Home General Discussion

Are Cigars Sometimes Dyed – Or Not?

kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
image I have read many stories reports and reviews over the years of very dark maduro wrapped cigars being suspect for using dyes for coloring. This is presumably for marketing appeal, the even out the color of a wrapper, to make it more appealing to a consumer. Maybe to play on the myth of the darker cigars being stronger/richer/more expensive that many new smokers believe. In any case, I have not seen any official statement from any manufacturer that they do or do not dye or in some other way artificially color any of their wrappers so everything to this point seems to be people’s opinions. I have done a couple reviews lately that I stated were dyed wrappers. One in particular was a Habano wrapper, not a maduro, not even a very dark brown color. During the review, very clearly on camera you can see a thick dark build up of a substance on my lips, fingers and all over my shirt. I stated it was dye but now I don’t think it may have been. I wanted to test a few different shades of wrappers and see what happens when a good amount of moisture is applied, as was during the review conditions of the past few reviews. It has been unusually humid here lately and conditions have been neat or at 100% humidity, certainly unusual conditions for most smokers to be enjoying a cigar in including me. Nevertheless cigars should and mostly do perform fine under these conditions except I seem to find them giving off this color mess. In this short video I wipe a wet paper towel gently over some different cigars to see what happens. http://cigarobsession.com/2011/08/10/are-cigars-sometimes-dyed-or-not/

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I watched a RP DVD about the making of his cigars and if you look closely, u can catch a quick passing glimpse of someone dying some cigars. Really wonder how many cigars out there are dyed...interesting video though...my guess would be that for the connies, it is the natural oils in the cigar coming off.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Ok, just watched the video. all in all it shows that cigars when very moist will give off some color. Actually im glad this subject came up and im glad you did a little more objective experimenting. I can only conclude that these are natural oils and that are inherent with the type of leaf as well as whatever fermentation curing process the leaf is subjected to . Thanks..
    Krieg:
    I watched a RP DVD about the making of his cigars and if you look closely, u can catch a quick passing glimpse of someone dying some cigars. Really wonder how many cigars out there are dyed...
    I do not doubt that some cigars are dyed or subjected to natural oils.
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    I'm all for experimentation to find the truth!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I can't remember where but I remember Steve Saka was saying the "dye" used was just the natural tobacco juices.
    Of course that is not a direct quote.

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Sidenote: thank you Bryan. I hope this ends some of the speculation.

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    If you think about when you chew tobacco and spit, what color is it?
    stephen_hannibal:
    I can't remember where but I remember Steve Saka was saying the "dye" used was just the natural tobacco juices.

Sure why not, add a dose of Franks Red Hot wing sauce and voila,
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    cabinetmaker:
    If you think about when you chew tobacco and spit, what color is it?

Bingo we have a winner!
    I have to admit that I wonder sometimes about the cigars in the magazines. They look juicier and much more inviting than in person. I often wondered if it was some vegetable oil spray on the cigars before they are photographed? Doesn't solve the dye issue but I can see how we are influenced into buying darker shiner cigars and somehow we are left with the impression that they are better so it would stand to reason that a sprayed cigar is more of a marketing ploy than beneficial. Sorry to be off topic a bit.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I saw a video of an RP Rep, when asked about dyes on cigars he mentioned that "maduro" is seen as a color in the market, not a flavor. Also, to get the super dark colors of many wrappers and consistency of color a type of "artificial" sped up fermentation process is used with higher temps and steaming I think. He said according to a purist it might be cutting corners, but still yields a great wrapper and is industry standard now. So it is technically an artificial color... but not dumping a veggie dye or carmel color on or anything. I have personally never had a cigar bleed that much color out.
    I'm not sure if chew and a cigar can be evenly compared. The only thing they have in common is the plant they start as - everything from the pick point on is vastly different.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Nicely done, I've often wondered to. I would hope if the did use dyes are doing it forappearance and wouldn't be trying to trick us. I've often read about wrappers dripping with oil but I've never seen one.
    kaelaria:
    I'm not sure if chew and a cigar can be evenly compared. The only thing they have in common is the plant they start as - everything from the pick point on is vastly different.

Agree, even chew tobacco is treated with flavor agents, some not all. It would stand to reason though that it maybe beneficial for marketing reason to treat the tobacco with flavor agents or color in order to enhance the appeal of the product. All one has to look at is Drew estate cigars like ACID or Java which are flavored not dyed. All in all dyed or flavored it is the acceptability of the user that influances the use there of.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    kaelaria:
    The truth is out there! Sorry, been watching x files on Netflix. Lol
    Krieg:
    kaelaria:
    The truth is out there! Sorry, been watching x files on Netflix. Lol
    I thought the same thing,,Hey Krieg pm incoming
    stephen_hannibal:

here is the article: http://www.socialcigar.com/forum/topics/creating-maduro-leaf-from
    I just updated the post on the site with a new pic showing results of a test from info in that article.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I just watched your videos. Very strange indeed. I've smoked in very moist, humid weather and never had anything like this happen. The only tar I've ever experienced is thick ooze which builds up at the head. I can only hope this is some kind of naturally occuring substance on the wrapper leaf and nothing artificial, that would just be disgusting.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    If I'm not mistaken.Plug chewing tobacco and loose leaf tobacco's like Red Man and Levi Garrett are made with molasses.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Open one up, take out some filler and test it. That should tell you what you need to know. You'll get color.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    It all varies from manufacturer to manufacturer what method is used to alter color of cigars. Bryan, from watching your review of the MOW Puro, I think you had a tar problem, not dye.
    I agree, that's why I did this test!
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Bryan, I'm glad you read Steve Saka's article. One of the most informative pieces I've ever read on the subject. I'm going to give an OPINION here: I think that due to the weather (namely the humidity) and the small size of the MOW PA you were smoking, it is MY OPINION that it was more than likely the mixture of oils from the tobacco and tar buildup from the small (or concentrated, if you will) opening that the small 5"x42 cigar requires, along with the natural humidity, that lead to the "dripping substance" you experienced. Having read as much as I have about how AJ Fernandez treats his tobacco in every step of the process (like it's made out of velvet diamonds... lol), and smoked as many of the MOW PAs as I have, I am all but certain that there is no chance that the wrapper is dyed on those cigars. It is, however a very oily cigar even in regular humidity situations. I am glad, above all else, to see that you are willing to research the topic and learn about it, rather than simply chalk it up to dye. Good form.
    oh... and another small tidbit, take it for what it's worth... AJ blended these, in this size, for his own personal use. Seems kinda crazy that he would carry dyed cigars around in his front pocket all day... I'm just sayin. LOL!
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    I would have to agree that I don't think the PA is dyed. I thought I read on the forum somewhere that the Punisher is treated with something in the curing process? Dunno just thought I would throw it out there for affirmation or denial. Alex, Kuzi you all want to weigh in?
    I agree regarding the MOP, which is why I had previously edited my review and changed my opinion on the dye, and did this test.
    kaelaria:
    I agree regarding the MOP, which is why I had previously edited my review and changed my opinion on the dye, and did this test.
    And it was a cool test, indeed. I am a subscriber to your yt video channel, and must say, for the record, that I enjoy your reviews more than probably any other reviewer I've seen so far. Always to the point and never off topic. Very solid. Matter of fact, I owe you a thank you for introducing me to San Cristobal, my favorite cigar on the planet... your review talked me into trying one. I'm glad I did!
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    kaelaria:
    Keep posting those reviews, I really enjoy reading them!
    mmmm...San Cristobal.... Thanks guys ;)