Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

- Humidor Give Away - CLOSED - Updated

SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
I have decided to give away my 300ct Ravello humidor. After thinking about selling it, I decided something like this would be the right thing to do. I have had it since Feb 2012 and since my wineador is done I have all the room and them some that I'll ever need. Ok, thats not true, thats just what my wife tells me lol.

Why am I giving away this humidor? I started with this hobby back in 2002 and have had some pretty top notch collections going, but when hard times hit the first thing to go is always the hobby. A year and a half ago I lost my job with my wife being seven months prego with our first baby. It's a very long story, shot version is, the city I worked for F'd up bad and I ended up making them pay up. By the time I received anything from them my daughter was almost a year old and my wife and I were buired in debt. The unemployment rate in the county I live in started at 14% and over the past year and a half has grown to almost 18%. After applying for anything and everything over the course of that time and being turned down and denied time and time again, I started to give up. I had never been in this situation before and with my wife and daughter depending on me I had to keep trying. I reached the point to where I just couldn't handle any more rejection and needed something to pull me out of some depression. One morning I got online and started to google all my favorite cigar brands I loved in the past and noticed how having a hobby again might be a good way to bring me out of my funk. I called my brother in law (winfip51) asked if he enjoyed cigars. We both jumped back into this hobby together and having something to redirect my focus on in hard times has done the trick. I have been able to get to know my brother in law better and make some new friends along the way. All of this has helped me keep my spirits up and be the husband and father my family needed me to be. Tomorrow Friday May 18th at 7:45am I will be starting my new job and finally start the process of putting this past year and a half behind me. Through all of this my wife has supported me and my hobby allowing me to spend money we didn't have just to make me happy.

So as my friends and family have been there to pick me up and support me when I was down, it's my turn to give back. I want this humidor to go to someone who doesn't just want it but needs it. I want it to go to someone that needs a good pick me up, that could maybe use a distraction in hard times, someone who is just starting with this hobby but can't afford to sink a lot of money into it right now. Whatever the situation may be I just want it to go to someone whos day would be made by finding this in the mail.

As I know it's not easy to come out and say, "Im going through a crappy situation" I would like any BOTL and SOTL that may know someone who could use a humidor like this to PM me and tell me a little info as to why they or their friend could use this humidor. Im all for someone speaking on their friends behalf with out their friend knowing, thats just what good friends do, and you don't have to be representing anyone from the forums here, it could be someone you know that really wants to get into this hobby but hasn't had the opportunity yet due to something keeping them from it. I also encourage people to speak on their own behalf as well. As this is not an easy subject for some to talk about please PM me all messages.

This isn't a contest, Im not looking for the best story or situation, Im also pretty good at being able to weed out BS, so please non of that. I just truly want to give back to my hobby and make someones day. One week from today I will ship out the humi and the person selected will be notified by a knock at the door by USPS. Thanks everyone!!!

This is the humi that will be given out

Comments

• jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    wowza that is purrrdy. I think that should go to Boyd McGowan (if you don't mind me picking haha). Boyd is an outstanding BOTL and a true friend that's wholeheartedly loving in the most un-calculated manner. That is hard to find. He's also a very loving father, husband, and sometimes w/ the mother in law (as much as one can really take hahaha). Anyways. I know Boyd needs a humi. I want him to have this. please please. Jiunn
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Hell of a gesture brother, true generosity!
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Smokindaddy:
    I have decided to give away my 300ct Ravello humidor. After thinking about selling it, I decided something like this would be the right thing to do. I have had it since Feb 2012 and since my wineador is done I have all the room and them some that I'll ever need. Ok, thats not true, thats just what my wife tells me lol.

Why am I giving away this humidor? I started with this hobby back in 2002 and have had some pretty top notch collections going, but when hard times hit the first thing to go is always the hobby. A year and a half ago I lost my job with my wife being seven months prego with our first baby. It's a very long story, shot version is, the city I worked for F'd up bad and I ended up making them pay up. By the time I received anything from them my daughter was almost a year old and my wife and I were buired in debt. The unemployment rate in the county I live in started at 14% and over the past year and a half has grown to almost 18%. After applying for anything and everything over the course of that time and being turned down and denied time and time again, I started to give up. I had never been in this situation before and with my wife and daughter depending on me I had to keep trying. I reached the point to where I just couldn't handle any more rejection and needed something to pull me out of some depression. One morning I got online and started to google all my favorite cigar brands I loved in the past and noticed how having a hobby again might be a good way to bring me out of my funk. I called my brother in law (winfip51) asked if he enjoyed cigars. We both jumped back into this hobby together and having something to redirect my focus on in hard times has done the trick. I have been able to get to know my brother in law better and make some new friends along the way. All of this has helped me keep my spirits up and be the husband and father my family needed me to be. Tomorrow Friday May 18th at 7:45am I will be starting my new job and finally start the process of putting this past year and a half behind me. Through all of this my wife has supported me and my hobby allowing me to spend money we didn't have just to make me happy.

So as my friends and family have been there to pick me up and support me when I was down, it's my turn to give back. I want this humidor to go to someone who doesn't just want it but needs it. I want it to go to someone that needs a good pick me up, that could maybe use a distraction in hard times, someone who is just starting with this hobby but can't afford to sink a lot of money into it right now. Whatever the situation may be I just want it to go to someone whos day would be made by finding this in the mail.

As I know it's not easy to come out and say, "Im going through a crappy situation" I would like any BOTL and SOTL that may know someone who could use a humidor like this to PM me and tell me a little info as to why they or their friend could use this humidor. Im all for someone speaking on their friends behalf with out their friend knowing, thats just what good friends do, and you don't have to be representing anyone from the forums here, it could be someone you know that really wants to get into this hobby but hasn't had the opportunity yet due to something keeping them from it. I also encourage people to speak on their own behalf as well. As this is not an easy subject for some to talk about please PM me all messages.

This isn't a contest, Im not looking for the best story or situation, Im also pretty good at being able to weed out BS, so please non of that. I just truly want to give back to my hobby and make someones day. One week from today I will ship out the humi and the person selected will be notified by a knock at the door by USPS. Thanks everyone!!!

This is the humi that will be given out
    I'm glad you are starting a new job man. I know all about the unemployement thing a few years back i went 2 years without working we maxed all our credit out etc. It sucks, i am so glad you got something going on man!. It's a beautiful humi and I am sure anyone who received it would be honored. Great idea for a "contest". good luck on your endeavors brother
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    That is awesome. Glad your fortune has started to turn around. I may have someone in mind, but there are probably others out there who may be able to use it more, so I will refrain.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    That's awesome and incredibly generous of you smokindaddy. Glad to hear things are looking up for you after those trying times!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    bbass2:
    That's awesome and incredibly generous of you smokindaddy. Glad to hear things are looking up for you after those trying times!
    +10000
    A truly stand-up gesture and this is exactly what being a BOTL is all about and just another reason why this is the best forum, period.

I am glad to hear that things are getting better for you and I wish you all the best as you start your new job.

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Very nice of you to do this, once again, I am "blown" away at the generosity here!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    First, BIG congratulations on the new job! I cant even imagine going thru what you have, and its always awesome to hear about a quality BOTL getting a break and having something good happen in their life.

Secondly, this humidor giveaway is singlehandedly one of THE MOST GRACIOUS THINGS IVE EVER SEEN! Thats truly saying something special when you consider the generosity shown by the people on these forums, and I salute you sir! Its a great looking humidor, and is really going to make a huge difference to whoever is the lucky recipient.

Its things like this that make me love this place...

• pbchevopbchevo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 712
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Hell of a gesture brother, true generosity!
    +1
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    The Sniper:
    First, BIG congratulations on the new job! I cant even imagine going thru what you have, and its always awesome to hear about a quality BOTL getting a break and having something good happen in their life.

Secondly, this humidor giveaway is singlehandedly one of THE MOST GRACIOUS THINGS IVE EVER SEEN! Thats truly saying something special when you consider the generosity shown by the people on these forums, and I salute you sir! Its a great looking humidor, and is really going to make a huge difference to whoever is the lucky recipient.

+1...I couldn't agree more.

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    An we wil be celebrating at a Fonseca/quesada/matasa even Friday too. Way to go Jason....now go smack someone
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Glad to see things look up man. I couldn't imagine going thru that. Congrats on the job my man!
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Thank you to everyone for the kind words, they are very much appreciated!!!
  • JonnysmokesJonnysmokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    Fantastic gesture. Great idea.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Glad things are looking up for you brother. I know we all fall upon hard times but its this brotherhood that we share here that at times can help us threw our situations. I have been a member of different organizations in the past and this is by far the best brotherhood i have been a member of. Thanks for sharing this time with us and whomever the brother/sister is that recieves this feel proud... Great job gald to call you my brother..
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    MTuccelli:
    The Sniper:

+1...I couldn't agree more.

+2 Glen always says it best.
  • Cigar NinjaCigar Ninja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    Well, let me just say Jason (SmokinDaddy) deserves his new job, and all the good fortune coming his way.  He married my sister last year and I can honestly say he's a class A gentleman (and a damn good cook too!).  That being said, you're not giving away my Mi Amor's, and Siglo's I have stored in there are you!?  Wink [;)]

I can attest that this humidor has been seasoned properly, and is in immaculate condition.  Best wishes to whoever gets it!
    Ok now that the secret is out, yes (wfip51) my brother in law is also cigar ninja. Damn that was a hard secret to keep. LOL. But what an awesome game. Thanks Chris for your support through out all of this. You have played a big part and couldn't be more happy to call you my brother!!!

Your Mi Amors and Siglos are safe.......or are they???? J/K LOL
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Awesome gesture! Kudos to you; you truly are the definition of a brother. We can all really appreciate the fact that you're taking your good fortune and paying it forward!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Sounds like things are going better for you and for that, I'm happy. Best of luck to the winner of this really cool gesture. You sir, are top notch in my book.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Man that's an awesome thing to do, I was in a similar situation except I don't have a family to support and the same thing for me cigars kept my head up and helped me take my mind off the bad things even if only for an hour or so, hope you have great success in the new job
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Dude, this is an incredible thing to do. It's just awesome beyond description.

Congrats on the new job and good luck. I went through a similar situation a couple of years ago soon after my daughter was born. To say that's tough on a man is an understatement. But we endured and things ended up turning out for the better for me and my family, and we're doing better now than we ever have. Sounds like the same is happening with you bro, and that is AWESOME!

Oh yeah, don't be late tomorrow ;-)
    Thank you again everyone for all the positive words and thank you to those of you who have shared your similar situations. I swear while unemployed I thought I was the only guy going through something like this. I appreciate all my BOTL.

I know it's still only day one, so far there have only been two people suggested. This is open to anyone and everyone, don't be shy.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    First class gesture brother!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Smokindaddy:
    I know it's still only day one, so far there have only been two people suggested. This is open to anyone and everyone, don't be shy.
    I think maybe peeps may be being very cautious as to who they nominate for such a generous gift. Dont be discouraged my friend, when the right nominee is presented you will know it instantly. :-)

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Great give-away!!! Generosity such as this is why our community is such a special place, a real diamond in the rough. Congrats on your new job, hope things continue to go well for you!
    The Sniper:
    Smokindaddy:
    I think maybe peeps may be being very cautious as to who they nominate for such a generous gift. Dont be discouraged my friend, when the right nominee is presented you will know it instantly. :-)

I totally understand that. Still 5 days left.

Thanks again everyone for the awesome comments. I can't begin to tell you how great it was to get back to the grind yesterday. When I joined this forum I never thought I'd experience some many positive uplifting people here. I'm proud as hell to be a member.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    So, I must know. How was the first day on the job??? Inquiring minds have to know
    marineatbn03:
    So, I must know. How was the first day on the job??? Inquiring minds have to know
    First day was good, a lot of policy and procedure stuff. Thanks for asking.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I think Sniper is right about people being hesitant with such a nice gift. However, I'll be glad to throw one out there. FYI I've never had any dealings with him and have no idea how many smokes/humidors he has, but I nominate jlmarta for THIS reason alone.