Home Non Cigar Related

Thought for the Day

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Ok, one last. "The Spaghetti Monster was ALIEN to me." (emphasis added). Nice one. ;D
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Ken Light:
    beatnic:
    RBeckom:
    This is the church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Touched by His Noodly Appendage, a parody of The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, is an iconic image of the Flying Spaghetti MonsterThe Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the deity of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Pastafarianism, a parody religion.[1][2] The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" first appeared in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005, protesting the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to permit the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.[3] In the letter, Henderson parodied the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs. Henderson further called for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism to be allotted equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution.[4] After Henderson published the letter on his website, it rapidly became an Internet phenomenon and a symbol for the case against teaching intelligent design in public schools.[5] Pastafarian "beliefs" are generally satires of creationism. They are presented both on Henderson's Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website, where he is described as "prophet", and in The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, written by Henderson and published by Villiard Press in 2006. The central belief is that an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. Pirates are revered as the original Pastafarians (a portmanteau of pasta and Rastafarian),Devil [6] and Henderson asserts that the steady decline in the number of pirates over the years has resulted in global warming.[4] The FSM community currently congregates at Henderson's website to share ideas and crafts devoted to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Due to its popularity and exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot – an argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them. While generally praised by the media and endorsed by members of the scientific community, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has received criticism from proponents of the creationist "intelligent design" philosophy. Self-described Pastafarians have engaged in religious disputes, including in Polk County, Florida, where they played a role in dissuading the local school board from adopting new rules on teaching evolution.[7]

It is nothing more than A parody scheme to be used as A tool to take up valuable time that could be spent teaching the truth such as Creation AND Evolution. Another bogus attempt to confuse and control the young minds of our children.

ROTFLMAO. I may have given Ken a bit more latitude knowing this story ahead of time. Spaghetti Monster was alien to me. I thought it was his idea. LOL. This is precious. I'm totally amused . Yet, I concerned for the mind that came up with it.
    This is why I said Google it. At this point I give up. If you guys can see nothing but persecution and mocking I can't help you, because apparently you're looking for it and finding it where it doesn't exist. I apologized for what I thought made you think I had any ill intent, and you took it as more mocking, so at this point my head hurts and I'm just going to stop.

I posted this as A way of saying that I now understand where the FSM came from and not as an argument to make A point. It's my way of saying that I miss understood the point you were trying to make. This is not to say that I agree with what was posted but as I stated I'll defend your right to speak your mind. Besides it was A rather amusing read.
    I have some extra aspirin if you need it for your headache.
    :-)
    I feel that A good thought for the day is:

Read what is posted well before commenting on it. Sometimes there's something good that may be mask by extra words. And yes I'm referring to what Ken Light posted. Sorry for the misunderstanding brother.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Thought for today - I wonder how many of the elderly folks who are having trouble with utility , medicine , and food bills that attend a certain church or how many of the people who depended on a certain churchs food pantry for basic food necessitys that has now been discontinued for a " lack of funds/donations " feel about said churchs pastor accepting a trip to Hawaii paid for by a church member , said pastor now being in Hawaii relaxing on a beach , wonder how those folks feel about THAT . I actually know how some of them feel and it ain't purty .

Wonder what God's take on that would be ? What would Jesus do ? I'm no expert on the bible ( as it is now presented / accepted ) but I can't recall anything about Jesus' true followers bit_chin and harpin about needing a vacation .

And before anybody jumps my bones about preachers are people too and need rest and relaxation , etc etc so they can lead their church , this particular pastor has already been on a cruise THIS YEAR paid for by the church and averages 2- 3 cruises per year plus some other jaunts yearly . He's more rested than anybody else I know .

Getting back to the food pantry deal - one of the reasons they discussed stopping it before the claim of not enough funds or donations was because several familys with children who regularly got food from them were not members and although the church "counciled (sp) them , they still did not attend the church or become members . So it appears their version of "christianity " was based on you do what I want you to do or you can do without , children and adults alike . I'm sure glad Jesus didn't have this attitude !

Now, its obviously his church ( evidently not the Lords ) and he can do what he pleases and see's fit and I'm sure he will continue to do so - but I would like to be a witness to the conversation between said pastor and God about what it was like to be warm and fully fed in Hawaii when members of his flock were not as fortunate .

If a man cannot help/lookout for his purported "family", church or otherwise how will he be greeted by the ultimate " caretaker " when the time comes ??? Rant Over !!!

I'm sure I'll be viewed as an azzhat to some for posting this but if thats the case , so be it . I'll take my chances on my conversation with my God for this post versus said pastors discussion with his over his indifference to elderly and broke members of his churchs people and his decision to spend funds on a Hawaii vacation instead of food/necessitys to make life better for people he portends to care about physically and spiritually --- NOW MY RANT IS OVER !!!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    gmill,

First off I think this is relevant to your point:
    pope

Secondly, if I was part of a church (or any group) that did something like this, I would certainly consider leaving that church and stopping any further donations to them.
    I don't understand how they could cancel a food pantry for "lack of funds" but continue to let the pastor go on church-paid vacations. It seems like this pastor/church do not have their priorities straight because I'm sure they could have found other areas of the budget to cut or reduce and still have enough $$ to run the food pantry for the folks who need it.
    As far as the food pantry recipients' faith, I do not see why that should matter and if the church did in fact cancel it since there was a lack of Christians using the pantry, that's just wrong. A hungry person is a hungry person and if an organization (church or otherwise) sets up a food pantry for "those in need" then they should not discriminate.

Unfortunately though, this is not a one time case of a church/charity group misusing funds - there are plenty of "charity" organizations out there who waste money on operating costs and spend more on salaries/employee benefits/fundraising campaigns than what they end up using towards their mission of helping others.
    A quick google search brought up this list of 10 Charities Overpaying their For-Profit Fundraisers CLICK. Which leads me to my final thought - regardless of the organization, church/charity/etc. if you're going to donate $$ it's always worth checking out the organization beforehand to see how they're spending their funds.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 682
    The Kid:
    I may be wrong but what I really think Ken was trying to say is no matter what one believes in and or worships , whether it be the Sun, a Tree, a Cow or a flying spaghetti monster then thats up to the said individual and he should be free to think and choose his own god/beliefs whatever they may be...at least thats the way I took it
    That is exactly how I read that post.

Any one person can view the beliefs of another as either ridiculous, invalid, or anathema; that is their prerogative. I honestly feel that the reason there are so many differing faiths in the world is because each one of us is, in their own way, trying to reach out and touch the hand of the mystery; we only call it by different names, because we see the world though our own eyes.

Where we all too often as people run into conflict with others about religions is where we fail to respect another views or beliefs, but expect that same courtesy to be applied to our own; not only that, but sometimes validate OUR beliefs. Although I am sure it was offered tongue in cheek, I'll use Ken's example; his "Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM)" may be just as valid in his eyes, as is Jesus Christ or Allah may be in yours.

What we need to depart from as people is what I can only term as "tribal" conflict that always degenerates into a "My God can beat up your God" discussion. What needs to happen on a larger scale is what is happening on this smaller scale of our forum; open, honest discourse about our INDIVIDUAL beliefs (even though possibly shared by others), and mutual respect for something that is so intrinsically personal and important to ALL people. When I can respect the FSM as valid FOR THAT PERSON, than I might find others willing to accept and respect my views as to my personal deity of choice. ;)

That being said...to all; my apologies. I meant my OP as a joke, but really should have not been so juvenile as to expect that something as personal as faith would be received well by those who actually practice theirs, and take it seriously. :)
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire

This is your creation. Have you any words of wisdom for today?
    *points up one post* How's that? :D
    Smoke=Fire:
    The Kid:
    I may be wrong but what I really think Ken was trying to say is no matter what one believes in and or worships , whether it be the Sun, a Tree, a Cow or a flying spaghetti monster then thats up to the said individual and he should be free to think and choose his own god/beliefs whatever they may be...at least thats the way I took it
    That is exactly how I read that post.

Any one person can view the beliefs of another as either ridiculous, invalid, or anathema; that is their prerogative. I honestly feel that the reason there are so many differing faiths in the world is because each one of us is, in their own way, trying to reach out and touch the hand of the mystery; we only call it by different names, because we see the world though our own eyes.

Where we all too often as people run into conflict with others about religions is where we fail to respect another views or beliefs, but expect that same courtesy to be applied to our own; not only that, but sometimes validate OUR beliefs. Although I am sure it was offered tongue in cheek, I'll use Ken's example; his "Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM)" may be just as valid in his eyes, as is Jesus Christ or Allah may be in yours.

what I can only term as "tribal" conflict that always degenerates into a "My God can beat up your God" discussion. What needs to happen on a larger scale is what is happening on this smaller scale of our forum; open, honest discourse about our INDIVIDUAL beliefs (even though possibly shared by others), and mutual respect for something that is so intrinsically personal and important to ALL people. When I can respect the FSM as valid FOR THAT PERSON, than I might find others willing to accept and respect my views as to my personal deity of choice. ;)

That being said...to all; my apologies. I meant my OP as a joke, but really should have not been so juvenile as to expect that something as personal as faith would be received well by those who actually practice theirs, and take it seriously. :)

I for one am glad you posted it. We've had some good discussion and each of us has learned A fair amount about human nature. I actually enjoy learning something new every day and this was A perfect way to learn about the FSM. With out this posting I would be totally ignorant of the fact it even exist.
    gmill880:
    Thought for today - I wonder how many of the elderly folks who are having trouble with utility , medicine , and food bills that attend a certain church or how many of the people who depended on a certain churchs food pantry for basic food necessitys that has now been discontinued for a " lack of funds/donations " feel about said churchs pastor accepting a trip to Hawaii paid for by a church member , said pastor now being in Hawaii relaxing on a beach , wonder how those folks feel about THAT . I actually know how some of them feel and it ain't purty .

Wonder what God's take on that would be ? What would Jesus do ? I'm no expert on the bible ( as it is now presented / accepted ) but I can't recall anything about Jesus' true followers bit_chin and harpin about needing a vacation .

And before anybody jumps my bones about preachers are people too and need rest and relaxation , etc etc so they can lead their church , this particular pastor has already been on a cruise THIS YEAR paid for by the church and averages 2- 3 cruises per year plus some other jaunts yearly . He's more Cested than anybody else I know .

Getting back to the food pantry deal - one of the reasons they discussed stopping it before the claim of not enough funds or donations was because several familys with children who regularly got food from them were not members and although the church "counciled (sp) them , they still did not attend the church or become members . So it appears their version of "christianity " was based on you do what I want you to do or you can do without , children and adults alike . I'm sure glad Jesus didn't have this attitude !

Now, its obviously his church ( evidently not the Lords ) and he can do what he pleases and see's fit and I'm sure he will continue to do so - but I would like to be a witness to the conversation between said pastor and God about what it was like to be warm and fully fed in Hawaii when members of his flock were not as fortunate .

If a man cannot help/lookout for his purported "family", church or otherwise how will he be greeted by the ultimate " caretaker " when the time comes ??? Rant Over !!!

I'm sure I'll be viewed as an azzhat to some for posting this but if thats the case , so be it . I'll take my chances on my conversation with my God for this post versus said pastors discussion with his over his indifference to elderly and broke members of his churchs people and his decision to spend funds on a Hawaii vacation instead of food/necessitys to make life better for people he portends to care about physically and spiritually --- NOW MY RANT IS OVER !!!

No man that has been Called to preach would even think of taking A vacation off of the tidings from A church. Your right to be angered by such behaviour as this. It is unbecoming of A man, notice I did NOT say preacher, and bodes badly for A church who's members would allow such as this to go on while turning away anyone in need. Only the buildings belong to man. The Souls belong to God. I too would like to see the conversation between this man and God.
    Rbeckom and jgibv these are my sentiments exactly - just really angers me , I think you guys said it better than me !
    gmill880:
    Rbeckom and jgibv these are my sentiments exactly - just really angers me , I think you guys said it better than me !

I glad you brought this topic to our attention. It might be that I'll do A little research on the subject and send some personal thoughts on the matter to the above mentioned.
    RBeckom:
    No man that has been Called to preach would even think of taking A vacation off of the tidings from A church. Your right to be angered by such behaviour as this. It is unbecoming of A man, notice I did NOT say preacher, and bodes badly for A church who's members would allow such as this to go on while turning away anyone in need. Only the buildings belong to man. The Souls belong to God. I too would like to see the conversation between this man and God.
    Good distinction, brother. It doesn't matter if it's a religious man or not, this is irresponsible & immature behavior for someone who leads a "charity" type organization.
    I would be equally upset if I found out that the head of our local animal shelter was going on paid-vacations but was turning away stray animals because he didn't have the funds to feed them. I think both examples allow for anger and frustration towards the "man in charge" and show just how immoral and greedy some people can be.

But back to your example though, gmill - the members of the church have every right to be upset and I hope this pastor soon changes his ways and if not I hope they get rid of him and find someone more level-headed to lead their congregation.

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:
    But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views.

Constantly bombarded? Really? Do tell. As an atheist, I won't even say I'm constantly bombarded with theist views. They are a bit too prevalent for my taste, but I'm not about to complain about it. IMO, if the flying spaghetti monster helps you be happy, cope with pain, sleep at night, etc., then by all means believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If he tells you to be a good person and you do that, even better. However, when he causes you to interfere with the lives of others in any way, that's a violation of those people's pursuit of happiness, another constitutional right, and I believe the one that trumps them all. Freedom should essentially boil down to the ability to pursue your own happiness, but never at the expense of another person's.
    I'm with you one 100% Ken!!! You've taken some heat over the last couple pages for this post but I just want to let you know you're not the only one who feels this way!!!
    clearlysuspect:
    Ken Light:
    RBeckom:
    But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views.

Constantly bombarded? Really? Do tell. As an atheist, I won't even say I'm constantly bombarded with theist views. They are a bit too prevalent for my taste, but I'm not about to complain about it. IMO, if the flying spaghetti monster helps you be happy, cope with pain, sleep at night, etc., then by all means believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If he tells you to be a good person and you do that, even better. However, when he causes you to interfere with the lives of others in any way, that's a violation of those people's pursuit of happiness, another constitutional right, and I believe the one that trumps them all. Freedom should essentially boil down to the ability to pursue your own happiness, but never at the expense of another person's.
    I'm with you one 100% Ken!!! You've taken some heat over the last couple pages for this post but I just want to let you know you're not the only one who feels this way!!!

:-(

Everyone has A view on life and each of us has to find our own place in the world.The only reason I have A argument with this post at all is the word you after the word helps. That one word made it personal to all who read it. I may disagree with some one's view but I would never make it personal. We all have to be careful on our choice of words or misunderstandings like this are likely to happen. I for one have no problem with Ken even though we disagree on religion. We both have the right to our opinions. Besides without spirited debate this would be A less interesting forum.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Ken Light:
    Ken Light:
    Wow, guys. Google the flying spaghetti monster. As far as I'm concerned/know, It's pretty much a standard straw man to stand in instead of "insert god here" so that one doesn't have to pick on a particular diety or faith. That's how I meant it. As for FSM as a real religion, I think it's only done ironically, but I apologize to any who have been touched by His Noodly Appendage if you're serious about it.
    On re-reading my original post, I'd like to apologize for confusingly using the term "you" when I probably should have used the term "one." I was using it colloquially, so it meant "any person," not any individual or any religious person in particular.
    I'm assuming you mean I used the word "you" but as you can now see, I already apologized for using that word in an unclear manner, and stated that I didn't mean it to make it personal or single any one person out.
    Ken Light:
    Ken Light:
    Ken Light:
    Wow, guys. Google the flying spaghetti monster. As far as I'm concerned/know, It's pretty much a standard straw man to stand in instead of "insert god here" so that one doesn't have to pick on a particular diety or faith. That's how I meant it. As for FSM as a real religion, I think it's only done ironically, but I apologize to any who have been touched by His Noodly Appendage if you're serious about it.
    On re-reading my original post, I'd like to apologize for confusingly using the term "you" when I probably should have used the term "one." I was using it colloquially, so it meant "any person," not any individual or any religious person in particular.
    I'm assuming you mean I used the word "you" but as you can now see, I already apologized for using that word in an unclear manner, and stated that I didn't mean it to make it personal or single any one person out.

I wasn't criticizing, I was just giving the reason why I disagreed in the first place. A lot was said on the subject and I wanted to make it clear to everyone who reads this discussion that A misunderstanding, of which I'm guilty, was the cause of so much debate. I'm taking responsibility on this one for not understanding the point you were trying to make.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
    But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, 1927
    beatnic:
    Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

Max Ehrmann, 1927

beatnic thanks for posting this . What a great philosophy to live by . Thats great .
    beatnic:
    Desiderata

Max Ehrmann, 1927

Perfection.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I bet there's more people who know what is in there brackets than what they paid in taxes last year.
    TftD

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    beatnic:
    Desiderata

Max Ehrmann, 1927
    Wow. I've never seen that before. Copied and saved so I can read it often. Thanks for posting.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Smoke=Fire:
    TftD

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    Three cheers to that.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    j0z3r:
    Smoke=Fire:
    TftD

Three cheers to that.
    Corollary: If it is really true that you learn from your mistakes...

I must be a genius by now.
    TftD

If you think you're a person of some influence...try ordering someone else's dog around.
    Smoke=Fire:
    TftD

If you think you're a person of some influence...try ordering someone else's dog around.
    lol so true...dog's could care less how "influential" you are.
    If that dog doesn't see you everyday, good luck getting it to listen to you.
    Say something nice to A complete stranger. A smile will be your reward. Spread some goodwill today. Surely it will be repaid sevenfold.
    I bought my ex a chair but the state won't let me plug it in !!!