Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Your welcome Rudy. Sometime we miss some elements when we smoke a cigar the first time. It is always a good idea to smoke at lest 2-3 cigars before we determine our like or dislike of a cigar. Please share you opinion when you smoke the second. I am really curious.
    The Kid:
    Thanks for the review
    Tried this very stick little over a year ago, was underwhelmed and didnt think it warranted the price tag. May give it another shot as I only tried the one.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I agree, Plus my palate has evolved since last time I tried it, so your review has definately inspired me to give one another go.

Cohiba Pyramid Extra is an addition to the Linea Clasica of Cohiba. This vitola includes a new Cohiba band with innovative design and security elements. Cohiba has 4 different Lines: The Línea Clásica, composed of 6 vitolas developed between 1966 and 1989. The Línea 1492 was launched in 1992 to commemorate the 5th Centenary of Christopher Columbus's arrival on the island. The Maduro 5 line was introduced in 2007 with 3 new vitolas. In 2010 Cohiba Behike, the most exclusive Cohiba line, was introduced.

The introduction of Cohiba Pirámides Extra is designed to complete the range within the Línea Clásica, the first line created in the Cohiba brand. Pirámides Extra introduces the characteristic Línea Clásica´s medium to full flavor, produced as Totalmente a mano Tripa larga- totally handmade with long filler-, using the "selection of the selection" from the best tobacco plantations in San Juan y Martínez* (D.O.P.) and San Luis* (D.O.P.), in the Vuelta Abajo* zone (D.O.P.) within the Pinar del Río region* (D.O.P.) in Cuba. Made with the Línea Clásica blend, compriseng Volado, Seco and Ligero, these two last types of leaves have had the additional fermentation which is unique of Cohiba.
    Photobucket
    Although in the past various figurados- cigars tapered at one end- , such as the Pirámides vitola, have been created for specific occasions in limited numbers, such as the Reserva del Milenio and the Edición Limitada 2001 and 2006, Pirámides Extra is the first figurado that will become a part of the permanent Cohiba collection, as a part of the Línea Clásica. The factory name Pirámides Extra (ring gauge 54 X 6 1/5 in length) will be produced exclusively in Cohiba. This vitola will allow the complete essence Cohiba Línea Clasíca´s unique flavor to be enjoyed in a format that lends itself to special occasions due to its magnificent size.[Source: Casa del Habano]
    Photobucket
    It is a big cigar and feels heavy in hand. The wrapper is golden brown, smooth, very soft with silky feeling. It has the aroma of hay, wood and sweet honey kind of touch to the foot. The cold draw is perfect with a hint cocoa power and white peppery aroma. There is no soft spot. The flavor and aroma profile is the combination of grass, wood earth, cocoa, cream, mild wet leather, mocha, milk chocolate, black-white(50:50) spicy and peppery finish through the nose, hints of honey sweetness, signature Cuban fruity-floral notes but medium with distinctive hints of light caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg notes at the back. It is extremely rich, medium to full in strength but with long finish. The draw and burn is perfect. The cigar comes in a simple wooden box with ten cigars.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Filler: Cuba
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with a kick of earthy, grassy, wet leather, dry wood flavors with a hint of sweet cocoa powder aroma at the back. It also has the mild young tobacco harshness at the back. Within few puffs the smoke is creamier in texture. I am also getting some subtle tea aroma which I always love in a cigar. The tea aroma has a crispy, grassy and aromatic floral background which reminds me of the first flush Darjeeling tea (the first pick of the year before the rain). This is truly awesome and very classic in my standard. I believe I got this kind of tea aroma in La Palnia 1896. The smoke also has a distinctive nutmeg finish with a honey like creamy sweetness to it. The strength is medium but the layers and layers of flavors and aroma with so many different background aroma and notes make this cigar quiet exceptional at this stage. Few cigars can start with such a rich complexity - wow! The retrohale is straight white: black (50:50) peppery through the nose. The best part of the cigar at this stage is the multi-layers of background aroma and notes at the back. I have to say that the cigar is burning little fast at this stage.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage, the cigar is turning into a different direction with more flavors and aroma though the 1/3 earthy, woodiness is there but it is slowly taken over with cocoa, mocha, milk chocolate flavors. The smoke is very creamy with a subtle touch of light caramel sweetness. Though it is creamy in texture but it is not mouthful or thick. I can tell that this cigar has very limited amount of ligeros. The black:white peppery spiciness through the nose to really very enjoyable and doesn't dominate or distract the moment. The strength is still medium and the retrohale through the nose is simply amazing. The signature Cuban aromatic fruity-floral notes are not very striking like Cohiba Siglo VI, 1966 but still clearly noticeable. This is little different than any other regular Cohiba cigar line. The top of my tongue has a subtle and delicate zing of black-white pepper, the middle of my tongue feels the creamy texture but not mouthful, the back of my tongue has a slight harshness but it doesn't hamper the smoking experience. This cigar is extremely complex at this stage with long finish. My mouth doesn't have the tingly feeling yet but I can feel a thin layer of peppery spiciness. The medium strength is allowing me to really enjoy the layers and layers of multi-dimensional flavors and aroma. I love this cigar.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: It is getting to fuller body at this stage which push the earthy and woodiness flavors back. The mocha flavor is still dominating with a touch of cinnamon at the back. The aromatic cinnamon is an additional flavor here not as an aroma. This is where the cigar gets another point in complexity of flavor. At this stage with upward body the signature Cuban aromatic fruity-floral aroma also becoming more upfront. There is also a new nutty (creamy cashew nut) element at the back. At the same time, the texture is more round. I can feel the tingly feeling around my mouth now with long finish. The only negative thing at this stage is the mild harshness at the back of my tongue. This is where the cigar is showing her young character. A little age will fix this easily but still a weaknesses. I am enjoying the retrohale very much because it is still 50:50 black-white peppery. At the middle of final/3, the cigar is proudly showing its complexity one more time with distinctive milk chocolate-caramel flavors with aromatic cinnamon note at the back. The creamy honey like sweetness is back as well as the full bodied strength. It is full bodied in strength but not bold at all. At the same time the strong aromatic fruity-flowery aroma at the back is always there. All I can say is wow!

Final thought: I smoked couple of this cigar during my trip in Cuba and did not hesitate to buy two boxes because I Immediately discovered the potential of this cigar. However, it still needs some rest to eliminate the mild harshness. It is important to mention that the mild harshness is not disturbing at all. I smoke a lot of aged cigars and that can be a reason why my taste buds cannot tolerate mild harshness. I always smoke cold water during my review to avoid any kind of influence over delicate flavors and aroma. With a little rum or whiskey this mild harshness won't be noticeable. This cigar has another weaknesses compares to some other top line Cuban cigars. It signature Cuban fruity- floral note is little weak compares with Limited Editions, 1966, Siglo VI or other top line Cuban cigars. The rich complexity, medium to full strength, long finish, balanced layers and layers of flavors, aroma, notes, back elements of this cigar simply makes it one of the best Cuban regular line releases in 2012. Without any hesitance I highly recommend this cigar.
    Photobucket
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Another great review. Thanks for sharing. You helped me make up my mind.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Great review rip, it's a great looking cigar, I hope one day I can try it, hopefully in a few months ;)
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    great reviews as always rip. look forward to the next one.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I'm happy to see that you regained your palate. Good review.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Hey Rip, thanks for the review of the Primer Mundo. Next time I go to Louisville, I intend to pick up some of these.
    rzaman:
    Your welcome Rudy. Sometime we miss some elements when we smoke a cigar the first time. It is always a good idea to smoke at lest 2-3 cigars before we determine our like or dislike of a cigar. Please share you opinion when you smoke the second. I am really curious.
    The Kid:
    Thanks for the review
    Tried this very stick little over a year ago, was underwhelmed and didnt think it warranted the price tag. May give it another shot as I only tried the one.
    Well, just tried another, this one was found in my humi and had a year on it.. This was a very good smoke, so much so I'm beginning to think my memory is failing me.. The first third really stood out and was very flavorfull,, Damnt rip now Im gonna have to get a couple more, purely for experimental reasons,,,,;o)
    P1010457
    Thanks Steve. If you compare the price vs value then Pyramid easily beat the 1966.
    Steve2010:
    Another great review. Thanks for sharing. You helped me make up my mind.
    Thanks Jesus for your kind words.
    big chunks:
    Great review rip, it's a great looking cigar, I hope one day I can try it, hopefully in a few months ;)
    Thanks Rick. It came back pretty well. In fact, I am enjoying cigars more than before LOL.
    beatnic:
    I'm happy to see that you regained your palate. Good review.
    David, your welcome. You will not be disappointed with this cigar.
    JDH:
    Hey Rip, thanks for the review of the Primer Mundo. Next time I go to Louisville, I intend to pick up some of these.
    Hi Rudy, I knew that you would enjoyed it the second time because it is a good cigar. We should always smoke 3-4 cigars to understand its performance. However, at the same time, there are also few cigar can wow us from the first puff but they are very rare. Thanks for sharing the picture.
    The Kid:
    rzaman:
    The Kid:
    Thanks for the review
    Well, just tried another, this one was found in my humi and had a year on it.. This was a very good smoke, so much so I'm beginning to think my memory is failing me.. The first third really stood out and was very flavorfull,, Damnt rip now Im gonna have to get a couple more, purely for experimental reasons,,,,;o)
    P1010457
    rzaman:
    Hi Rudy, I knew that you would enjoyed it the second time because it is a good cigar. We should always smoke 3-4 cigars to understand its performance. However, at the same time, there are also few cigar can wow us from the first puff but they are very rare. Thanks for sharing the picture.
    The Kid:
    rzaman:
    The Kid:
    Thanks for the review
    P1010457
    And there are some cigars that are just dogs. I guess it also comes down to $$ when some cigars are at a certain pricepoint I dont feel lthat it should warrant an expenditure of 3 or 4 to determine if its a keeper. But I do agree on trying more than one if possible. WIth that being said, after I read your review I was really excited about trying another.. I'm really wondering now if I tried a differnt blend. I dont take notes anymore (something I used to do) so I may have mistakenly presented my opinion. I'll try not to do that again especially if I only have one sampling under my belt. Thanks again for the review without which I wouldnt have focused on the cigar and now keeping an eye open for more.

San Cristóbal de la Habana was the original name of Havana, Cuba’s capital city, when it was founded in 1519; San Cristóbal (St Christopher) in honour of Columbus and La Habana after an Indian name for the site. San Cristóbal de la Habana cigars were introduced in 1999 as a tribute to the city’s long history on the threshold of the new Millennium. Its range is composed of four vitolas with a light to medium flavour using tobaccos from the Vuelta Abajo region. Each is named after one of the fortresses that defended the city in the days when it was the hub of Spain’s Latin American Empire. All are "totalmente a mano, tripa larga"—totally handmade, long filler and two sizes, El Morro and La Fuerza, are not found in any other Habano brand. Mercaderes, Oficios and Muralla are vitolas available in exclusive at La Casa del Habano. Casa Del Habano has three speciality and niche Brands- Trinidad, Cuaba and San Cristobal De La Habana. They have added in CDH’s portfolio in 2004.[Source: CDH]
    Photobucket
    This is from 2006 release and got full six years of age in it. I collected a full box during my Cuba trip. The cigar is almost like a Churchill size. The wrapper is copper brown, smooth with few visible veins here and there. It has no soft spots and has the good feel of holding a Churchill shape in hand. The wrapper has barnyard, hay, dry wood scents. The Pre-draw has strong cocoa powder, sweet hay, bit of spice and a slight floral hint at the back. The cold draw is perfect not so tight or loose. Majority Cuban cigar lovers undermine SCDLH cigar. However, I love it for its distinctive peanut, coffee flavors, aged sweetness and strong aromatic floral notes. It is an extremely complex, rich, round cigar with long finish. It has all the good elements of a top quality Habano. The flavor profile is the combination of damp-sweet earth, sweet hay, wood(oak), cocoa, toasted nut(peanut), cream, cinnamon, coffee, milk chocolate, biscuits-cookie, mochachino(Cappachino + milk chocolate) flavors with tons of clear, crisp notes of Cuban signature aromatic fruity- floral Aroma, citrus, orange, nutmeg, cloves hints from the start to finish. It has a wonderful caramel-molasses-brown sugary aged sweetness from the start to finish. The retrohale has an amazing delicate black peppery spiciness through the nose. There is no sign of harshness at all- this is a perfect example of a properly aged Habano cigar. The draw and burn is perfect. It is straight medium bodied but gets full at the final/3 stage cigar. This is one of my top ten Habano cigars.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Filler: Cuba
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with strong aromatic floral aroma with damp-sweet earth, sweet hay, oak, cocoa, toasted peanut, cream, milk chocolate flavors. The finish has a clear and strong caramel-brown sugary sweetness. There is also a super milk sweet leathery hint at the back without any harshness. The cigar woke me up from the first puff. The smoothness immediately invited me to retrohale and I am getting many background notes and hints. This is simply a gorgeous and welcoming smoke. It declars its superior taste from the start. The top of my tongue has a mild touch of delicate black pepper spiciness; the middle of my tongue is full of cream, butter, round and mouthful texture with above flavors, aroma and back notes. The back of my tongue is completely clean. It is super rich, complex with long finish. I can feel the aromatic flavors and aroma with a mild tingly feel in my mouth. The strength is straight medium. The retrohale gives a nice delicate black peppery spicy kick through the nose. This is a wonderful 95 points start. How many cigars can start like this?
    Photobucket
    2/3: Going towards the 2/3, the creamy nuttiness is dominating the texture with 1/3 flavors and aroma but I can also feel milk chocolate, coffee(cappuccino), biscuits-cookies, aromatic cinnamon flavors are coming forward with a hints of clove at the back. The retrohale has the delicate black peppery spiciness but also added a layer of sweet creaminess. There is also a mild but crispy citrus, orange and tangy hints at the back. It is an ever-changing, complex and flavorful smoke with loooong finish. The tingly feeling is getting more intense in my mouth. The smoke is very smooth but at the same time very sharp, crispy and clean. This cigar deserves another point here for complexity. Interestingly the cigar loss some strength but the flavors and aromas are there which is even more enjoyable to detect further complex back notes. This is the reason why a good cigar should be less in strength because it allows us to retrohale and enjoy the layers and layers of back ground notes. In this case, I am detecting more aromatic fruity-floral signature Cuban notes with distinctive toasted creamy nuttiness at the back. This cigar is packed with intense and complex flavors and aroma. I am in love.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: it is interesting to see that the cigar ramp up with a combination of 1/3 and 2/3 flavors and aroma profile at this stage. For an example, the dominating flavor is more into mochachino coffee which is the combo of Cappuccino, milk and creamy chocolate. This is the optimum complexity and example how a top quality cigar combin its layers and layers of flavors and aroma with in different stages. The complete 1/3 and 2/3 flavors, aroma, back notes are there but they are coming back and forth with different level of intensity and strength. It is like a difference between hot cups of mocha coffee with an iced Frappuccino. Both are quiet the same but taste different in hot and cold. The retrohale black peppery spice gives the delicate kick with more strength but still enjoyable. It is like when we eat Japanese food, the wasabi spiciness gives a quick spicy kick then fade away. However, at the same time we enjoy that quick moment. At this stage there is a clear hint of aromatic cinnamon-cloves-nutmeg note at the back each puff. There is also a wonderful aged caramel-molasses-brown sugary sweetness to it. My entire mouth if covered with intense tingly feeling with super long finish. The cigar never gets bitter or hot until the last puff. The strength of this cigar gradually picks up the strength and releases layers and layers of complex flavors and aroma. Its never get boring. I can write an entire book about the complex flavors and aroma of this cigar. Almost seven years of aging added a heaven like smoking experience. We will never have this feeling from a newly rolled cigar even if it is a San Cristobal De La Habana. Indeed, aging adds some magic to certain cigars. This cigar has been added to one of my precious collection and I am proud of it.

Final Thought: It is truly a very enjoyable smoke. The weather in Managua is windy with wavy tropical breeze. The sounds of breeze through the long coconut leaves and the cigar covered me with a wonderful meditative peaceful moment. God bless the San Cristobal De La Habana. I am truly blessed to have the chance to smoke this aged cigar. My friends, sometime I like to blend my soul with nature. This is one of those moment when I withdrawal myself from the real world and go to hibernation. I cannot type anymore. It is my time with my world. I highly recommend you to collect few sticks and a box and age them. Life is too short so enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!
    Photobucket
  • rburke1129rburke1129 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 383
    As usual, excellent review brother!
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Hey Rip, SCdlH has been on my radar for quite some time, but sadly I've yet to try one. I've been wanting to order some... so my question is this for ya... what regular production vitola do you think is the best out of thia line? I know a lot of folks like the belicoso (La Punta I think). Is that a solid choice in your opinion? …

Great review, btw!
    Thanks for your kind words Rich.
    rburke1129:
    As usual, excellent review brother!
    Hi Todd, SCDLH is a great cigar. Some people are missing the unique taste and flavors because of the fame of Cohiba and some other popular brands. I know many smokers like La Punta. In my opinion, if you want Cuban belicoso size then go for Montecristo No.2, Robina Unicos, Partagas Series P No. 2 or the recent Cohiba Pyramides Extra.

In my opinion, the top SCDLH regular line cigar is – El Principe not the La Punta. If you can find anything thing from 2004 or 2008 release then you are the winner. SCDLH is a slow item so there is a chance to find them. Good luck!
    BigT06:
    Hey Rip, SCdlH has been on my radar for quite some time, but sadly I've yet to try one. I've been wanting to order some... so my question is this for ya... what regular production vitola do you think is the best out of thia line? I know a lot of folks like the belicoso (La Punta I think). Is that a solid choice in your opinion? …

Great review, btw!
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    wow rip. another beautiful write up. i can't wait for it to be a cigar i have in my collection so i can see if i taste any of the things you mention. you have a hell of a pallate my friend. just to be able to pick up all those flavors is actually amazing.
    rzaman:
    Hi Todd, SCDLH is a great cigar. Some people are missing the unique taste and flavors because of the fame of Cohiba and some other popular brands. I know many smokers like La Punta. In my opinion, if you want Cuban belicoso size then go for Montecristo No.2, Robina Unicos, Partagas Series P No. 2 or the recent Cohiba Pyramides Extra.

In my opinion, the top SCDLH regular line cigar is – El Principe not the La Punta. If you can find anything thing from 2004 or 2008 release then you are the winner. SCDLH is a slow item so there is a chance to find them. Good luck!
    BigT06:

Great review, btw!
    Thanks for the advice Rip. I will give the el Principe a try. I already have the other belicosos you suggested (except the new Cohiba) and enjoy them all very much. The San Cristobal is what I'm really interested in currently. Thanks again!
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I had no idea this blend existed. Though the only San Cristobal I like is the original.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Todd...I'd be down for a split on mercaderes...
    catfishbluezz:
    Todd...I'd be down for a split on mercaderes...
    PM me the details and we'll get it working!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Great write-up as usual, Rip. The SCDLH is at the top of my radar as well. I'm looking forward to having some El Principe in the cooler some day, I've read nothing but positive things about them.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I grabbed a box of the Principes last year. Not ready yet but I still enjoy opening the box and smelling it every now and then. And the SCdlH's are really dark usually. Can't wait until they're ready in a few years.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    blurr:
    I grabbed a box of the Principes last year. Not ready yet but I still enjoy opening the box and smelling it every now and then. And the SCdlH's are really dark usually. Can't wait until they're ready in a few years.
    Those are dang good! Got a box resting as well, can't wait.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Haven't been on all that much but I'm happy your keeping up the reviews! Very stunning and a true pleasure to keep reading on your experiences. Thanks for keeping all of our butts on the edge of our seats!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I think I will have to start breaking some laws. I drool every time I read one of your reviews. Don't stop.