Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel Decade

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I know a lot of peeps like it on this board. I'm curious about it but I've not liked much of RP's cigars. I do like the vintage 90 but that's all. I haven't had everything but I've had enough to be leery of another cigar especially at the price these things hold. a shop near me use to have a lot of RP's but sold them off as the owner hates RP with a passion. I guess they have not had a very good business dealing. I know I asked him about RP's cause I've got several of the 90s from him, he said F**k RP! so he really doesn't like him.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    phobicsquirrel:
    I know a lot of peeps like it on this board. I'm curious about it but I've not liked much of RP's cigars. I do like the vintage 90 but that's all. I haven't had everything but I've had enough to be leery of another cigar especially at the price these things hold. a shop near me use to have a lot of RP's but sold them off as the owner hates RP with a passion. I guess they have not had a very good business dealing. I know I asked him about RP's cause I've got several of the 90s from him, he said F**k RP! so he really doesn't like him.
    Wow, that's crazy...I wonder what happened? I have met Rocky before and he seemed like a really nice guy...but then again, I have never been in business with him.
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    I have tried about 1/2 his line and only found a couple I really didn't like - all the rest has been from good to great, and I regularly buy a few of them now including the 1992 and OWR. I like 1990, Edge and Decade a lot too. Here's my Decade review: http://cigarobsession.com/2009/03/30/rocky-patel-decade-robusto/
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Re: Rocky Patel Decade 03-21-2009, 10:33 AM Fourtotheflush Joined on 09-10-2008 Posts 176 Reply Quote Delete Edit Favorites Contact Report abuse Ok, So I ordered yesterday and they are shipped yesterday. I should have them in hand on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have 10 coming in and a box of Nubs so I may not wait the customary 'resting' time. I may have to pull the trigger on one and spark it up next weekend! So does anyone on CCom have a review of these? I know that CA has one, what about any of the pro's on this site. I know Kuzi stated he hasnt had one yet so thats out! Anybody have a detailed review out there? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Work called! They said if you dont come in on Friday, dont bother to come in on Monday! - Whoo hoo four day weekend! ---------

These came in, Ive had two. Both Were great without the customary waiting period. I am going to continue to smoke these and they will probably be one of my go to cigars when I'm having a 'special' smoke.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    One I keep finding myself smoking if I have them...Have not been able to age any I've bought in the past month .... "damn it Cap'n I'm givin' it all I got ..." Scottys response to Captain Kirk after being busted in engineering for smoking a Decade and not showing patience ? " ...
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I have one of these, it has about a week or so of resting. I might bust it out. As far as Rocky doing bad business, the issue seems to be he's just much more willing to grant great deals to websites and magazines then stores.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    betasynn:
    I have one of these, it has about a week or so of resting. I might bust it out. As far as Rocky doing bad business, the issue seems to be he's just much more willing to grant great deals to websites and magazines then stores.

I've really never heard anything bad about Rocky personally and I know several people who have met him. They all came away genuinly impressed with him, but theres always two sides to every story.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    gmill880:
    betasynn:

I've really never heard anything bad about Rocky personally and I know several people who have met him. They all came away genuinly impressed with him, but theres always two sides to every story.
    Yea, I've never heard anything bad about Rocky and I know my local shop's owner pretty well and visit with him pretty often. He does a lot of work with Rocky and thinks he is one of the best people in the cigar biz. He does do a lot of "online only" smokes, but he does some for B&Ms as well.
    I don't know what my local shop owner has up his craw but he doesn't like RP that much... eh, you can't please everyone I guess.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I have about 10 Decades that have some good age to them. Maybe 6 months worth.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    rwheelwright:

So wheelie... are you bragging or looking for a trade? LMAO
    rwheelwright:
    I think someone is bragging.. just me though...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    Nah man. Just stating. I really liked them when I got them and I want to see how well they age. The first one I had was awesome. The second one was really good but not as good as the first one.

If I was bragging, it would be about the 2 HMRs that I just bought.

NOT! :-)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    Nah man. Just stating. I really liked them when I got them and I want to see how well they age. The first one I had was awesome. The second one was really good but not as good as the first one.

NOT!
    I have a friend that has 6 or 7 left out of a box he bought and they have well over a year on them. I think he is going to break out a couple friday night at my place for us.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Ditto for me. I have 2 toros with 8 months on them i plan on smoking with my dad when he rolls through town on friday.
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:

NOT! :-)

LMAO I was going to say, that would not be bragging but BS'ing. I still have one decade left from a BOTL here from c.com (pheebs?) and I want to age it for a while as well. The first one I had was very tasty.
    I just got a few more of the RP Connie's. Have you had any of them? I have had one and it was really good.
    I just had my first RP Decade Torpedo last night. GREAT smoke, I really enjoyed...2hrs to smoke it. I definitley would be buying more...word to the wise...do not smoke this on an empty stomach.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I've got some Decade toros that have nearly 18 months on them...once they hit that milestone, I'm gonna smoke one and see how I like them. It was really good after 10 months, so I'm looking forward to it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Just had one of these in a corona size - best vitola BY FAR in this line IMHO! Cant believe the difference!

Funny how tastes change after a while. I see I commented on the Decade I smoked as being tasty, Now I don't like them at all ! Finding that I am less impressed with Honduran tobbacco then I am with Nicaraguan.

Some multi country filler sticks are very tasty but the Honduran filler doesn't stand alone very well IMO. Still LOVE Sumatra wrappers.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I think there is a thread somewhere talking about how the blend on these have changed from the original release. The decade was a stick I loved at first and my last several have been very bitter. I miss them, they were so good.
    Good call. I had forgot about that. I see that the posts are from 2009, would that have been when they were originals still? Maybe that is why I have good comments here on the one post, but now I just don't like the Decades at all.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    laker1963:
    Funny how tastes change after a while. I see I commented on the Decade I smoked as being tasty, Now I don't like them at all ! Finding that I am less impressed with Honduran tobbacco then I am with Nicaraguan.

Some multi country filler sticks are very tasty but the Honduran filler doesn't stand alone very well IMO. Still LOVE Sumatra wrappers.
    Thats funny,, Cause I used to feel the same between Nic and Hon ,, always preferred Nic, But lately Im gravitating back to Hon,,, Its weird...
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    They used to be a PA wrapper. No longer the case. They got the 95 rating with the PA. As with most of the RP of recent year, once they run out of the blend/wrapper they had they just substitute and hope people don't notice.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    It's not necessarily your tastes, though palate development might play a part, but this cigar has changed numerous times since it was released. I've had some that were great, and others that were pretty boring.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Marker:
    They used to be a PA wrapper. No longer the case. They got the 95 rating with the PA. As with most of the RP of recent year, once they run out of the blend/wrapper they had they just substitute and hope people don't notice.
    Any idea what it is now? CT Broadleaf? I have one sitting in the humi that I picked up 12/2009. Anyone know if that would be the old or new blend?
    Sumatra wrapper now.
    bigharpoon:
    I think there is a thread somewhere talking about how the blend on these have changed from the original release. The decade was a stick I loved at first and my last several have been very bitter. I miss them, they were so good.
    same could be said w/ the 1990
    Krieg:
    bigharpoon:
    same could be said w/ the 1990
    The decade is good, don't get me wrong. Just can't charge Oliva V prices for an RP decade unless your blend is as smooth and consistent. RP Decades are not.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    The past few I have smoked have been a treat. If I am going to smoke a RP, it will be the Decade, Fifteenth or an OWR.