Home Ratings & Reviews

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    There has been a lot of hype on the forum about this particular cigar, especially in this vitola. I was hoping to wait a bit longer to to review it but I feel the need to.

Cain F Lancero 7 x 38
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan

The cigar looks dark brown. It isnt the darkest habano I have seen but it clearly isnt the lightest. The band is only on the foot. Out of the cellophane, the cigar has an oily feel to it. Not to many cigars have that feel to the hand. Ive felt it often on the lips but not on the fingers. The smell unlit is lighter than I expected it to be. There is a barnyard smell and a slight leather smell to it. The lick on the cap has a bit of a sour spice to it but is generally mild. It is cut with a double guillotine. The draw is on the firm side. This does not surprise me due to the difficulty of this vitola to roll.

The light is quick because of the small ring gauge. The first few puffs bring out a sweet leather flavor with a bit of spice to it. There is a slight musk through the nose and a hint of wood late on the finish. As the cigar settles in the flavors are the same just more defined and the spice lingers into the finish.

The first ash fell at about three quarters of an inch. This is pretty good considering the ring gauge. The flavor has not changed much at this point.

Entering the second third the wood flavors seem to come out a bit and the cigar becomes a bit sweeter. About half way through the cigar becomes hard to stay lit. most of it is stemming from the difficult draw issues. It is difficult to get a good puff on it. It still tastes good.

Entering the final third the flavors and experience are much of the same with maybe a touch of citrus on the initial flavor. I am looking for all the complexity that I keep hearing about with this cigar but it is not as complex as it is made out to be. With that said I would like to say that I am enjoying this cigar quite a bit. It does not live up to the expectations that have been set by others but it exceeds the expectations that I had going into it.

The last little bit brings on a bit more prominent spice and a bit of the sweeter side. It also is more and more difficult to draw on and thus, keep lit.

burn time is just under 2 hours

Burn: 9
    Draw: 7
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 7
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 8.5

I need to try this cigar in a different vitola now. Maybe a toro would solve the issues it had. Maybe that will change the flavor for the worse. Iduno. I have to try it now.

• BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Sad to read. Better luck next time
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I'm surprised that you gave it a 9 for flavor and a 9 for aftertaste while your review made it sound a bit drab, wood with a little spice and not really dynamic. It must have tasted better than your review reads.
    bigharpoon:
    I'm surprised that you gave it a 9 for flavor and a 9 for aftertaste while your review made it sound a bit drab, wood with a little spice and not really dynamic. It must have tasted better than your review reads.
    it has good flavors but the complexity isnt what i was expecting. i mean, i did say:
    kuzi16:
    I would like to say that I am enjoying this cigar quite a bit.
    i did enjoy it quite a bit. the flavors were very good, but as in all other cains that i have had, there is no complexity through the length of the stick.
    BlueRings:
    Sad to read. Better luck next time
    really? it was good. if the draw and construction had been what oliva USUALLY puts out it would have been a 9.2 overall. i hardly think this is a bad score. i just had a difficult draw and construction in an otherwise great and highly rated cigar. i know construction issues and draw issues arent the norm in Oliva.
    3-29-11 been in humidor since 3-14-08

Gurkha Crest Churchill
    (7 x 52)
    Wrapper: Connecticut Maduro
    Filler: Nicaraguan

this is one of the largest cigars in my humidor. Asi take it out of the cellophane I see that the wrapper is not that smooth. There are a few dominant veins running down the sides. The smell is light and on the earthy side. The lick on the cap has a barnyard taste to it and a hint of spice.

the cut is done with my double guillotine. There is a bit of shredding. None of it is on the wrapper. The filler does a bit. The draw is very loose. Almost no resistance at all.

The first few puffs bring on a sweetness and a bit of a musk. It is very mild and smooth.this is the point I decide to take off the band. They used too much glue. There is some on the wrapper and the band does not want to come apart. There is a struggle. At the end of the battle, there is a crack in the wrapper. Nothing peeves me more than a band with too much glue. The flavors remind me a bit of the centurion. There is a woody taste, a subtle sweetness, and a slight musk. The musk is nothing like the kelner musk. The pulpy texture I associate with Nicaraguan cigars is there but only slightly. The crack where the band was is causing the loose draw to be even worse. If I cover the crack with my finger then the draw improves slightly.
    The flavor is full at an inch in. the body is light and the strength is medium. The toasty wood notes come out at this point. This cigar is very smooth even through the nose.

At the half way point, the flavors are the same. It has yeat to impress me but I am still happy to be smoking it. The best part of this cigar is the toasty woods that come through in all parts of the taste and through the nose. The lack of spice brings them out and makes it interesting.

There are a few minor burn issues at this point too.

Entering the last third there is a bit of a power increase and some spice develops. It works better than I thought it would considering the other flavors. There is also a sweeter note in there as well. Its hard to pinpoint the type of sweet. Maybe it will develop.
    The crack in the wrapper is getting worse and it is hurting the performance of the cigar.
    The sweet has developed into a nutty sweet. It is subtle. Im not mad at this cigar in terms of taste but the draw and the crack are making it difficult.
    The spice is turning up some. This last thirs has a bunch of burn issues.

This cigar is long. Its taking too long in my opinion. The transitions are to slow to happen and it isnt amazing in flavor to make me want it for 3 hours. Its good but I feel would be great in a toro or torpedo or robusto.

As I get to the where the band is it begins to die on me. The time factor and the cracking wrapper issues lead me to putting this down at this point
    all in all this cigar is pretty average.

burn time: 2 hours 10 minutes.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 7
    Construction: 7
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 8.5

• ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    sounds like my experience with most gurkha's. Some kind of construction or burn issue standing in the way of me enjoying the cigar.
  • MarmicoMarmico Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 93
    Hey Kuzi, I'm curious to get your take on a Padron '64. I feel like a broken record because I keep going on about them all the time, but they're by far my favorite cigar. I'd be curious to hear what you think, as I'm not so great at deciphering flavors, and I can easily pick out no less than 6 different tastes throughout the cigar. I'll be waiting to read it!
    Marmico:
    Hey Kuzi, I'm curious to get your take on a Padron '64. I feel like a broken record because I keep going on about them all the time, but they're by far my favorite cigar. I'd be curious to hear what you think, as I'm not so great at deciphering flavors, and I can easily pick out no less than 6 different tastes throughout the cigar. I'll be waiting to read it!
    strangely enough i have never smoked one. I own a few of them including one that i got off of the rolling table before it was pressed when i visited the padron factory a few months ago. il see what i can do about getting a review on them. I have never been a huge fan of Padron but i hear the Anaversario series is nothing at all like the regular line.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    It is the opinion of many that the 26 is different (defined by some as slightly better) than the 64. Your thoughts on the Padron 26 would be very interesting.
    I've heard that as well, and I'm curious to have one. I have a '26 in my humidor that I might smoke tonight after my birthday dinner. I do love the '64 though.

And Kuzi, you got an unpressed one off the line? That sounds interesting. I'd like to tour the factory sometime, that would be awesome, only problem being that I'm on the opposite side of the country. :P

A review on each would be really cool, but I understand that a cigar is a large chunk of time out of the day. It would be cool to read though!
    Marmico:

And Kuzi, you got an unpressed one off the line? That sounds interesting. I'd like to tour the factory sometime, that would be awesome, only problem being that I'm on the opposite side of the country.
    it shoudnt effect the flavor. i was told it wont effect anything at all about how the cigar performs. i asked Jose Padron why its pressed if id does not effect it at all. he said "because that is the shape"
    as far as going to the factory, i think you my actually be closer than i am to it. the factory is in Estali Nicaragua. they are very strange about who they let into the factory. not many people get in.
    kuzi16:
    Marmico:

And Kuzi, you got an unpressed one off the line? That sounds interesting. I'd like to tour the factory sometime, that would be awesome, only problem being that I'm on the opposite side of the country.
    it shoudnt effect the flavor. i was told it wont effect anything at all about how the cigar performs. i asked Jose Padron why its pressed if id does not effect it at all. he said "because that is the shape"
    as far as going to the factory, i think you my actually be closer than i am to it. the factory is in Estali Nicaragua. they are very strange about who they let into the factory. not many people get in.
    Ah, for some reason, I was thinking the headquarters in florida. Maybe I'll call up some of my relatives in Nicaragua and head down for a visit. :) I don't know what it is about the Padron anny line, but I just can't get enough of them!
    4-6-11 been in humi since 12-17-10

5 Vegas AAA
    Robusto (5 x 56 )
    Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf
    Filler: Nicaraguan ligero leaves from Condega, Jalapa and Esteli.
    Blender: AJ Fernandez

I got this cigar in this past year's secret Santa pass. Even now (four months on) I have no idea who my secret Santa is. Whoever it is, thank you. This will actually the first “AAA” I have had. I'm surprised as well, considering how much I enjoyed the Series A, AJ blends, and 5 Vegas as a bargain brand (relative bang for your buck).

This cigar, at first glance, looks almost identical its cousin, the 5 Vegas Series A. A few noticeable differences present themselves upon further inspection. First, and most notable, there is a second band around the foot of the cigar with the name of the blend that does not appear on the Series A. Second, the wrapper is significantly lighter than the Series A. Finally, the size of this cigar is not even offered in the Series A. Besides those clear differences, the presentation is the same and has the same feel to it. The high contrast black and gold band has always been one of my favorites as far as looks go. However, I'm not here for the looks. Lets get down to business.

Out of the cellophane the cigar has two things that I did not expect: Less sheen, and more tooth. The best way to describe the look and tactile feel of this cigar is “rugged” with a few dominant veins on it. The other thing I notice is how heavy this cigar seems for its size. I hope that means that it burns slow. The cigar smells great. It has the barnyard smell that may cigars have with the earthy undertone that most maduros have as well.

After moistening the cap before the cut, a slightly sour taste is left on my lips. It is very earthy. And the oils can now be felt on the lips and tongue. Cut with my Xi2. The draw is a bit firm but I would not go so far as to say “plugged” or “difficult.” With moist lips, I gripped the cigar in my mouth to type that last sentence. By the time I finished, a warmth that reminds me of cinnamon develops. I am glad I ate. The draw has a rich earth flavor to it. There is some other warm note in there as well. After half a page of typing, it is time to light the cigar. 1:45pm

The initial flavors are rich leathery-sweet warmth. There is a mild sweet to it. Through the nose there is a Nicaraguan woodiness and a bit more leather. A small crack develops just past the burn line. I think it is due in part to my over zealous puffing and a higher humidity (its raining). I need to let it settle.

After about 20 minutes, I burn past the crack with no major issue. The ash is a bit on the flaky side but still seems to hold it together. Now that the cigar has settled in, a spice has developed. It is light and sweet and for the second time in this review I feel the need to reference cinnamon. It is a bit more pepper through the nose. This is about half an inch in (yes, 20 minutes and half an inch in)

at half an hour in (at about three quarters of an inch) the first ash falls. The flavors have not changed from where we just were. I forced the ash as to not ash on my pants/computer.

The beginning of the middle third bring on more power and more spice. The Nicaraguan ligero is in full force here. The wood-pulp undertones are a dead give away of where the tobacco comes from. There is still a subtle chewy sweetness to it that I hope last the entire cigar. It is the highlight thus far. I get the impression that with age this will be brought to the front as the cigar ages away power and spice.

An hour in and I am approaching the mid point. There is a fierce increase in power compared to the beginning of the cigar. It forces me to smoke slower. There have been very minor burn issues. The balance is there, but I feel that age will get it to where it really wants to be. In my mind the aging potential of this cigar is staggering.

As I finally hit the final third (an hour and 20 minutes in) the spice turns warm. The cinnamon-like flavor becomes warmer. Its a nice addition to the mix. The chewy sweet mentioned above is still there. The power is really starting to settle in. I have not smoked many full bodied cigars recently, and I can tell.

Though I am feeling this cigar in the gut, I continue to smoke this thing all the way down. The flavor retains complexity and smoothness even this far in. this is another cigar that I am happy to smoke but sad to see as gray ashes in the tray.

Burn to the burn
    time: 2 hours and 15 minutes.
    For a robusto. Seriously. That's a slow burn and a slow smoke due to the power.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 8
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 9.5
    Feel: 9.5

• smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    Awesome review Kuzi...i just ordered some of these bad boys today.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I've only had one AAA and I smoked it right after I smoked a 262 Paradigm and it stomped all over the 262 in the strength and body department. It's a really great stick that I really enjoyed. I need to pick up some more.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Fantastic! I've got 10 of these bad boys sitting in my aging humi, hopefully several of them can get some real age to them. Nice review, I'm really excited now.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    That was a great review and I like these sticks a lot.
    I really feel like I'm going to have to revisit the AAA. The one I had lasted about 10 minutes, as I had to put it out because the only thing I could get out of it was this terrible bitterness. I'm hoping it just had something to do with that particular stick. Maybe I'll get a box and let them rest for a year or two. Great review though Kuzi, as always!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Smoked an AAA tonight after this review put it in my head. When this was initially released, I wasn't so crazy about it, but time has smoothed out some of the rough spots and I'm really finding I enjoy this cigar a lot.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    AAA are great, but really need time to age.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I think the PA broadleaf is really an underrated wrapper and is becoming one of my favorites. Nice review Kuzi, thanks.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    I've got a box of them aging right now and really want to smoke one because of this review. I will do my best to resist, but it may end up a futile effort.
    DSWarmack:
    I've got a box of them aging right now and really want to smoke one because of this review. I will do my best to resist, but it may end up a futile effort.
    resist the urge. as i said in the reviw, the aging potential is staggering.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    ShotgunJohn:
    I think the PA broadleaf is really an underrated wrapper and is becoming one of my favorites. Nice review Kuzi, thanks.
    How do you figure it's underrated? Maybe it is outside this community (I pretty much stick here exclusively), but it's responsible for a lot of sticks that get really rave reviews on here, like this one, Diesel UHC and Shorty, Patel Bro's, LHC Oscura Fuerte...
    Ken Light:
    ShotgunJohn:
    How do you figure it's underrated? Maybe it is outside this community (I pretty much stick here exclusively), but it's responsible for a lot of sticks that get really rave reviews on here, like this one, Diesel UHC and Shorty, Patel Bro's, LHC Oscura Fuerte...
    I think overall outside of this community, think about it the majoity of brands you named are produced by AJ.
    I talk to BOTLs outside of here and they say AJ who? I think the PA leaf never really gets fully used, I mean Connecticut Broadleaf/Sumatra/Brazil maduros far outnumber PA Broadleaf.
    Maybe instead of underrated, I should have said under utilized.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    ShotgunJohn:
    Ken Light:
    ShotgunJohn:
    I think overall outside of this community, think about it the majoity of brands you named are produced by AJ.
    I talk to BOTLs outside of here and they say AJ who? I think the PA leaf never really gets fully used, I mean Connecticut Broadleaf/Sumatra/Brazil maduros far outnumber PA Broadleaf.
    Definitely underutilized. Well maybe. I think if it gets too big I'll get tired of it. :) And people outside here don't know who AJ is? Man, I'm glad I found this place...I think I'll stick here in our little bubble and pretend like the rest of the world doesn't exist...

...why do I have patriotic American songs playing in my head right now? LoL
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    After reading the review and all the comments concerning the AAA I am even more glad that I was gifted the Double Happiness version of the AAA, so now I either have 2 great Robusto somkes or 1 Big A$$ Mother of a great smoke. Either way thanks j0z3r for the stick.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    ShotgunJohn:
    Ken Light:
    ShotgunJohn:
    Keep in mind too that PA Broadleaf hasn't really been available as a wrapper choice for nearly as long as the others you mentioned. Also, ask most cigar smokers what kind of wrapper is on their cigar and the best answer you'll get is natural or maduro, nothing about seed varietal or country of origin...fact of the matter is that those of us who are passionate and want to learn as much as we can are a minority in the cigar community.
    j0z3r:
    ShotgunJohn:
    Ken Light:
    ShotgunJohn:
    Keep in mind too that PA Broadleaf hasn't really been available as a wrapper choice for nearly as long as the others you mentioned. Also, ask most cigar smokers what kind of wrapper is on their cigar and the best answer you'll get is natural or maduro, nothing about seed varietal or country of origin...fact of the matter is that those of us who are passionate and want to learn as much as we can are a minority in the cigar community.
    I agree with you that a majority of cigar smokers just smoke and don't care about country of orgin or wrapper leaf type. I guess we all have great passion for cigars on this forum, hell that's why we are here everyday. :)