Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

And so it begins.....

2»

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Oh, there you are. I just posted an inquiry regarding your whereabouts in the General Discussion section. I was beginning to worry about you.

Regarding the question of price of the so-called super premiums, here's a link to what I thought was a somewhat interesting read: http://robustojoe.com/tobacco-cigars/expensive-cigars/. Sorry you'll have to copy and paste it - it's a hassle to make it clickable.

Anyway, this coming Thursday will be the last of the reviews, sadly. I've really enjoyed being able to try these great sticks. The Ashton will be the last - for no particular reason except that I elected to smoke them all in order of length. A really discriminating reason, eh? Thanks again, Glen.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    It has been my pleasure my friend. The ONLY reason Im glad the next review will be the end of the road is that I will be able to discuss all of the sticks freely - been holding back so as not to influence you. Again, this has been a really good time Marty, thanks!

Well, we're at the end of the road. It's been a great trip, Glen, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

This last smoke was the Ashton ESG - a double corona listed as 6.7 x 49 - and a very good smoke.

Here's all you need for an enjoyable mini-vacation. A snifter of Booker's and a fine cigar. The 20-year Salute is listed as full-bodied but, as with other super-premiums, I'm learning that when the blend is right a full-bodied smoke will usually be as smooth as a medium-bodied one. This one was no exception.

The draw was fairly firm but the tightness was only in the first couple inches at the head. My poker solved it. The burn was even and consistent. Needed no relights, etc. The flavor was quite nice. I think I'd rank this one in third place after the Davidoff and the Diamond Crown. That's just my humble opinion, however - I'm sure others would rank them differently.

Anyway, I can't begin to thank you enough for this opportunity, Glen. As I said earlier, it's been a great trip. Thanks for the ride, my friend.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Very cool thread guys. Its been a great read so thanks to both of you.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Deeee lovely!

I love this thread! I've been following it but not commenting for some reason... Snipy hooked you up with some BRILLIANT smokes! The GOF is on my burn list... I have some resting and waiting for a reason to celebrate... like, idunno, a Red & Gold Lombardi Trophy?
    Alright kiddies, you heard the man... fire for range is now complete. Effective munitions are Davidoff, Diamond Crown and Ashton ESG - any and all BOTL who love jlmarta and have enjoyed this thread as much as I have are now authorized weapons hot and may fire at will!!!
    By the way Marty, I sincerely hope this is a beginning and not an end. Would love to see you start your own "Palette Challenged Reviews" thread in the Review section. Anybody else with me on this, gimme a HELL YEAH!
    Thanks for the very complimentary comments, Glen, but I couldn't begin to compete with BORKS like The Robbyras, or The Irishman, Enfidl, just to name a few. These kids know a ton more about cigars than this ol' geezer. I just burn 'em to enjoy 'em. I can't tell essence of ambergris from parrotfeather pudding. I know only a few things -

1. Does it draw right?
    2. Does it burn right?
    3. Does it taste good?

I could maybe include even a fourth one: Does it make lotsa smoke? That's about the limit of my expertise. But thanks.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    jlmarta:
    Thanks for the very complimentary comments, Glen, but I couldn't begin to compete with BORKS like The Robbyras, or The Irishman, Enfidl, just to name a few. These kids know a ton more about cigars than this ol' geezer. I just burn 'em to enjoy 'em. I can't tell essence of ambergris from parrotfeather pudding. I know only a few things -

1. Does it draw right?
    2. Does it burn right?
    3. Does it taste good?

I could maybe include even a fourth one: Does it make lotsa smoke? That's about the limit of my expertise. But thanks.
    Sounds like a good review style to me. I've enjoyed this series of reviews