Home Non Cigar Related

Thought for the Day

Comments

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    dbeckom:
    I haven't posted much lately, but I'd like to share my two cents on religion...

'Religion' is what's wrong with the world today. All manner of terrorists, dictators, and the like wage war on the free world, killing and repressing others with different 'religious' views and beliefs.

I am my no means 'religious'...I have FAITH that God sent His son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross for my sins and your sins! (even if you don't believe in God, God believes in you!)

Here's one of the best videos I've ever seen on the subject of 'religion'

Why I Hate Religion

Exactly, I couldn't of said it better myself. I gave up on religion a long time ago. What I do have as a Christian is a relationship with my heavenly Father much like the wonderful relationship I had with my earthly father while he was alive.

I agree with the OP to the extent that being hit on the head with the Bible and told you are going to eternal damnation if you do not accept Christ as your Savior can be and is a turn off. All I would ask is since I can honor the OP right to freely express themselves I would hope they in turn would show the same respect in wording future posts comparing what many believe in to a forced blow job or other bodily function.

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
    When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —

Three things will last forever- Faith,Hope, and Love- and the greatest of these is Love---1 Cor 13:13
    Thank God for the Spaghetti Monster,,,,I love a Spicy Meatballs!!!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    The Kid:
    IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
    When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —

Three things will last forever- Faith,Hope, and Love- and the greatest of these is Love---1 Cor 13:13
    Thank God for the Spaghetti Monster,,,,I love a Spicy Meatballs!!!

Perfect that's all that need be said on this matter. Of course I would like to see the debate push forward. I've learned A fair amount on this thread. Mostly about human nature. This thread should be the one where everybody speaks up.
    Even though there has been much debate about the opening comment, this is A great topic for A thread and I for one would like to see it go forward as there is much to be learned from spirited debate when good manners and adult conduct are used to discuss A subject.

Smoke=Fire

This is your creation. Have you any words of wisdom for today?
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:
    But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views.

Constantly bombarded? Really? Do tell. As an atheist, I won't even say I'm constantly bombarded with theist views. They are a bit too prevalent for my taste, but I'm not about to complain about it. IMO, if the flying spaghetti monster helps you be happy, cope with pain, sleep at night, etc., then by all means believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If he tells you to be a good person and you do that, even better. However, when he causes you to interfere with the lives of others in any way, that's a violation of those people's pursuit of happiness, another constitutional right, and I believe the one that trumps them all. Freedom should essentially boil down to the ability to pursue your own happiness, but never at the expense of another person's.
    First of all, Ken, calling God a flying spaghetti monster is an obvious insult to anyone who believes in a god. You lost most of the folks right there.
    Secondly, exactly how did you learn to become a good person? Who taught you morals? And where did these morals come from, the government?
    beatnic:
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:
    But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views.

Constantly bombarded? Really? Do tell. As an atheist, I won't even say I'm constantly bombarded with theist views. They are a bit too prevalent for my taste, but I'm not about to complain about it. IMO, if the flying spaghetti monster helps you be happy, cope with pain, sleep at night, etc., then by all means believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If he tells you to be a good person and you do that, even better. However, when he causes you to interfere with the lives of others in any way, that's a violation of those people's pursuit of happiness, another constitutional right, and I believe the one that trumps them all. Freedom should essentially boil down to the ability to pursue your own happiness, but never at the expense of another person's.
    First of all, Ken, calling God a flying spaghetti monster is an obvious insult to anyone who believes in a god. You lost most of the folks right there.
    Secondly, exactly how did you learn to become a good person? Who taught you morals? And where did these morals come from, the government?

I didn't feel that this atrocity deserved an answer. By choosing the words he chose he pretty much ostracised himself. Beatnic don't let this one upset you. It's not worth the effort it took to write it.
    RBeckom:
    beatnic:
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:

I didn't feel that this atrocity deserved an answer. By choosing the words he chose he pretty much ostracised himself. Beatnic don't let this one upset you. It's not worth the effort it took to write it.

Even though I strongly disagree with what you stated, I believe in your right to state your point. That's what our rights guarantee each of us. Our freedoms. To believe as we choose. Name calling is just childish.
    RB. This is the kind of thread I like. I think there have been about 40 posts, and 350 views. That says something. Most people don't want to step in this stuff. Way too often we hear people say stuff like, can't we just get along and not challenge.
    I challenge. And I don't mind Ken stating his views, minus the ridicule. I love the debate. But spaghetti monster? How base and sophamoric is that? Fess up Ken.
    beatnic:
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:

I do believe in creation vs evolution and in biological determinism vs social constructionism. Although I do feel evolution and social construction are tangible. (So with that being said,,) In Ken's defense i dont think he called god a spaghetti monster and i took no offense to what he wrote..
    I have also enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this matter. I for one am proud to be who I am and will not hesitate to speak my mind on this matter. I would like nothing better than to keep this discussion going indefinitely. If more people would follow suit and stand up for they're beliefs, instead of bowing down to public opinion, our world would be much nicer and everyone could have A chance at true peace.
    The Kid:
    beatnic:
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:

I do believe in creation vs evolution and in biological determinism vs social constructionism. Although I do feel evolution and social construction are tangible. (So with that being said,,) In Ken's defense i dont think he called god a spaghetti monster and i took no offense to what he wrote..

I too took no offence at the words chosen. I do however disagree with the concept of ridiculing the head of ones Faith. As I stated I feel that name calling is and always will be childish behavior.
    I Thought of this thread when I looked upon this scene this morning. It's befitting I think. We live, we learn and then....... we die. Where will you go? I know where I'll be going!

RBeckom:
    I Thought of this thread when I looked upon this scene this morning. It's befitting I think. We live, we learn and then....... we die. Where will you go? I know where I'll be going!

One last thought if I may. Since my last post I've been thinking. Faith is serene. Knowing versus not knowing. I cannot even begin to contemplate a life without Faith. It is A truly Religious experience. A play on words? Perhaps but it's the way I choose to live my life. I'm happy. I'm contented. I'm religious. And I'm not embarrassed nor ashamed to say it.
    I may be wrong but what I really think Ken was trying to say is no matter what one believes in and or worships , whether it be the Sun, a Tree, a Cow or a flying spaghetti monster then thats up to the said individual and he should be free to think and choose his own god/beliefs whatever they may be...at least thats the way I took it
    The Kid:
    I may be wrong but what I really think Ken was trying to say is no matter what one believes in and or worships , whether it be the Sun, a Tree, a Cow or a flying spaghetti monster then thats up to the said individual and he should be free to think and choose his own god/beliefs whatever they may be...at least thats the way I took it

As I agree. Without the disrespect of name calling it would have been A valid point.

I harbor no ill will towards him.
    I agree, Ken can profess his faith any way he wants to, but to turn and ridicule another is wrong. And yes, atheism is a "faith".
    RB, my message to you still stands. Lots of folks read this stuff and are reluctant to speak their minds on the subject. Most are afraid of the ridicule. I'm not.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    The Kid:
    That's the way I took it too. I myself am an atheist. I would never take it upon myself to call someone wrong for their beliefs . My disbelief comes from the part about an omnipotent presence creating everything. Was there a man named Jesus? I believe there was . My biggest problem is with interpretation. The bible has gone through more revisions and versions than we will ever possibly know. I don't think that anyone here is a bad person, I've seen everyone of you jump at the chance to help a brother out as have I. If you believe in God,the sun, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (that really is a religion) its your actions as a person that I'm gonna judge you on.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Wow, guys. Google the flying spaghetti monster. As far as I'm concerned/know, It's pretty much a standard straw man to stand in instead of "insert god here" so that one doesn't have to pick on a particular diety or faith. That's how I meant it. As for FSM as a real religion, I think it's only done ironically, but I apologize to any who have been touched by His Noodly Appendage if you're serious about it.
    Ken Light:
    Wow, guys. Google the flying spaghetti monster. As far as I'm concerned/know, It's pretty much a standard straw man to stand in instead of "insert god here" so that one doesn't have to pick on a particular diety or faith. That's how I meant it. As for FSM as a real religion, I think it's only done ironically, but I apologize to any who have been touched by His Noodly Appendage if you're serious about it.
    On re-reading my original post, I'd like to apologize for confusingly using the term "you" when I probably should have used the term "one." I was using it colloquially, so it meant "any person," not any individual or any religious person in particular.
    Ken Light:
    Ken Light:
    On re-reading my original post, I'd like to apologize for confusingly using the term "you" when I probably should have used the term "one." I was using it colloquially, so it meant "any person," not any individual or any religious person in particular.

We all have the right to our opinions and the right to state them freely. Your opinion was stated however with ridicule in mind. I personally try not to make what i write personal in any way while still trying to get my point across. Did you cross A line? I think not. Were you close. Absolutely. But that is what this thread is about, trying to get our points across with the up most respect for all participants without offending anyone. I'm cool with what you have to say although I don't fully agree with it. Notice I said I don't fully agree. There's some truth in what you said but FSM? Come on. Look at it through someone else's eyes. It isn't cool brother. Lets keep it civil so everyone can take A little knowledge home from this one.
    "His Noodly Appendage" ?? Come on Ken. jab, jab? You mock.

Is that the best you have?

beatnic:
    RB, my message to you still stands. Lots of folks read this stuff and are reluctant to speak their minds on the subject. Most are afraid of the ridicule. I'm not.

The wrath of the righteous can be A terrible sight to behold so it's up to us to restrain ourselves as long as possible. The views of others sometimes will temp us to unleash but remember that as Christians were advised to turn the other cheek. Have Faith and we as believers will prevail. What we need in this country is more followers with enough intestinal fortitude to stand up and proclaim we are not ashamed to speak the Gospel. Is it not our duty to educate and set A good example for the masses? March on brother I've got your back.
    RBeckom:
    beatnic:

The wrath of the righteous can be A terrible sight to behold so it's up to us to restrain ourselves as long as possible. The views of others sometimes will temp us to unleash but remember that as Christians were advised to turn the other cheek. Have Faith and we as believers will prevail. What we need in this country is more followers with enough intestinal fortitude to stand up and proclaim we are not ashamed to speak the Gospel. Is it not our duty to educate and set A good example for the masses? March on brother I've got your back.
    I'm not a Gospel quoter. I don't even mention any particular religion. I was raised to be a Christian, and in my heart that means to walk and act "Christlike". Does anyone have a problem with that? I think not. What troubles me is that some are loathe to think this is undesirable? Holy Canoli
    Someone says "god bless you" when you sneeze and you get a retort of "quit pushing your religion on me"? Insane. Most people whom I have met, who claim to be atheist, are some of the most moral and friendliest people know. Yet to a man, their position is born out of an anger towards a certain church for some reason. It was never a principle tenet of their life previously. They are all spiritual and loving people, but chose not to share it in a community manner, for what ever reason. I was raised by the evil Catholic Church (hehe), and still attend functions occasionally. But to me, this is my expression to my community that I hold the same values that they do. And that is truly what a religion is all about, a gathering of people of like values. I don't necessarily agree with the hierarchal decrees of this institution, and am totally against some, but I have been positively influenced by the spiritual education that I have received from them.
    This is the church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Touched by His Noodly Appendage, a parody of The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, is an iconic image of the Flying Spaghetti MonsterThe Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the deity of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Pastafarianism, a parody religion.[1][2] The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" first appeared in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005, protesting the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to permit the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.[3] In the letter, Henderson parodied the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs. Henderson further called for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism to be allotted equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution.[4] After Henderson published the letter on his website, it rapidly became an Internet phenomenon and a symbol for the case against teaching intelligent design in public schools.[5] Pastafarian "beliefs" are generally satires of creationism. They are presented both on Henderson's Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website, where he is described as "prophet", and in The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, written by Henderson and published by Villiard Press in 2006. The central belief is that an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. Pirates are revered as the original Pastafarians (a portmanteau of pasta and Rastafarian),Devil [6] and Henderson asserts that the steady decline in the number of pirates over the years has resulted in global warming.[4] The FSM community currently congregates at Henderson's website to share ideas and crafts devoted to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Due to its popularity and exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot – an argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them. While generally praised by the media and endorsed by members of the scientific community, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has received criticism from proponents of the creationist "intelligent design" philosophy. Self-described Pastafarians have engaged in religious disputes, including in Polk County, Florida, where they played a role in dissuading the local school board from adopting new rules on teaching evolution.[7]

It is nothing more than A parody scheme to be used as A tool to take up valuable time that could be spent teaching the truth such as Creation AND Evolution. Another bogus attempt to confuse and control the young minds of our children.
    RBeckom:

Touched by His Noodly Appendage, a parody of The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, is an iconic image of the Flying Spaghetti MonsterThe Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the deity of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Pastafarianism, a parody religion.[1][2] The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" first appeared in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005, protesting the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to permit the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.[3] In the letter, Henderson parodied the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs. Henderson further called for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism to be allotted equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution.[4] After Henderson published the letter on his website, it rapidly became an Internet phenomenon and a symbol for the case against teaching intelligent design in public schools.[5] Pastafarian "beliefs" are generally satires of creationism. They are presented both on Henderson's Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website, where he is described as "prophet", and in The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, written by Henderson and published by Villiard Press in 2006. The central belief is that an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. Pirates are revered as the original Pastafarians (a portmanteau of pasta and Rastafarian),Devil [6] and Henderson asserts that the steady decline in the number of pirates over the years has resulted in global warming.[4] The FSM community currently congregates at Henderson's website to share ideas and crafts devoted to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Due to its popularity and exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot – an argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them. While generally praised by the media and endorsed by members of the scientific community, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has received criticism from proponents of the creationist "intelligent design" philosophy. Self-described Pastafarians have engaged in religious disputes, including in Polk County, Florida, where they played a role in dissuading the local school board from adopting new rules on teaching evolution.[7]

It is nothing more than A parody scheme to be used as A tool to take up valuable time that could be spent teaching the truth such as Creation AND Evolution. Another bogus attempt to confuse and control the young minds of our children.

ROTFLMAO. I may have given Ken a bit more latitude knowing this story ahead of time. Spaghetti Monster was alien to me. I thought it was his idea. LOL. This is precious. I'm totally amused . Yet, I concerned for the mind that came up with it.
    Pastafarianism, LMFAO
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Hmmmm! I'm Italian. I love pasta. I love people. I love cigars. Gawrsh, maybe I are a pastafarian.
    The Kid:
    Pastafarianism, LMFAO
    LMAO
    beatnic:
    RBeckom:

ROTFLMAO. I may have given Ken a bit more latitude knowing this story ahead of time. Spaghetti Monster was alien to me. I thought it was his idea. LOL. This is precious. I'm totally amused . Yet, I concerned for the mind that came up with it.
    This is why I said Google it. At this point I give up. If you guys can see nothing but persecution and mocking I can't help you, because apparently you're looking for it and finding it where it doesn't exist. I apologized for what I thought made you think I had any ill intent, and you took it as more mocking, so at this point my head hurts and I'm just going to stop.