Home Ratings & Reviews

Biodarwin's journey to becoming a cigar smoker

Comments

• biodarwinbiodarwin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 260
    Imgembo:
    I like your style it is like a public cigar tasting journal. Where in Louisiana are you?
    Exactly what I was going for. I like to think of it as an interactive cigar journal. I am having a rough time determining what to smoke next. Regardless I will be smoking something in the next couple of hours. I haven't been able to get a smoke in the last 2 nights.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    If they are all new to you, you really can't go wrong. You either find something you like and want to try again or discover something to avoid in the future. Perhaps go with something as different from anything else that you have tried so far. Whether it's the wrapper, vitola, country of origin, whatever.
    SleevePlz:
    Perhaps go with something as different from anything else that you have tried so far. Whether it's the wrapper, vitola, country of origin, whatever.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here, thank you! I am going to dig through the humi and find something completely different than I have smoked so far. My wife is at work, so I might drag the laptop to the garage and do this review in "almost" real time.

EP Carrillo Elencos
    Wrapper: Brazilian Habano
    Filler: Dominican and Nicaraguan

Drink: Water with Lime

Pre-light
    The smell on the cigar is very rich and earthy. I made my cut and took a pre-light draw. Very very rich. Definitely one of the fullest flavor cigars I have smoked. The cigar made slight crackle sound when rolled between the fingers lightly, but not enough so that it cracked or anything. The cigar itself was not very tightly rolled having some give when I press on it. It was consistent from head to foot, not lumpy or uneven. I have no complaints in the construction department

Post light
    After it was lit and settled down after a few draws I got the slightest hint of sweetness, but it was short lived with cedar being the primary note I am tasting for pretty much the entire burn. The same flavors intensifying as it got shorter and shorter. I believe this makes it less complex, but not an un-enjoyable smoke. The smoke was rich and thick and I felt like it lingered more so than previous smokes. The ash was very white and was easily 1.5" before breaking off. The cherry was a nice cone shape afterwords which is always a good sign.

Conclusion
    Not a bad cigar, but not my favorite so far. The lack of complexity to the cigar means I am not ready for these full flavored cigars or my palate is not yet refined enough to get anything but cedar off this smoke. I do not believe I would pay the retail price for this stick and I was glad I got mine in a sampler. I have another which I stuck in my "aging" section of the humidor. We will revisit this smoke in 6-12 months.
    I am thinking todays cigar / review will be a Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997.
    Imgembo:
    Where in Louisiana are you?
    North / Northeast.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    First, welcome to our little world. I notice you frequently have lime in whatever you're drinking while smoking, I think this is a good choice. Something about the acidity can have positive effects on your taste, although I've heard some say to have the lime or lemon beforehand, and something more neutral later. Whatever works for you. It's nice to watch your journey of discovery, I've enjoyed your perspective.
    Amos Umwhat:
    First, welcome to our little world. I notice you frequently have lime in whatever you're drinking while smoking, I think this is a good choice. Something about the acidity can have positive effects on your taste, although I've heard some say to have the lime or lemon beforehand, and something more neutral later. Whatever works for you. It's nice to watch your journey of discovery, I've enjoyed your perspective.
    Thank you sir! Thanks for the advice on the more neutral flavor during. I will work this into my routine what smoking for reviewing.
    Hello Folks! Not full length reviews for the weekend as I was smoking with friends, cooking and watching football :) I had 2 enjoyable smokes this weekend:

Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997

A really rich, yet mellow taste. The pre-ilight draw was amazing and reminded me of cocoa and the Rp 1990 Vintage which sealed the deal for cigar smoking for me.

La Aurora Preferidos

This one knocked my socks off, sweet and woody at the same time. Reminded me cherry wood. So tasty I will be tracking more of these down!

Definitely not reviews per say but I wanted to add these in. After a weeks I am going to compare what I liked vs what I loved and try to determine if there is a particular counties tobacco or wrapper makes a better smoke for me.

Have a great week everyone!
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    biodarwin:
    Hello Folks! Not full length reviews for the weekend as I was smoking with friends, cooking and watching football :) I had 2 enjoyable smokes this weekend:

Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997

A really rich, yet mellow taste. The pre-ilight draw was amazing and reminded me of cocoa and the Rp 1990 Vintage which sealed the deal for cigar smoking for me.

La Aurora Preferidos

This one knocked my socks off, sweet and woody at the same time. Reminded me cherry wood. So tasty I will be tracking more of these down!

Definitely not reviews per say but I wanted to add these in. After a weeks I am going to compare what I liked vs what I loved and try to determine if there is a particular counties tobacco or wrapper makes a better smoke for me.

Have a great week everyone!
    i smoked my first vintage 97 not to long ago. I can honestly say it lived up to the hype for me. Qurious which one of the la Aurora preferidos did you smoke. I thought their were multiples with different wrappers.
    Imgembo:
    i smoked my first vintage 97 not to long ago. I can honestly say it lived up to the hype for me. Qurious which one of the la Aurora preferidos did you smoke. I thought their were multiples with different wrappers.
    There are multiples, but did not realize until later today when I tried to order more! This was the #2 Cameroon without the tube.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    My first newb trade with Toombes had a Preferidos Cameroon Robusto in it and it was outstanding. Have not had the Perfecto, though I would imagine it's pretty tasty too.
    Rather bummed about last night. I was indulging in a Alec Bradley Tempus when my phone rang, one of my big clients had issues with one of their major systems. I brought my laptop outside to try and continue to enjoy it but it ended up going out on me a time or 2, but was able to get about 70% of it finished. I did not get a chance to enjoy it as I normally would. Definitely a GREAT smoke I would like to revisit. I might even turn my cell of prior to :)
    pelirrojo:
    My first newb trade with Toombes had a Preferidos Cameroon Robusto in it and it was outstanding. Have not had the Perfecto, though I would imagine it's pretty tasty too.
    Send me your address in a PM and I will ship you a couple next week once my new order gets in.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    biodarwin:
    Rather bummed about last night. I was indulging in a Alec Bradley Tempus when my phone rang, one of my big clients had issues with one of their major systems. I brought my laptop outside to try and continue to enjoy it but it ended up going out on me a time or 2, but was able to get about 70% of it finished. I did not get a chance to enjoy it as I normally would. Definitely a GREAT smoke I would like to revisit. I might even turn my cell of prior to :)
    One of your clients? Systems? I had the impression you're a chef, Jeremy.

webmost:

I am a wannabe chef and cook a lot on the weekends. In reality tho, I am the Director of Support for a software company.
    biodarwin:
    webmost:

I am a wannabe chef and cook a lot on the weekends. In reality tho, I am the Director of Support for a software company.
    Ah, so I was almost right. I knew there was a trained palate in there somewheres. No, as director of support, you cannot turn your cell phone off. Money coming in trumps money going out. Must learn to multi-task. Often easier said than done.

Jeremy, what you been smoking this gobbleday holiday? We're waiting with bated breath round here.

webmost:
    Jeremy, what you been smoking this gobbleday holiday? We're waiting with bated breath round here.

Things have been "crappy" literally. We have had plumbing problem after plumbing problem and I haven't had a chance to smoke until last night. I did smoke a Ramon Bueso Genesis. I will post the review shortly!
    Ramon Bueso Genesis "The Project"

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
    Filler: Condega Viso, Esteli Viso, La Entrada Viso, Talanga Ligero
    Manufactor's description:

Genesis contains a lush bouquet of vintage tobaccos, married to deliver savory notes of espresso, roasted nuts, nutmeg and earth. Each smoke filled puff is different from the last, as silky smooth smoke washes over the palate to deliver a distinct spicy-sweet finish, rounding out the impressive ensemble. Providing complex flavors, and a distinct yet ever changing body, Genesis leads boldly in the world of boutique cigars.
    Source:http://www.ramonbuesocigars.com/genesis.aspx

Drink: Dos Equis Amber

On first inspection I immediately noticed how oily the wrapper felt. The cigar felt solidly consistent from head to toe and not a blemish in the wrapper to be found. I made my cut and took a pre-light draw, I had trouble pin pointing an exact flavor, but it tasted "bold". Coffee? No, but with a similar depth of a dark roast. It was a bit puzzling and definitely a new flavor my palate had not previously tasted in cigars.

Once it settled down after lighting the smoke was consistent and very heavy. Spice with a hint of anise seed, while not perfectly describing the flavor it is as close as I can come to describing it. There was a lot of depth, think rich smoke. The burn was perfect from start to finish producing a really thick white ash which held on for as long as I would allow it.

Half way through I do notice it balancing out a bit more and becoming smoother, but all in all I believe this a bit more full bodied than medium body. While this is a good cigar and I would strongly encourage anyone to try it, it is just not my cup of tea. If this cigar could be aged just a bit and mellowed out the slightest, I think this would be a cigar I would reach for again.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    biodarwin:
    Ramon Bueso Genesis "The Project"

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
    Filler: Condega Viso, Esteli Viso, La Entrada Viso, Talanga Ligero
    Manufactor's description:

Genesis contains a lush bouquet of vintage tobaccos, married to deliver savory notes of espresso, roasted nuts, nutmeg and earth. Each smoke filled puff is different from the last, as silky smooth smoke washes over the palate to deliver a distinct spicy-sweet finish, rounding out the impressive ensemble. Providing complex flavors, and a distinct yet ever changing body, Genesis leads boldly in the world of boutique cigars.
    Source:http://www.ramonbuesocigars.com/genesis.aspx

Drink: Dos Equis Amber

On first inspection I immediately noticed how oily the wrapper felt. The cigar felt solidly consistent from head to toe and not a blemish in the wrapper to be found. I made my cut and took a pre-light draw, I had trouble pin pointing an exact flavor, but it tasted "bold". Coffee? No, but with a similar depth of a dark roast. It was a bit puzzling and definitely a new flavor my palate had not previously tasted in cigars.

Once it settled down after lighting the smoke was consistent and very heavy. Spice with a hint of anise seed, while not perfectly describing the flavor it is as close as I can come to describing it. There was a lot of depth, think rich smoke. The burn was perfect from start to finish producing a really thick white ash which held on for as long as I would allow it.

Half way through I do notice it balancing out a bit more and becoming smoother, but all in all I believe this a bit more full bodied than medium body. While this is a good cigar and I would strongly encourage anyone to try it, it is just not my cup of tea. If this cigar could be aged just a bit and mellowed out the slightest, I think this would be a cigar I would reach for again.
    How long had you had it? They do mellow. If you PM me your addy I'd be happy to send you a couple more. They have something like 2 months on them right now and you can wait on them longer if you so choose.
    biodarwin:
    webmost:

Things have been "crappy" literally. We have had plumbing problem after plumbing problem and I haven't had a chance to smoke until last night. I did smoke a Ramon Bueso Genesis. I will post the review shortly!
    Thanksgiving is not an appropriate holiday on which to have probs with your crapper.

Ashton Classic

Wrapper: Connecticut
    Filler:Dominican Republic
    Size:Corona
    Manufacturer Description: A consistently pleasurable smoke for all cigar lovers, the Ashton Classic has a medium body with nuances of peppery spice. The blend of 3 to 4 year old Dominican tobacco, along with its rich golden Connecticut shade wrapper creates an extremely well blended rich taste. The draw of this cigar from beginning to end is never disappointing. The Ashton Classic is truly a smoke for anytime and anywhere and, like an old friend, never lets you down.

Souce: http://www.ashtoncigar.com/Ashton-Classic.jsp

Drink: Dr. Pepper

The wrapper was very veiny and the seams appeared to be more pronounced than usual with my previous sticks. I tried to smell the cigar, but not standout aroma existed with the unlit cigar. I made my cut and took a pre-light draw. Mild spice with a slight hint of sweetness. Sounds right up my alley!

After it settled down it was just mild and lacked body or complexity... Hints of pepper and spice with a very clean exhale. The smoke didn't "coat" my tongue like other fuller bodied cigars. The flavor stayed pretty consistent from start to finish just getting a tad bland towards the end. The ash was white to light grey, fairly dense and held for at least an inch. The burn was pretty consistent as well. Only once did it get a bit jagged but it corrected itself for a continuing even burn.

If your looking for a mild cigar which will not stomp all over your palate than this is what you are looking for. I believe this would pair well green and white teas and be a good cigar to smoke while munching. Think foot ball game etc... While this cigar will not be a part of my normal rotation, I would definitely keep a few for the occasional smoke or to give out to friends who have never smoked medium to full body cigars.

Ken Light:
    ] How long had you had it? They do mellow. If you PM me your addy I'd be happy to send you a couple more. They have something like 2 months on them right now and you can wait on them longer if you so choose.
    I have only had it for a few weeks. I will PM you.
    More of a journal entry than review today. I smoked a Diesel Unholy Cocktail today which had some age on it, big thanks to Goldy for hooking it up! I really wanted to try one of these and now I can feel good about keeping my others at the bottom of my humi for aging ( just got them a couple weeks ago).

This was a POTENT cigar which you should not smoke on an empty stomach. I think this is the first time I tasted "leather" in a a cigar. Despite being potent and full bodied the exhale was extremely smooth. The after taste was one of the worse ones yet. I am glad a have a few of these to sit on and age, but I do not see myself buying a box of them.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Yeah man!! Aj's stuff need plenty of rest!! The diesels aren't bad budget sticks at all but just not box worthy IMO. The vitola of them is rather well to big for me but they do pack a punch!! Keep the rest in the humi for a while and you'll see a drastic change in them!!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Rats, I should have thought to throw in a 5 Vegas Cask Strength with those cameroons.
    I'm thinking you would like the "woodsy" taste of it.
    0patience:
    Rats, I should have thought to throw in a 5 Vegas Cask Strength with those cameroons.
    I'm thinking you would like the "woodsy" taste of it.
    You did more than enough man! Thank you, you have turned me on to some great smokes!
    Still having plumbing issues so things have been a bit stressful. I did get to smoke a Graycliff Platinum which I got from my original sampler. It sucked, bad. I didn't want to continue smoking it. It had a REALLY open draw and the cigar itself seemed very soft and was slightly uneven in spots. Just a poor smoke with an apparent marketing gimmick because they sell for $20 a single... or maybe its not my cup of tea and I am over exaggerating my dislike for this.

On the up side I also got to smoke a AF Don Carlos Reserva #4 thanks to 0patience. I can't think him enough for this. I lost myself in this smoke. Creamy, cedary, perfect draw, perfect smoke time and it just got better and better as the stick dwindled down. Probably the first smoke I wanted to burn my fingers off trying to smoke. Looks like I will be box hunting for this one in the near future ( Getting a coolidor together next week!)
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Glad to hear you liked the Don Carlos. It is a pretty good smoke and I find the size to be just about right a lot of the time.