Home Cigar 101

Maduro sampler

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    alienmisprint:
    madurofan:
    The CAO MX2 is my favorite maduro PERIOD and come on you have to take the advice of a guy with the screen name madurofan.
    I was waiting for you to chime in, lol, with your screen name I figured you would've been one of the first. I was going to add it, but then someone else mentioned the CAO's I had in my previous list weren't beginner smokes, so I figured the MX2 might fall into that category as well. Oh well, I'm putting one in the basket, I'll just smoke it last out of all the rest of them. After I get through this sampler, I don't think I'll be a "newbie" anymore, lol.
    Funny as it is with my screen name but I've really shied away from maduros in the past 6 months or so. The MX-2 is still a fave tho. IMO it goes well with a spicier bourbon like Evan Williams Single barrel. However, through recent discoveries it goes well with American Ale and Sam Adams too.

While correct that it is not a beginners cigar its not a full bodied cigar either and its not an expensive cigar, so there is no harm in giving it a try.

I'm a bit of a CAO whore, I just like their products they aren't inherently complex but they are consistent and have a flavor profile that I like. I will advise you that the Sopranos is not worth it IMHO the MX2 is just as good if not better for half the price. Also the Brazilia was a big dissappointment to me.
    alienmisprint:
    I also have had a pack and a half a day habit for about 15 years, so nicotine is nothing new. I am in the process of quitting, and probably already would have if I had cigars more readily available. Smoking cigars is a whole different animal, and I find it much more pleasureable than cigarettes. Cigarettes are really more of a habit, whereas each cigar you smoke can be a whole new experience. I am loving it so far, lol.

I get what you are saying Jet, if someone who wasn't used to nicotine at all picked up a heavy duty cigar, it would probably end poorly, lol. Like I said, I have smoked a pack and a half a day for about 15 years and a couple of cigars I have smoked still gave me a little head rush, and I know there are more powerful ones out there.
    Kuzi and I, as well as a few others I believe, are ex-cigarette smokers. I know kuzi and I agree on the following statement. If you want to be successful quiting cigarettes I'd give yourself a few weeks or maybe months to let the nicotine get completely out of your system before you pick cigars back up. I know when I first quit cigarettes all a cigar did was make me want a cigarette.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:
    I also have had a pack and a half a day habit for about 15 years, so nicotine is nothing new. I am in the process of quitting, and probably already would have if I had cigars more readily available. Smoking cigars is a whole different animal, and I find it much more pleasureable than cigarettes. Cigarettes are really more of a habit, whereas each cigar you smoke can be a whole new experience. I am loving it so far, lol.

I get what you are saying Jet, if someone who wasn't used to nicotine at all picked up a heavy duty cigar, it would probably end poorly, lol. Like I said, I have smoked a pack and a half a day for about 15 years and a couple of cigars I have smoked still gave me a little head rush, and I know there are more powerful ones out there.
    Kuzi and I, as well as a few others I believe, are ex-cigarette smokers. I know kuzi and I agree on the following statement. If you want to be successful quiting cigarettes I'd give yourself a few weeks or maybe months to let the nicotine get completely out of your system before you pick cigars back up. I know when I first quit cigarettes all a cigar did was make me want a cigarette.
    not just the nicotine out of your system but the learned habits of smoking cigarettes.
    It IS a poor idea to "replace" cigarettes with cigars. Many cigarette smokers will want to inhale cigars. this is many times worse than cigarettes.

even if you dont have that habit, cigars cannot replace a cigarette because of how they deliver nicotine. you will never be "satisfied" by a cigar the way you were with a cigarette. this may lead to smoking way more.

and one more thing:
    Cigars are a hobby
    cigarettes are a habit.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:

not just the nicotine out of your system but the learned habits of smoking cigarettes.
    It IS a poor idea to "replace" cigarettes with cigars. Many cigarette smokers will want to inhale cigars. this is many times worse than cigarettes.

even if you dont have that habit, cigars cannot replace a cigarette because of how they deliver nicotine. you will never be "satisfied" by a cigar the way you were with a cigarette. this may lead to smoking way more.

and one more thing:
    Cigars are a hobby
    cigarettes are a habit.
    I understand what you're saying. But, just from smoking about one cigar a day, I am already down to a half a pack of cigarettes. I have gotten to where I don't even really want to smoke the cigarettes, so what I am doing is ordering a few tins of small cigars and am going to smoke one or two of those throughout the day and then have a good cigar in the evening.

I am also aware of the bad habits to transfer over to cigar smoking. In the past, I was one of those guys who inhaled a cigar when I did smoke it, but since I have decided to get serious about cigars, I have stopped doing that. I am also very conscious of taking my time while smoking the cigars, I know it is common for cigarette smokers to rush through one which in turn can ruin the whole experience.
    Well Alien it sounds like you are on the right track. Everyone has their own way of quiting if this works for you, then more power to ya!
    Okay, had to make some cuts due to budget, but here is my finalized list:

5 Vegas Series 'A', Alpha (Torpedo), Maduro
    Cusano 18 Paired Maduro, Robusto, Double Maduro
    Gurkha Legend, Perfecto, Maduro
    Gurkha Regent, Toro, Habano
    Gurkha Fuerte, Toro, Habano
    Montecristo Media Noche, No. 2, Maduro
    Natural by Drew Estate, Ltd. Ed. Irish Hops, Habano
    Natural by Drew Estate, Pimp Stick (Ltd. Ed.), Habano
    Rocky Patel Olde World, Toro, Maduro
    Perdomo Lot 23, Toro, Maduro
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Mini Belicoso (Cigar.com Exclusive), Maduro
    Sol Cubano Maduro, Robusto, Maduro

and in the basket:

La Vieja Habana - The Early Years, Wavelle Deluxe, Maduro
    CAO MX2, Robusto, Double Maduro, 5 X 52
    Sancho Panza Double Maduro, Quixote, Double Maduro, 4.5 X 50
    Onyx Reserve, Robusto, Maduro, 5 X 50

I am ordering these tonight, so by the time I get home they will have been in the humi for about two weeks. Thanks again everyone for the advice, I can't wait to have a few.
    You threw the best stick in the basket ;). I'd have dropped te Naturals for the MX2 and the Sancho Panza. THe Naturals aren't all that great IMHO.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    I seem to be going the same route as Alien, Discovered cigars at the end of December, I too am trying to quit the cigarettes, but it is the cigars that make me want to quit....carton a week =$120 a month,, another $120 for cigars:) I know im missing the full complexity of these fine stogies by having no taste buds... reason #2,, I find the cigars much more relaxing smoking them for pleasure and enjoyment, cant say I enjoy the cancersticks just a need( that is dwindling) get stressed want the nicotine and the habit of sucking down as fast as I can, just make you more stressed ant want more... but i am looking at it not as replacing vices or nicotine ingestiions, found something I really like and gettin more passionate about everyday,, which is giving me more more reasons, will power, and ability to do something Ive been trying(spending$$) to do for years.. but even if I do not fully kick the habit...but keep the hobby,, I am still benefiting form the Hobby.. cant smoke em both at the same time.. and for a highstrung chain smoker to be able to relax.....and actualll not want a cigarette...even if just for an hour or two.. that seems to be a good thng
    I am with you 100% Must.
    madurofan:
    You threw the best stick in the basket ;). I'd have dropped te Naturals for the MX2 and the Sancho Panza. THe Naturals aren't all that great IMHO.
    MX2 and the Sancho aren't options for the sampler. I actually was going to drop the naturals for them, but there wasn't anything else in the sampler options that really caught my eye.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    For all who may be unfamiliar, the "Custom Sampler" is something offered by ccom. Their entire inventory is not in the custom sampler, but the variety of offered sticks is changed regularly. I believe Alien was assembling a Custom Sampler, and then throwing additional sticks in the basket. His original question was with respect to the Custom Sampler, but people kept throwing out cigars that weren't offered that way.

Maddy - :P
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    For all who may be unfamiliar, the "Custom Sampler" is something offered by ccom. Their entire inventory is not in the custom sampler, but the variety of offered sticks is changed regularly. I believe Alien was assembling a Custom Sampler, and then throwing additional sticks in the basket. His original question was with respect to the Custom Sampler, but people kept throwing out cigars that weren't offered that way.

Maddy - :P
    oh.
    Pretty much how it went down, I'm sorry, I should've explained it better. You guys blew my budget by the way, lol.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    alienmisprint:
    You guys blew my budget by the way, lol.
    Welcome to the ccom user forum
    alienmisprint:
    Pretty much how it went down, I'm sorry, I should've explained it better. You guys blew my budget by the way, lol.
    Are you married Alien?
    I am, the wifey is great.
    alienmisprint:
    Good for you, so am I. Start practicing the "but it was such a good deal" speach. If that doesn't work, buy a new couch. If you're going to be sleeping on it you want it to be comfortable.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:
    Good for you, so am I. Start practicing the "but it was such a good deal" speach. If that doesn't work, buy a new couch. If you're going to be sleeping on it you want it to be comfortable.
    And whatever you do, DON'T go to cigarbid.com.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    May your humi be full, your couch be comfy and your credit card low interest....Cheers!!!
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Jetmech_63:
    May your humi be HUGE, your couch be comfy and your credit cardS low interest and high limit....Cheers!!!
    Let's be honest here...
    Dude Love:
    Jetmech_63:
    May your humi be HUGE, your couch be comfy and your credit cardS low interest and high limit....Cheers!!!
    Let's be honest here...

Hahaha i like yours better
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Dude Love:
    Jetmech_63:
    Let's be honest here...
    Jet / Dude words I have learned to live by... Did I tell you guys about my new box of Nordings ? ( my wife just asked what was delivered by UPS today) I told her it was her birthday present.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    kaspera79:
    Dude Love:
    Jetmech_63:
    Let's be honest here...
    Jet?Dude words I have learned to live by... Did I tell you guys about my new box of Nordings ? ( my wife just asked what was delivered by UPS today) I told her it was her birthday present.
    HAHA. I suppose something that makes you happy should make her happy. Good thinking for the B-day present Kas. :D
    MMmmmm Nnnnnnordiiiiing(drools like homer). Great cigar, i have my last one sleeping until june-ish. I wish i could hide this from my wife but the trasactions keep showing up as CIGAR big as day on the statements. Shes......acceptant lol
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    Dude Love:
    Jetmech_63:
    Let's be honest here...
    Jet / Dude words I have learned to live by... Did I tell you guys about my new box of Nordings ? ( my wife just asked what was delivered by UPS today) I told her it was her birthday present.
    It must be nice, having a wife who smokes cigars, too.
    Funny you guys bring this up, because just last night I had my first "But baby, look at this deal!" Of course, what I saw as an amazing deal was in her eyes an $80 expense, but what are you going to do?

Really though, she is great, very supportive of whatever I want to do. We actually talked about it and all and decided on a $200 a month cigar budget. I kinda went over that this month, but I had to explain to her how humidors don't count against the budget, and start up costs for any hobby are always more than maintenance costs, hehehehe.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Yes, you really can't count start-up costs as if they were recurring monthly liabilities. Also, major expansions.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    Dude Love:
    And whatever you do, DON'T go to cigarbid.com.
    what he said, listen to him... and i hope my landlord is as understanding as your wifey..
    alienmisprint:
    We actually talked about it and all and decided on a $200 a month cigar budget.
    Holy crap with that budget I'd need a walk-in in no time. I have absolutely no idea how much a month on average I spend on cigars. I don't wanna know. I have a play money budget. I try to stay within that.
    mustluvcigars:
    Dude Love:
    And whatever you do, DON'T go to ...
    what he said, listen to him... and i hope my landlord is as understanding as your wifey..
    Just a friendly reminder not to discuss specifics of competing sites on here. We typically don't mind generics like "auction sites" but please don't give specifics.