Home Ratings & Reviews

AJ Blends Just Suck

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    This reminds me of the commercial.

"I don't always smoke cigars. But when I do, I prefer Padron". LMAO
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    catfishbluezz:
    Lee...people just don't buy corona's and lancero's... And while guys like us love them, we also look for the best price/deal. After spending more time in my B&M....the people that keep the place open are the lines of cattle that buy the biggest cigar they can find, and the infused sticks...
    Lol yeah I know! I just wish people could be educated and enjoy the wrapper flavores over drowning them down with filler! But you would think the companies could atleast make small batches of the smaller rg's for smokers like us
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    catfishbluezz:
    Lee...people just don't buy corona's and lancero's... And while guys like us love them, we also look for the best price/deal. After spending more time in my B&M....the people that keep the place open are the lines of cattle that buy the biggest cigar they can find, and the infused sticks...

And that goes back to those of us who just dont know any better. You made a comment about the Padron Ani Maddy from $10-30 a stick depending on Vitola and Series. Even for me..... I would rather 4-6 AJ blends to pass the time then to smoke a Little Hammer and not understand its complexity. There would be fewer B&Ms without sheep and cattle.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    Lol yeah I know! I just wish people could be educated and enjoy the wrapper flavores over drowning them down with filler! But you would think the companies could atleast make small batches of the smaller rg's for smokers like us

How does someone educate their pallet?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    It's a consumer driven market, they want the most bang for the buck. Which is probably another reason why AJ's sticks are popular, who can turn down 10-$20/$30? Problem is getting stuck with a ton when you realize it is not your profile or your pallete grows. I think alot of them do make small batches, as I've found some cool odd lancero's at my B&M and he gets them only for him and a few select customers. I think the owner just has to know the right people.
    Vision:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:

Collect two coolers worth of cigars. Get laid off. Commence to smoking 3-4 a day. Check out Kuzi's thread, given my background as a chef, I think I might have had a bit more of a head start as I am a foodie.
    Vision:
    catfishbluezz:

And that goes back to those of us who just dont know any better. You made a comment about the Padron Ani Maddy from $10-30 a stick depending on Vitola and Series. Even for me..... I would rather 4-6 AJ blends to pass the time then to smoke a Little Hammer and not understand its complexity. There would be fewer B&Ms without sheep and cattle.
    To be honest padrons are one of the few cigars I find worthy to be in that price range! But as mentioned its all based on opinion. I have a crap load of random sticks that are lower in cost and I'm happy with them but sometimes there is also quality over quantity! It's all in the eye of the beholder really no one is wrong
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Smokindaddy, we shoudl talk my friend. I also agree totally with your assessment of Tat's......If you also think Padillas suck and ever Torano is average we may have the same palate.
    LOL...me too... Not a huge Tat fan at all...and I love DPG's stuff. I really like the El T brown lancero and I loved the MExican Experiment, otherwise I just cannot get into them. Other then the 50 year, not a Torano fan either. I do like the Padilla Miami though, but that is it from that line.
    Couldn't agree with you more Dustin
    UR BOTH DUMB- WERE DO I FIND THIS DPG? IS THIS AVAILABLE ON SPRINT SALE?
    All kidding aside. YOUR STILL DUMB
    No no no ok I'm serious now. When I first started in on cigars I was into Aj stuff but now that I've branched out more the less of it I smoke. I still enjoy the SL Habano,Oval/Maduro, Little Devil and Shorties but everything else has lost its luster. Never liked the Ava Marias or 5 Vegas AJ blends. I don't disagree that the profiles are very similar I just happen to to like that profile. Now fuente is another story.. outside of Opus and Anejo I despise them. AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY DUSTIN LfD POWNZ JOO- Your just jealous of the monsterous size of the DIGGER
    Vision:
    catfishbluezz:

And the 85th isn't complex IMO either, it has one solid change. It's an amzing cigar, and a personal favorite, and when I want an amazing maduro I grab it or a Liga. When I don't, I grab a UHC/Shorty/Mowpam. Funny thing is....I would be willing to bet, if that Padron was a 60ga....more cattle would swing the cash.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    I think everyone should get a ribbon and a hug!!!!! Everyone of you are right in your own mind!! Some of you don't like this brand, check, some of you don't like that brand, check! To each is his/her own!! Embrace the ones you like and get rid of the one you don't! I think this is too simple for my complex mind!!! LMAO!
    catfishbluezz:
    Vision:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:

Collect two coolers worth of cigars. Get laid off. Commence to smoking 3-4 a day. Check out Kuzi's thread, given my background as a chef, I think I might have had a bit more of a head start as I am a foodie.
    Nice! I was once a chef as well but couldn't take the hours!! But your right once you try something really good it's hard to turn back!!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Vision:
    catfishbluezz:

To be honest padrons are one of the few cigars I find worthy to be in that price range! But as mentioned its all based on opinion. I have a crap load of random sticks that are lower in cost and I'm happy with them but sometimes there is also quality over quantity! It's all in the eye of the beholder really no one is wrong

Exactly... I love steak but sometimes have to settle for hot dogs....
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Smokindaddy, we shoudl talk my friend. I also agree totally with your assessment of Tat's......If you also think Padillas suck and ever Torano is average we may have the same palate.
    LOL...me too... Not a huge Tat fan at all...and I love DPG's stuff. I really like the El T brown lancero and I loved the MExican Experiment, otherwise I just cannot get into them. Other then the 50 year, not a Torano fan either. I do like the Padilla Miami though, but that is it from that line.
    No no no ok I'm serious now. When I first started in on cigars I was into Aj stuff but now that I've branched out more the less of it I smoke. I still enjoy the SL Habano,Oval/Maduro, Little Devil and Shorties but everything else has lost its luster. Never liked the Ava Marias or 5 Vegas AJ blends. I don't disagree that the profiles are very similar I just happen to to like that profile. Now fuente is another story.. outside of Opus and Anejo I despise them. AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY DUSTIN LfD POWNZ JOO- Your just jealous of the monsterous size of the DIGGER
    I know....out of respect to the Kuz....I told jiunn I would explore a few more as my B&M has a ton. I tried a couple different vitola's and blends and did not like them. Without a duobt...the double ligero stuff is not my taste.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I hate the term "yard gar" and actually i dont even understand it,,,when im out workin in the yard,, i'm bustin my ass and physically Im not able to smoke a cigar, much less enjoy one..(i'd rather inhale oxygen),, Now putterin around in the garage gar,,yea I can see that.. personnally i dont think all his blends taste similar, for example Gurkha park ave vs San Lotano conny vs MOW vrtue, or triple A maduro vs emillio af 1 vs san lotano maduro and none of his cigars taste like an Oval. I enjoy em all!! I have spent more money on other cigars that were not as good as AJF's,, I rarely have had a construction problem with an AJF cigar ,,if ever.. To each their own,,I will always have some AJF cigars in my Humi,, Thank You AJF and ccom
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Ken Light:
    Man, there is so much wrong with this post. I don't think any of it was intentional though, so the following is meant as constructively as possible.

First, there is no review here. "This sucks" or "This is not complex" are not reviews. Clearly you cannot pick out flavors and your palette just isn't where it need to be to write a review. Mine isn't either, but I don't write reviews. Or you just didn't bother to elaborate, which would be worse. I'm a huge AJ fan, but I didn't open this thread to flame you or defend my tastes. I opened this thread because I was genuinely curious to hear the opinion of a palette clearly very different than mind, and I didn't get that.

Next, you're saying you got some of these sticks through trades and bombs. I don't see why you'd want to point that out. You're basically poo-pooing a cigar that some BOTL was kind enough to gift you. That's terrible. I'm surprised more people haven't pointed that out.

Third, you talk about how smoking every day would cheapen it for you. And you allude to the fact that you'd only smoke MoW or UHC if you smoked every day, and thus had cheapened the hobby. I'm not a daily smoker by any means, but if I was I'd hate to come on here and have someone blindly taking stabs at the way I enjoy the hobby.

Finally, you call AJ fans "blind and convinced to buy mass quantitys[sic] of below average sticks." Wow, really? That's some pretty harsh personal criticism. I can tell you the first MoW I smoked knocked my socks off and I had no idea who AJ Fernandez was at the time and the same happened with the Gurkha Park Ave.

In closing, I'd love to read an actual review you write about AJ in general, maybe with some specific blends talked about and specific flavors and profiles. You can't tell me that a Park Ave tastes like an UHC to you. I hope. So I'd love to know what you find that you don't like or what you look for that you don't find.
    Since everyone else seems to be ignoring this wonderful response, I would like to say thank you, Ken. Everything you point out here is spot on. This wasn't a review or even constructive criticism. It was simply an attack.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    catfishbluezz:
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    I know....out of respect to the Kuz....I told jiunn I would explore a few more as my B&M has a ton. I tried a couple different vitola's and blends and did not like them. Without a duobt...the double ligero stuff is not my taste.
    Sissy boi
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    MVW67:
    I think everyone should get a ribbon and a hug!!!!! Everyone of you are right in your own mind!! Some of you don't like this brand, check, some of you don't like that brand, check! To each is his/her own!! Embrace the ones you like and get rid of the one you don't! I think this is too simple for my complex mind!!! LMAO!
    ok two hugs!
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:
    Man, there is so much wrong with this post. I don't think any of it was intentional though, so the following is meant as constructively as possible.

First, there is no review here. "This sucks" or "This is not complex" are not reviews. Clearly you cannot pick out flavors and your palette just isn't where it need to be to write a review. Mine isn't either, but I don't write reviews. Or you just didn't bother to elaborate, which would be worse. I'm a huge AJ fan, but I didn't open this thread to flame you or defend my tastes. I opened this thread because I was genuinely curious to hear the opinion of a palette clearly very different than mind, and I didn't get that.

Next, you're saying you got some of these sticks through trades and bombs. I don't see why you'd want to point that out. You're basically poo-pooing a cigar that some BOTL was kind enough to gift you. That's terrible. I'm surprised more people haven't pointed that out.

Third, you talk about how smoking every day would cheapen it for you. And you allude to the fact that you'd only smoke MoW or UHC if you smoked every day, and thus had cheapened the hobby. I'm not a daily smoker by any means, but if I was I'd hate to come on here and have someone blindly taking stabs at the way I enjoy the hobby.

Finally, you call AJ fans "blind and convinced to buy mass quantitys[sic] of below average sticks." Wow, really? That's some pretty harsh personal criticism. I can tell you the first MoW I smoked knocked my socks off and I had no idea who AJ Fernandez was at the time and the same happened with the Gurkha Park Ave.

In closing, I'd love to read an actual review you write about AJ in general, maybe with some specific blends talked about and specific flavors and profiles. You can't tell me that a Park Ave tastes like an UHC to you. I hope. So I'd love to know what you find that you don't like or what you look for that you don't find.
    Since everyone else seems to be ignoring this wonderful response, I would like to say thank you, Ken. Everything you point out here is spot on. This wasn't a review or even constructive criticism. It was simply an attack.

I see everyones point. I really have no clue about my pallet and "flavors" in cigars. Thats why I come here. For post just like this. I love that there is a place where we can all disagree on one thing and bomb each other the next day no matter the opinion. I come here to learn from ALL of you guys and gals..... No matter from which side you stand.
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:

Dude....if I had to write a review for every one of his blends that sucked, it would take forever. Plain and simple, alot of them taste the same...no need to review each one, they are not worth it. I don't think he is saying sticks that got sent to him sucked, he thanks everyone for sending him sticks, then offers to send them out to other people. And the blind comment is in regard to the pricing blinding the consumer not the consumer being blind, and I cannot agree more. I think the fact he took the time to thank everyone for their generosity and sharing shows his character. Maybe his approach wasn't the best, but I hardly feel like it was an attack on people.
    PS. I have never had a Padron so I cant speak to their line.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:

Acutally I can agree, it really wasn't much of a review, an attack, really? Come on, since you and Ken seem to have read what I wrote, Im just curious as to why both of you ignored the word, opinion. I mean, I wrote it several times, its in there, a lot. And with 6 pages of comments, seems like you two are the only really two that can find fault with an opinion.
    Vision:
    The maduro anny's and FR are worth it dude. I like the londres and panetela in the natural line, 2000 in the maduro.
    Vision:
    Im so glad I read this before taking the box Im sending you to the P.O. LOL
    Smokindaddy:
    Vision:
    Im so glad I read this before taking the box Im sending you to the P.O. LOL

LOL PM at ya
    In regard to the pricing, I think it does blind the consumer into buying a ton of his stuff. As a noob, I bought plenty of 10 packs of AJ, only to have 1-2, then gift them or trade them to other people. It's hard to pass up a cool band, a good reputation, and $2/3 a stick. I got rid of all of it, except for the ones I liked. So yeah...I was blinded by the AJ price point myself as a consumer and wish I wasn't. I do regret not buying a box of UHC lol...and then another one....
    catfishbluezz:
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:

Dude....if I had to write a review for every one of his blends that sucked, it would take forever. Plain and simple, alot of them taste the same...no need to review each one, they are not worth it. I don't think he is saying sticks that got sent to him sucked, he thanks everyone for sending him sticks, then offers to send them out to other people. And the blind comment is in regard to the pricing blinding the consumer not the consumer being blind, and I cannot agree more. I think the fact he took the time to thank everyone for their generosity and sharing shows his character. Maybe his approach wasn't the best, but I hardly feel like it was an attack on people.
    Dustin had done everthing he can think of to try to get me to become an AJ fan and he can tell you, I really wanted to like AJ stuff. I traded him all kinds of stuff just so I could try more AJ blends. Dustin had given me sticks to try and more recently BigT hooked me up with some aged stuff, which I have to say was the better of everything I have tried. But I can almost promise you that they are not going to be mad that I didn't like what I was given to try. That is one of the best things about our hobby. I smoked this amazing stick, it was so good, I want you to try it, whats that, you didnt like it, ok no big deal, on to the next one. Throwing me under the buss to other bothers is pretty F'ed up, just sayin!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Smokindaddy:
    Acutally I can agree, it really wasn't much of a review, an attack, really? Come on, since you and Ken seem to have read what I wrote, Im just curious as to why both of you ignored the word, opinion. I mean, I wrote it several times, its in there, a lot. And with 6 pages of comments, seems like you two are the only really two that can find fault with an opinion.
    Considering you wrote the original post with the title "AJ Blends Just Suck", I would consider this thread to be a simple attack. Not on me, but on AJ Fernandez. Clearly, you wanted to start a firestorm of opinions and you did. And for the record, me calling it an attack is obviously just my opinion.
    SleevePlz:
    Smokindaddy:
    Considering you wrote the original post with the title "AJ Blends Just Suck", I would consider this thread to be a simple attack. Not on me, but on AJ Fernandez. Clearly, you wanted to start a firestorm of opinions and you did. And for the record, me calling it an attack is obviously just my opinion.
    Good point Tony
    I was just thinking about this.... Dont we all... or most.... maybe just some of us all have a brand we just cant get into. Perdomo is my "Not a fan of...." If it were worded "Not a fan of AJ Blends" ...would it have gotten to this or is it JUST the wording that is getting the attention?
    However, in regard to the title...I'd imagine if someone posted a thread about how VS blends just suck, you wouldn;t get anyone claiming an attack. I think AJ puts out enough for everyone to like one of his blends and that creates a brand loyalty.