Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Thoughts on passes

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
In light of reading a few threads on ongoing and past cigar passes, and the angst that sometimes seems to accompany them, I've noticed there's one thing that kind of bugs me about them.

Requiring the participants to post what they're taking and what they're adding. To me that feels like adding an approval process to the whole thing which I think sucks a lot of the fun out of it. I understand why some guys want it that way, they want to make sure it's fair and balanced. Why choose a bunch of B'sOTL to do a pass if you're not sure they're going to be fair and balanced in the first place, then? Not to mention this always seems to lead to someone getting all spun up

My suggestion would be striking that from pass rules. Whatever someone takes and puts in a pass should be in the good spirit of the game, without judgement or high expectations from the other participants. And if you're that guy or gal that takes an OpusX in exchange for a dog rocket, well...reciprocity. The universe usually finds a way to correct itself. If you start a pass however, and those are your rules, far be it from me or anyone else to tell you your wrong.

Anyway, those are my two cents on the matter that had been swimming around my head. Just wanted to put them out there in words.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Having just completed a pass I agree completely. When I did my pass I set it up this way for these exact reasons. When it was over I thought about posting the final tally of puts and takes along with pictures but, again, for these very reasons chose not to.

During my pass if anyone had a question or concern about their own swap they could address it either in the thread or in a pm but approval wasn't required. I did ask people to post their takes though, because I felt it added to the excitement. When you are waiting for the pass to come your way and you see someone took X and someone else took Y it builds anticipation of what is in there without judging the swap itself or increasing your knowledge of what sticks are in the box.

When I started my pass I sent off my sticks with every intention of probably never seeing those cigars, or any cigars, ever again. This is not to say I didn't trust the people in the pass but rather I felt this was an appropriate mentality to take since my goal was to provide fun, excitement and cigars for others ~ not to improve my own humidor at others expense.

While I agree with you each pass is a little different and if you don't like the way a pass is set up you don't have to participate. To each his own.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    The first two passes I was involved in here got to me in such a condition I felt bad for the people starting it. They went from some nice cigars for people to try, to a dump zone for unwanted cigars with no concern for the people after them.

So I sent PMs to the people who started the pass. Restocked one and sent it on. The other one wasn't worth the postage to forward on any longer.

People put $1-$2 dog rockets that have no place in a pass to others (unless it is a crap pass by definition). And take $3-$4 cigars out that some people might like to try. So it ends up with 20 cigars that many people would never purchase or smoke themselves. Pretty sad sight.

Having to post your puts and takes should never bother anyone. It is a smiple way to make sure the pass still has some quality cigars from start to finish. Otherwise being last in a pass is like paying $10 to put your name on a list.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    The land that had nourished him and had borne him fruit now turned against him
    and called him a fruit.
    Man, I hate land like that.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    beatnic:
    The land that had nourished him and had borne him fruit now turned against him
    and called him a fruit.
    Man, I hate land like that.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
    I don't really have any "thoughts" on passes, they aren't good or bad. It is the people IN the pass that make it good, bad, succesful or not. If it gets raped along the way by unscrupulous people... that is not the sign of a "bad" pass.

On the other side, having a pass full of nothing but super premies that a lot of BOTL here don't have or don't want to part with also is not the sign of a "good" pass. It is about the people who take part and the ACT of the pass itself. It is like sitting down with new aquaintences and old friends all together for a good meal, and good conversation. It's the sharing and the good feelings that come from giving something that meant something to you. It is a feeling of satisfaction which comes only from those special moments in life. If you have been in a pass and have come away with something other then that? I feel bad for you, and I urge you to keep trying the passes until you do feel that feeling. It is worth every stick in your humi or coolerdor brother, because they can be replaced. Some of the best things in life... can NEVER be purchased.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I agree that posting takes and puts can make the process a bit more anxiety-provoking, but it's what makes it fun to watch! If I had to suggest a compromise I'd say you could post takes and then the contents of the entire pass so anyone watching casually won't bother to figure out the specific puts but someone involved and who really cares to check can. Honestly, it makes me somewhat anxious to send anything to anyone on here simply because I care that much that what I send is good enough.

And Marker, I mean this as genuinely helpful as a comment like this can be, if you've been that screwed over and have become that jaded with this place (and I'm not contesting that you have or that you have a right to feel that way), the best course of action is to just stop coming back. I honestly don't get it at this point.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I believe that if everyone involved in a pass, when it came to them, based their takes and puts as if they were TRADING with the originator of the pass, problems with passes would probably never occur.

Dennis' "Contents of my Humidor" pass will be the last pass Im involved in, and I wouldnt have gotten involved with that had it not been for A) Dennis asking me specifically and B) seeing the list of people involved so I knew they wouldnt be any drama involved.

Im so fed up with this shite that Im not even going to read thru the threads of passes. Things like this used to be fun, but now they're just filled with hate & vitriol. I dont have time for that crap. A hobby is supposed to be enjoyable.

Ken Light:
    Honestly, it makes me somewhat anxious to send anything to anyone on here simply because I care that much that what I send is good enough.

This statement is EXACTLY what's driving me batshit about all this. The way the forums used to be, you got excited when you got FREE CIGARS from someone. Whether it be a bomb, trade or pass, you just got cigars to smoke that you didnt have before you opened the mailbox that day!

Didnt matter what was IN the box.

Didnt run straight to the computer to see if there was a discrepancy was between what you sent and what you got.

Didnt turn your nose up and go "Sol Cubano Cuban Classic?!?!? Thats a stinkin FOUR DOLLAR stick!"

That was then.

Ken Light:
    Honestly, it makes me somewhat anxious to send anything to anyone on here simply because I care that much that what I send is good enough.

This is now. When we've got solid BOTL like Ken Light, 1,000+ posts in, nervous about GIVING SOMEONE CIGARS because he is afraid he will be judged for WHAT he sends - boys, we got a problem.

Ken Light:
    And Marker, I mean this as genuinely helpful as a comment like this can be, if you've been that screwed over and have become that jaded with this place (and I'm not contesting that you have or that you have a right to feel that way), the best course of action is to just stop coming back. I honestly don't get it at this point.
    Have I been screwed over in passes? I don't know that I have said that. Mentioning I felt bad for the people that started the passes doesn't imply that I was screwed. I helped out the passes and moved them along. Did you mean something else with that comment Ken? I don't get it either.

The Sniper:
    Ken Light:

This statement is EXACTLY what's driving me batshit about all this. The way the forums used to be, you got excited when you got FREE CIGARS from someone. Whether it be a bomb, trade or pass, you just got cigars to smoke that you didnt have before you opened the mailbox that day!

Didnt run straight to the computer to see if there was a discrepancy was between what you sent and what you got.

Didnt turn your nose up and go "Sol Cubano Cuban Classic?!?!? Thats a stinkin FOUR DOLLAR stick!"

That was then.

Ken Light:

This is now. When we've got solid BOTL like Ken Light, 1,000+ posts in, nervous about GIVING SOMEONE CIGARS because he is afraid he will be judged for WHAT he sends - boys, we got a problem.

I see what you're saying here, and you're right.

But that's not really what I meant. I meant I stress over it because I want to do right by who I'm sending to. If it never made it to a picture or a message on the forum, or anything that could be judged, I'd stress over it because that's who I am. "Good enough" was a very poor choice of words because it applies judgement. "Something the recipient will enjoy" is a better choice. I like to think that this behavior makes me a better person (not than anyone else, but than who I'd be if I did not do it), but probably it just makes me more stressed..

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Once I had defined my tastes and likes, I kinda got away from passes and trades. I know what I like to smoke, and fortunately I can afford to buy my own. Now I just bomb newbs. LOL
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I think Glen is exactly right. When I first came to this forum it was crazy with all the trades and bombs flying around, and nobody cared what was in them. We all got excited that someone thought of us when they were preparing a package for the mail. As soon as it started to feel people were more concerned with what was sent in the package than the fact that someone was kind enough to toss them a few free smokes I stopped coming around here. There are a few good people that used to be here back before all this drama and bullshit started that are not here any more. I say, if you feel nervous because you think someone is judging you then you aren't doing the right thing in the first place. if I send a pass and ask the people involved to post their actions it's for 2 reasons: I want to make it fun for everyone so they can see a smoke going in and hope that it's still there when it comes around to them, and so that I can see who is humble enough to appreciate the pass for what it really is. Stop bitching.
    Marker:
    Ken Light:
    Have I been screwed over in passes? I don't know that I have said that. Mentioning I felt bad for the people that started the passes doesn't imply that I was screwed. I helped out the passes and moved them along. Did you mean something else with that comment Ken? I don't get it either.

Yeah, I meant your comments have become jaded and bitter. I assume that for a change to happen there must be at least one incident, probably a series of incidents, maybe that you've only observed and not experienced. But maybe your comments always were jaded and bitter, maybe I'm just noticing it after the extreme was posted on Dennis's thread.

Either way, though, what's the point of coming to a place that makes you feel jaded and bitter? At least I hope it's the place doing it, on a certain level, because if that's just what you've become in general, then I'm even more sorry.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.
    Who's this final statement directed at?
    Marker:
    Ken Light:

You are more than welcome to feel bad for someone because of the contents of their pass when it comes around to you, and you are more than welcome to replace some of the less expensive smokes with pricier ones. But you are not welcome to complain about it after you put all your "good" smokes in a pass and take all the "bad" ones out. Nobody is asking you to be Officer Marker on here. If someone feels they were not treated fairly during a pass they have every right to be upset about it, and to deal with that person as they see fit in PRIVATE MESSAGES. If that doesn't work, as we have seen it does not always (JoeyJoe and Ozzie) then you have a right to come forward. Stop acting like you are better than me, and stop thinking you are proving to everyone here how great a trader you are. Just be a normal guy who enjoys cigars and do the right thing when it's your turn. It works out better that way for everyone.
    Ken Light:
    The Sniper:
    Ken Light:

That was then.

Ken Light:

I see what you're saying here, and you're right.

But that's not really what I meant. I meant I stress over it because I want to do right by who I'm sending to. If it never made it to a picture or a message on the forum, or anything that could be judged, I'd stress over it because that's who I am. "Good enough" was a very poor choice of words because it applies judgement. "Something the recipient will enjoy" is a better choice. I like to think that this behavior makes me a better person (not than anyone else, but than who I'd be if I did not do it), but probably it just makes me more stressed..

Im tracking you Ken. And I think you're right about it making you a better person - and I think if you put that kind of consideration into it when you send cigars out the door to someone, there is no need to stress. If the person receiving FREE CIGARS has assburn about what they get, you probably werent going to please them no matter what. One of the best sticks I have been bombed with in quite a while was a stick that goes for right at or under $2/stick (thanks again boydmcgowan!). Somebody introducing me to a super yummy cigar is awesome! Then finding out I can pick that stick up all day and not break the bank is even... awesome-er??? LOL Boyd & I had probably a good 2-3 page totally geeked out fanboy fest about that stick.

THATS what this is all supposed to be about. Not "I sent you a $14 MSRP stick and you sent me a $10 MSRP stick - YOU SCREWED ME!"

Ken Light:
    Marker:
    Ken Light:

Yeah, I meant your comments have become jaded and bitter. I assume that for a change to happen there must be at least one incident, probably a series of incidents, maybe that you've only observed and not experienced. But maybe your comments always were jaded and bitter, maybe I'm just noticing it after the extreme was posted on Dennis's thread.

Either way, though, what's the point of coming to a place that makes you feel jaded and bitter? At least I hope it's the place doing it, on a certain level, because if that's just what you've become in general, then I'm even more sorry.
    Don't feel sorry for me Ken. I have made some pretty good friends here. Nothing in that aspect to feel sorry about.

I talked to dennis about his pass and if you have not noticed we took care of it in PMs. If you have something you need to discuss go ahead and send one.

This thread is not about you sending a package to someone and hoping it is good enough. It is about thoughts on passes.
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.
    everyone honestly. I come here because of the brotherhood and the great guys that also come here for that reason. I see stuff like this and it makes the whole thing feel cheapened. I just want us all to be friends! :-)
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    ejenne87:
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.
    everyone honestly. I come here because of the brotherhood and the great guys that also come here for that reason. I see stuff like this and it makes the whole thing feel cheapened. I just want us all to be friends! :-)
    That's the way I feel. The guy that was slighted squashed it. Let's get back to the fun.
    ejenne87:
    Marker:
    Ken Light:

You are more than welcome to feel bad for someone because of the contents of their pass when it comes around to you, and you are more than welcome to replace some of the less expensive smokes with pricier ones. But you are not welcome to complain about it after you put all your "good" smokes in a pass and take all the "bad" ones out. Nobody is asking you to be Officer Marker on here. If someone feels they were not treated fairly during a pass they have every right to be upset about it, and to deal with that person as they see fit in PRIVATE MESSAGES. If that doesn't work, as we have seen it does not always (JoeyJoe and Ozzie) then you have a right to come forward. Stop acting like you are better than me, and stop thinking you are proving to everyone here how great a trader you are. Just be a normal guy who enjoys cigars and do the right thing when it's your turn. It works out better that way for everyone.
    I know I don't know you at all. In fact I can tell this from what you are saying here. So let me help you out a bit.

I took care of both of these passes through PRIVATE MESSAGES and phone calls. At the time that these passes happened I did not throw these people under the bus in the pass or call them out. I talked to the originator of the pass and worked it out privately.

Jumping to conclusions really is not helping. Can we discuss this thread now?
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.
    ME! :-D

The Sniper:
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.

And he's right by the way.

ejenne87:
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.
    Speaking for myself, I wasn't complaining about anything. I've been involved in two passes that were a lot of fun and one finished without incident as will the next after two more stops. Everyone here has been great to me over the past year, so believe me, I got nothing to complain about. As a participant and observer I've just made some mental notes and posted them as suggestions to the board. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, whoever doesn't certainly doesn't need to defend their stance. It's not like we're writing the Cigar.com Forum Constitution here.

I didn't mean for this thread to cite any specific examples or stir up anything either, and it seems it might be heading in that direction. For that I apologize.

ejenne87:
    I just want us all to be friends! :-)

I'd like to be your friend.
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.

It's not directed at you Glen. It's just kinda a blanket statement. You know what I'm saying Glen, I miss the way things used to be :-P
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.
    Speaking for myself, I wasn't complaining about anything. I've been involved in two passes that were a lot of fun and one finished without incident as will the next after two more stops. Everyone here has been great to me over the past year, so believe me, I got nothing to complain about. As a participant and observer I've just made some mental notes and posted them as suggestions to the board. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, whoever doesn't certainly doesn't need to defend their stance. It's not like we're writing the Cigar.com Forum Constitution here.

I didn't mean for this thread to cite any specific examples or stir up anything either, and it seems it might be heading in that direction. For that I apologize.

ejenne87:
    I just want us all to be friends! :-)

I'd like to be your friend.
    I think I have room on the friend boat for you :-P

ejenne87:
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    y2pascoe:
    ejenne87:
    Stop bitching.

It's not directed at you Glen. It's just kinda a blanket statement. You know what I'm saying Glen, I miss the way things used to be :-P
    I totally understand brother, was just trying to lighten the mood a bit. :-) GAME ON!

Marker:
    ejenne87:
    Marker:
    Ken Light:

I know I don't know you at all. In fact I can tell this from what you are saying here. So let me help you out a bit.

I took care of both of these passes through PRIVATE MESSAGES and phone calls. At the time that these passes happened I did not throw these people under the bus in the pass or call them out. I talked to the originator of the pass and worked it out privately.

Jumping to conclusions really is not helping. Can we discuss this thread now?
    If I know what I know after only being back for about 6 days then it's become too public. Lets read what we write from now on before hitting that post button. You have made your feelings very public concerning your actions in previous passes. These were feelings based on actions you seem to have taken out of your own free will and therefore it's not my duty to feel bad for you. You are getting negative attention from the people here because you are acting this way. And to point out that I do not know you is a cry for attention. I know I don't know you, you know I don't you. I was stating my thoughts based on the evidence I have been given. I have jumped to no conclusions, rather simply called out what I see as an attempt to make others feel in the wrong.
    y2pascoe:
    No need at all to apologize brother - you put up a post regarding yoru thoughts & feelings on how we can make things better, and that's HOW we get better as a community. If anybody should be apologizing on this, it should be me as I inadvertently took your thread and went off on a "BOTL brotherhood" rant. When I did it, I was trying to make the point that if we all do our best to be teh best BOTL's we can, the trade/pass/bomb issues would take care of themselves.

Unfortunately my first post in this thread took it in a different direction instead of enhancing it. I sincerely apologize for that as it wasnt intentional.

Now then, as a couple others have suggested, shall we get back to the discussion of y2pascoe's original post?

Look everybody! Kittens!

Photobucket
    y2pascoe:
    Look everybody! Kittens!

Photobucket
    HAHAHAHA I think I almost fell out of my chair! I was certainly not expecting this :-P
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Getting back to the initial post
    I'd like to take a sec and share some thoughts If I may on some good points that Bigharpoon Y2 ad The Sniper have brought up. Let me first respond by saying. I agree wholeheartedly with the approval process taking the fun out of the pass, It did for me. So much I had others help me shoulder the burden of the approval process. As I said before my pass was about the brothers involved not the final destination. The problem with just letting the pass fly without any approval is that some do take advantage of the generosity of others.. Now that wouldnt be such a bad thing if it was just between me and another individual.. I chalk it up as no biggy and move on.. The problem is when others enter a pass, I felt I owed it to them to maintain the consitency of the pass the whole way through,, Is it fair for just the first few guys in the pass to pick the cream of the crop and by the time it gets to the last persons the pass has deteriated so much that they only have run of the mill cigars to chose from? I truly felt obligated to make sure my pass was as good (if not better) when it ended as when it began. This wasnt for me, and (Im sure its not with others) or to increase the callibur of my own Humidor but it it was for each Brother here who volunteered to be apart of my pass.. As you will soon see a good portion of my pass has been gifted away. The Sniper was the only one who knew my intentions of doing this with my pass.
    This brings up another subject one that is frowned upon but if I ever decide to do another "premium" pass it will be by invitation only.. That way I can send it and not worry about approvals and the like and I will be confident that the pass will maintain its integrity throughout. I'm not fond of excluding people as there are so many brothers here who I still dont know and what a great way to get to know people than by a pass.. SO with that being said I will probably wont be doing a "premium" pass again. Glen is right about passes loosing their appeal or fun, unfortunately I think some lose their spirit of giving when involved in passes. I have considered my pass a success and I am still extremely greatful for all who participated.. Thank you all again.