake with my phone in my pocket and a friend had an old iPhone I'm using for a while).
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    In 2000, the movie High Fidelity was released. In that movie, Rob (John Cusack) makes "Top 5" lists for everything. A theater trade magazine called NATO News (National Association of Theater Owners-magazine later changed its title to In Focus) requested members and theater managers to send in their top five favorite movies. They published the first two lists to arrive, including mine. Name three of the five movies on that list (just one or two would be too easy).

Pick five; must get three out of five right. They don't need to be in the right order.

One of the movies comes from a series that's a no-brainer for someone born in '77. Which one, I'm not saying.

The first movie on the list references the third movie on the list which has the same star as the second movie on the list. None of those movies have to do with the year I was born. That's the fourth movie on the list. The cult film is the last on the list, and it has a game based on it that is the only app still working on the outdated iOS on my iPhone 3. (I'm an android guy, but I fell in a lake with my phone in my pocket and a friend had an old iPhone I'm using for a while).
    Is it devil in a blue dress....?????
    twisted, you're a question behind! No that's not on the list.
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:

Bogart is in the list.
  • JMartinez10JMartinez10 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 296
    1. Bogart 2. Godfather II 3. Gladiator 4. It's a Wonderful Life 5. To Kill a Mockingbird
    JMartinez10:
    1. Bogart 2. Godfather II 3. Gladiator 4. It's a Wonderful Life 5. To Kill a Mockingbird
    Bogart the actor, not the movie. None of the rest make my list in any way. In fact, if I had a top (bottom?) five list of overrated movies, at least one, if not two or three, of these would be on there. Wonderful Life, for sure. Gladiator wouldn't be that low because it's somewhat enjoyable, and my list was kind of a combination of fun and influential.
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:

Bogart is in the list.

Since the list is full of movies I enjoyed and found to have some artistic merit, it's kind of a mixed bag. I was a year past college, basically, when this came out, too. Keep that in mind.

Shop smart!
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:

Bogart is in the list.

Since the list is full of movies I enjoyed and found to have some artistic merit, it's kind of a mixed bag. I was a year past college, basically, when this came out, too. Keep that in mind.

Shop smart!

Okay, so. I make these too challenging I guess.

The title of the first movie references a line in the third movie. The second and third movies both star the same actor. The fourth movie is the no-brainer for my birthday. The fifth, well, I've given a hint somewhere. It's not Hudson Hawk.
  • JiagmbahJiagmbah Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    1. Gladiator 2. The Dark knight rises 3. Heroes 4. Iron Man 3
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Jiagmbah:
    1. Gladiator 2. The Dark knight rises 3. Heroes 4. Iron Man 3

I appreciate the enthusiasm, Jiagmbah --- but check out the first post for more info about the game.
    Thanks!

phobicsquirrel:
    Okay so I'm hoping some of you like movies.. So this works like the fun and games pass so same rules apply. 1 answer per 24 hours, must be on the good trader list and the winner is to be sent at least 4 cigars. More if the sender would like too. Nothing has to be super premium but it's always a pleasant surprise.
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:

Bogart is in the list.

Shop smart!

The title of the first movie references a line in the third movie. The second and third movies both star the same actor. The fourth movie is the no-brainer for my birthday. The fifth, well, I've given a hint somewhere. It's not Hudson Hawk.

You don't have to get these in order, folks. Just 3/5. It's like when I was in a barbershop quartet, back in Skokie, Illinois...anyway it should be getting easier.
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:
    Martel:

Bogart (the actor) is in the list.

Shop smart!

You don't have to get these in order, folks. Just 3/5. It's like when I was in a barbershop quartet, back in Skokie, Illinois...anyway it should be getting easier.
    C'mon, I'm layin' it out there fat, I mean like orca fat for you guys! Maybe I'm so bad at this, I should go back to my old job of picking coffee beans in Guatemala. Someone please give me some new hope and answer this thing. It might be the start of a beautiful friendship! Even the stuff that dreams are made of. Who knows? I promise none of the sticks I send will go boom!
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Okay, got to dive in, I know a couple for sure:
    5. Army of Darkness 4. Star Wars 3. Casablanca 2. African Queen 1.Free Willy
  • JMartinez10JMartinez10 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 296
    Let's try this one more time:
    1. They Drive by Night
    2. Casablanca
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    5. Star Wars
    perkinke:
    Okay, got to dive in, I know a couple for sure:
    5. Army of Darkness 4. Star Wars 3. Casablanca 2. African Queen 1.Free Willy
    I'll give it to you. Army of Darkness was five, indeed. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was four (I'll credit you for Star Wars-and lots of people called me out saying Empire is a better movie, but I've got to go with the first one you watch. Empire just isn't as powerful on its own.) And Casablanca was three. Good guess with African Queen, but it was the Maltese Falcon (the stuff that dreams are made of). And in my number one spot was The Usual Suspects, referencing the line in Casablanca to "round up the usual suspects". Most of the clues were geared toward this film, paraphrasing quotes from Verbal Kint's deceptive speech with the police. I loved that movie back then, and still like it now. I knew Bruce Willis was dead after about 10 minutes of The Sixth Sense. In fact, I've called the ending of every M. Night movie that I've watched. I did not see the reveal of Who is Keyser Soze at all, so the film still gets major props from me. Don't think I have your addy, so send it via PM, perkinke.

Thanks to all who tried. I was stretching myself with clues...trying to make it reasonable but not just give it away.
    Very cool set of clues, I thought I had Army of Darkness and Star Wars early on (I'm a Return of the Jedi man myself) but the rest took a long time.

Okay, first clue, this movie is a work of historical fiction.
    I like Jedi a lot. Best lightsaber work.
    perkinke:
    Very cool set of clues, I thought I had Army of Darkness and Star Wars early on (I'm a Return of the Jedi man myself) but the rest took a long time.

Okay, first clue, this movie is a work of historical fiction.
    I don't just want to trade cigars...but I don't want to get a superfluous post count for a bump, either, so I'll throw out a guess...
    Kingdom of Heaven
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Inglourious Basterds?
    Good guesses, but nope.

Clue 2: The movie spans several distinct historical periods.
    perkinke:
    Good guesses, but nope.

History of the World Part I
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Martel:
    perkinke:
    Good guesses, but nope.

Bwah ha! You got it! I'll get something out to ya by Saturday.
    perkinke:
    Martel:
    perkinke:
    Good guesses, but nope.

Bwah ha! You got it! I'll get something out to ya by Saturday.
    No, no effin' way! PM to you.
    Perkinke and I are working on something special for you guys. I want to liven up this movie trivia pass since I haven't seen a whole lot of participation on my trivia. So, to sweeten the deal, instead of taking cigars from some guy in the hometown of an ex-girlfriend (might raise my wife's eyebrows if she saw that package), we will combine forces and both send cigars to the brother who answers a trivia question we come up with together.

Coming soon to a movie trivia thread near you...
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Martel:
    Perkinke and I are working on something special for you guys. I want to liven up this movie trivia pass since I haven't seen a whole lot of participation on my trivia. So, to sweeten the deal, instead of taking cigars from some guy in the hometown of an ex-girlfriend (might raise my wife's eyebrows if she saw that package), we will combine forces and both send cigars to the brother who answers a trivia question we come up with together.

Coming soon to a movie trivia thread near you...
    I'm going to take a preemptive guess: Dr Strangelove Am I right???? :-)
    Okay, first clue to the new one:

This movie was based on a movie that was heavily influenced by operatic themes
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    perkinke:
    Okay, first clue to the new one:

This movie was based on a movie that was heavily influenced by operatic themes
    Little Shop of Horrors.