Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel Decade

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Jetmech_63:
    I love the Decade but really hate the price tag. I think it's a lot like an Olde World Maduro, but a bit richer. I'd love to see how they do with age if i cold stop smoking everyone i get!
    Price tag on the Decade? $5/stick all day long...
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Marker:
    Sumatra wrapper now.
    When did this change? Any idea on the date? I have a few Decades stashed away with almost two years on them now, but I do have a few newer ones in there as well.

And from a PA Broadleaf to a Sumatra? That's a bit drastic, isn't it? I mean, why not just get PA Broadleaf from a different crop/year/grower/etc? That makes it seem like they purposely reworked the blend instead of just trying to pass it off as the same thing. But, why wouldn't they put out a release or something?

Could you imagine really liking a Decade with a few years of age on it a buddy gave you? Like, really liking it? And then purchasing 2 boxes for the purpose of aging. Man, how mad would you be in 2-3 years - especially if you don't care for Sumatra wrappers?
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    alienmisprint:
    Marker:
    Sumatra wrapper now.
    When did this change? Any idea on the date? I have a few Decades stashed away with almost two years on them now, but I do have a few newer ones in there as well.

And from a PA Broadleaf to a Sumatra? That's a bit drastic, isn't it? I mean, why not just get PA Broadleaf from a different crop/year/grower/etc? That makes it seem like they purposely reworked the blend instead of just trying to pass it off as the same thing. But, why wouldn't they put out a release or something?

Could you imagine really liking a Decade with a few years of age on it a buddy gave you? Like, really liking it? And then purchasing 2 boxes for the purpose of aging. Man, how mad would you be in 2-3 years - especially if you don't care for Sumatra wrappers?
    Yeah, I think you would be a little peeved. Why I don't want to really get into RP sticks right now. You never know what you will get. If you notice also, many online stores are 'closing' them out. I had 10 people they love the 1990 and 1961. I tried them and totally disliked them. They were newer. I found out later they no longer had the same blend as two years ago. Very disappointing.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    This thread got my wondering what his new 50th Anniversary is gonna taste like...
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Diamondog:
    Jetmech_63:
    I love the Decade but really hate the price tag. I think it's a lot like an Olde World Maduro, but a bit richer. I'd love to see how they do with age if i cold stop smoking everyone i get!
    Even with his new pricing policy?
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Russ55:
    Diamondog:
    Jetmech_63:
    Even with his new pricing policy?
    I haven't picked any up for a bit but it shouldn't be hard to find them at that price or at least close to it...
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    So, when was the change from the PA Broadleaf to the Sumatra?
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I think it was originally a Sumatra when it first came out, then changed to PA broad-leaf some time in the past few years. No clue what it is now. Only reason I say this is I've got a cotm leaflet from about 2 years ago that says Sumatra. Who knows.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I thought the recently released decade edition limitada was broadleaf.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    rwheelwright:
    I thought the recently released decade edition limitada was broadleaf.
    that one is ; description i saw,,;; Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada features the same binder and filler blend as the original Decade. However, the wrapper has been switched to what remains of the Pennsylvania Broadleaf from the Winter Collection 2009. Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada is indeed limited, because only 250 boxes were made. Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada is medium to full bodied in strength with good amount of smoke. It is spicy in flavor with smooth and hints of dark fruit, coffee, and dark chocolate notes.Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada is a nice change of pace from the regular Decade line.
    Winter blend 2009 was a damn good cigar too.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I prefer The Edge...But im going to give it another look,, If I can find one.. Im going in
    The Kid:
    I prefer The Edge...But im going to give it another look,, If I can find one.. Im going in

Well I found my last one at the bottom of one of my humidors in a section where my Rocky's usually hang out. Ive had this one probably bout 9 months. I also found a couple of sun growns, a couple of edges and a fusion. I just checked and see that this scored a 95.. Not sure which vitola,, A 95? Really??.. Hmmm The Bradley scored a 94 on the Family Blend and although a good stick..I thought it fell short of such high marks,, but in fairness, I only had it a few weeks before smoking..So far the Decade is doing good..(I'll be back)...Initially it started stronger than I remember,, probably an inch in and it has mellowed out, can taste the aged tobacco.. This one might have more time on it than I thought,, Who knows? It has a nice aroma, burning well with alternating white and dark grey ash, burn line is good.. The finish is long..picking up what I'd call an herbal nuance..(Ill be back).. Smooth on the retrohale a sweet flavor I cant pick out. I usually read prior reviews after I smoke and compare.. But not this time.. This cigar has an extremely nice aroma. I read black cherry, now thats not something I would of come up with but it does somewhat describe the sweetness. I was attributing it to the sumatra wrapper, From what I see and taste this is not a pa broadleaf. The aroma is really pleasant,, floral and goes very well with the finish..Im really enjoying this stick..into the 2nd third and no drastic changes very smooth and creamy,, This cigar is a torpedo and the finish is not dry at all, I havent had anything to drink since I started. Halfway in and I notice the burn line gets a little wavy after it loses its ash but then cleans up as the ash increases. the ash is a little flaky but not much, Longest ash I was able to hold on to is probably little more than an inch. The draw has been perfect throughought.. and the cigar give plenty of smoke. One thing I like is that when resting the smoke is minimal. I really want to compare this to a red wine.. the cigar is a little more intense as the tannin or oils are building, still very smooth on the retrohale, a little more bitter and hot but not by much, its still very good into last third, trying not to overheat this as it gets closer to the finish. the herbal that i mentioned earlier was only in the first third, the floral sweetness has been constant at one point i was like yea black cherry midway, but its more of a redwine type of flavor,,btw i dont think my palate is as accomplished as others,, donth think i have those super taste buds..theres something im picking up in the last third maybe a tiny bit of leather.. kinda toasty, i wouldnt say nutty.. The ciagr finished very well, it only became a tiny bit bitter and hot for a moment then was gone. the cigar finished with more spice and a slight hint of licorice. the spice was hard to pinpoint but seemed to have an herbal tone . not pepper..Very very nice cigar..I smoked an old world the other day and was suprised because on that one I didnt think much of it at all. I also have to say I have a bit of a buzz going on, havent eaten much today. The cigar was very salivating.. If that makes sense. As far as reviews go I only read what was on their product description prior to smoking.. No staff reviews.
    The Kid:
    The Kid:

Well I found my last one at the bottom of one of my humidors in a section where my Rocky's usually hang out. Ive had this one probably bout 9 months. I also found a couple of sun growns, a couple of edges and a fusion. I just checked and see that this scored a 95.. Not sure which vitola,, A 95? Really??.. Hmmm The Bradley scored a 94 on the Family Blend and although a good stick..I thought it fell short of such high marks,, but in fairness, I only had it a few weeks before smoking..So far the Decade is doing good..(I'll be back)...Initially it started stronger than I remember,, probably an inch in and it has mellowed out, can taste the aged tobacco.. This one might have more time on it than I thought,, Who knows? It has a nice aroma, burning well with alternating white and dark grey ash, burn line is good.. The finish is long..picking up what I'd call an herbal nuance..(Ill be back).. Smooth on the retrohale a sweet flavor I cant pick out. I usually read prior reviews after I smoke and compare.. But not this time.. This cigar has an extremely nice aroma. I read black cherry, now thats not something I would of come up with but it does somewhat describe the sweetness. I was attributing it to the sumatra wrapper, From what I see and taste this is not a pa broadleaf. The aroma is really pleasant,, floral and goes very well with the finish..Im really enjoying this stick..into the 2nd third and no drastic changes very smooth and creamy,, This cigar was a torpedo and the finish is not dry at all, I havent had anything to drink since I started. Halfway in
    The torpedo had the 95 rating. IMO the torpedo is def the best vitola in the Decade.
    The Kid:
    The Kid:

Well I found my last one at the bottom of one of my humidors in a section where my Rocky's usually hang out. Ive had this one probably bout 9 months. I also found a couple of sun growns, a couple of edges and a fusion. I just checked and see that this scored a 95.. Not sure which vitola,, A 95? Really??.. Hmmm The Bradley scored a 94 on the Family Blend and although a good stick..I thought it fell short of such high marks,, but in fairness, I only had it a few weeks before smoking..So far the Decade is doing good..(I'll be back)...Initially it started stronger than I remember,, probably an inch in and it has mellowed out, can taste the aged tobacco.. This one might have more time on it than I thought,, Who knows? It has a nice aroma, burning well with alternating white and dark grey ash, burn line is good.. The finish is long..picking up what I'd call an herbal nuance..(Ill be back).. Smooth on the retrohale a sweet flavor I cant pick out. I usually read prior reviews after I smoke and compare.. But not this time.. This cigar has an extremely nice aroma. I read black cherry, now thats not something I would of come up with but it does somewhat describe the sweetness. I was attributing it to the sumatra wrapper, From what I see and taste this is not a pa broadleaf. The aroma is really pleasant,, floral and goes very well with the finish..Im really enjoying this stick..into the 2nd third and no drastic changes very smooth and creamy,, This cigar is a torpedo and the finish is not dry at all, I havent had anything to drink since I started. Halfway in and I notice the burn line gets a little wavy after it loses its ash but then cleans up as the ash increases. the ash is a little flaky but not much, Longest ash I was able to hold on to is probably little more than an inch. The draw has been perfect throughought.. and the cigar give plenty of smoke. One thing I like is that when resting the smoke is minimal. I really want to compare this to a red wine..In the last third the cigar is a little more intense as the tannin or oils are building, still very smooth on the retrohale, a little more bitter and hot but not by much, its still very good into last third, trying not to overheat this as it gets closer to the finish. the herbal that i mentioned earlier was only in the first third, the floral sweetness has been constant at one point i was like yea black cherry midway, but its more of a redwine type of flavor,,btw i dont think my palate is as accomplished as others,, donth think i have those super taste buds..theres something im picking up in the last third maybe a tiny bit of leather.. kinda toasty, i wouldnt say nutty.. The ciagr finished very well, it only became a tiny bit bitter and hot for a moment then was gone. the cigar finished with more spice and a slight hint of licorice. the spice was hard to pinpoint but seemed to have an herbal tone . not pepper..Very very nice cigar..I smoked an old world the other day and was suprised because on that one I didnt think much of it at all. I also have to say I have a bit of a buzz going on, havent eaten much today. The cigar was very salivating.. If that makes sense. As far as reviews go I only read what was on their product description prior to smoking.. No staff reviews.

Photobucket
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    Krieg:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:

Well I found my last one at the bottom of one of my humidors in a section where my Rocky's usually hang out. Ive had this one probably bout 9 months. I also found a couple of sun growns, a couple of edges and a fusion. I just checked and see that this scored a 95.. Not sure which vitola,, A 95? Really??.. Hmmm The Bradley scored a 94 on the Family Blend and although a good stick..I thought it fell short of such high marks,, but in fairness, I only had it a few weeks before smoking..So far the Decade is doing good..(I'll be back)...Initially it started stronger than I remember,, probably an inch in and it has mellowed out, can taste the aged tobacco.. This one might have more time on it than I thought,, Who knows? It has a nice aroma, burning well with alternating white and dark grey ash, burn line is good.. The finish is long..picking up what I'd call an herbal nuance..(Ill be back).. Smooth on the retrohale a sweet flavor I cant pick out. I usually read prior reviews after I smoke and compare.. But not this time.. This cigar has an extremely nice aroma. I read black cherry, now thats not something I would of come up with but it does somewhat describe the sweetness. I was attributing it to the sumatra wrapper, From what I see and taste this is not a pa broadleaf. The aroma is really pleasant,, floral and goes very well with the finish..Im really enjoying this stick..into the 2nd third and no drastic changes very smooth and creamy,, This cigar was a torpedo and the finish is not dry at all, I havent had anything to drink since I started. Halfway in
    The torpedo had the 95 rating. IMO the torpedo is def the best vitola in the Decade.
    i agree i fell in love with the torpedo back when it first was released. still have 6 of them that have been resting from 07 or 08 (cant remember the year. its been a while)
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    Krieg:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:

thats the older one with a penn. broadleaf or other one? i think i like the edge maduro best but might have to revist, my loca b&m l did have the edicion limitadas , ill have to check
    Krieg:
    Agreed.
    The picture looks like the Sumatra wrapper. The PA wrapper is darker when you see it on the decade. Of course it could just be camera or lighting. Who knows.
    Marker:
    The picture looks like the Sumatra wrapper. The PA wrapper is darker when you see it on the decade. Of course it could just be camera or lighting. Who knows.
    I agree, was a sumatra... I am suprised by how much they are asking for this cigar, I didnt remember the cigar being this expensive. I have to admit I am suprised as this cigar was way better than I remember.. As a matter of fact if anyone has any torps that they would like to trade, send me a pm and I'm sure I have something that would be worthwhile. Thanks guys was nice to give this one another look. I think the edge just got edged out..LOL
    BTW, I took a little nap after my smoke and right before I fell asleep I thought of Paprika,, Thats the spice flavor I definately picked up in the last 3rd.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    PM to you Kid.
    granneja:
    PM to you Kid.
    PM returned thanks again!!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Hmmmm.... I remember a 5 pack I got that seemed to have different color wrappers....

Most are 2 years old, so may still be just quality control and the old style... who knows
    415:
    Krieg:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:

Those should be FANTASTIC right now The torpedo had the 95 rating. IMO the torpedo is def the best vitola in the Decade.
    i agree i fell in love with the torpedo back when it first was released. still have 6 of them that have been resting from 07 or 08 (cant remember the year. its been a while)
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    I love the RP Decade torp. I've tried the other vitolas, and the torp is the best imo. In fact, the Decade is my all time favorite cigar. I don't have the experience as some here, but I had the Decade early on in my cigar smoking experience, and it is still the cigar that I judge all others against. I really like the creaminess of it. I keep several Decade torps on hand at all times. Its my special occasion cigar. Since i've been smoking them, 2 years, they have always been Sumatra wrapped. I really like the sumatra wrapper, which is probably why i like the RP 92 also.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I really dont like the RP line except for the decade. Easily in my top 5.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I hated the decade right off the truck but I loved it after a couple weeks of rest
    bigjohn125:
    I love the RP Decade torp. I've tried the other vitolas, and the torp is the best imo. In fact, the Decade is my all time favorite cigar. I don't have the experience as some here, but I had the Decade early on in my cigar smoking experience, and it is still the cigar that I judge all others against. I really like the creaminess of it. I keep several Decade torps on hand at all times. Its my special occasion cigar. Since i've been smoking them, 2 years, they have always been Sumatra wrapped. I really like the sumatra wrapper, which is probably why i like the RP 92 also.
    u should try the Edge Sumatra since you might be a fan of the sumatra wrapper...or RP Renaissance
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    I'll try them out, if I can find them. Thanks for the advise.