Home Non Cigar Related

Hacker's Corner FORE!!!!

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I played 18 holes yesterday, smoked 3 cigars. Shot an 83. Chipped two in for birdies, and a par 3 birdie. One water ball for a double. One in the rocks and cactus for a double. The rest were a sprinkling of pars and bogies. First time I had gotten to play in 4 weeks.
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    I love playing but am not very good at all.  I have probably played less than 10 rounds in my life but I love it every time.  Hopefully the wife will graduate soon and start working so that we'll have more money.  On just my salary it's a little tight right now.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well we are supposed to have some cooler weather this coming weekend so I am REALLY hoping to play some golf. I want to go play the Hank Haney course in McKinney that everyone says is so much fun. It is a unique layout. 6 Par 3's, 6 Par 4's, and 6 Par 5's. Should be a blast! My favorite course around here is Indian Creek! From the tips it plays almost 7,300 yards and has a par 3 that is 260! SWEET place to play!

What are some of everyone's favorite local courses?
  • bibbybibby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    Puro,

What's the elevation down in TX? The facility I work at (sameless plug coming) PGA Golf Club Coyote Springs, is almost 7,500 yards at 2400ish feet; it's quite the bear! As far as favorite other than my course (which barring all impartiality is really fantastic; layout, conditions, shot variety, views, and playability are all on par or better than the other area facilities) in the vegas area would be TPC Summerlin, Legacy Golf Club, Las Vegas Golf Club, The Lakes course at Primm Valley, and any of the Piaute golf courses. Yes those are my favorites even though others might have heard of better/more expensive facilities (WolfCreek, Cascata, e.t.c) the ones mentioned are better in my opinion.

Rob
    Bibby:
    Puro,

What's the elevation down in TX? The facility I work at (sameless plug coming) PGA Golf Club Coyote Springs, is almost 7,500 yards at 2400ish feet; it's quite the bear! As far as favorite other than my course (which barring all impartiality is really fantastic; layout, conditions, shot variety, views, and playability are all on par or better than the other area facilities) in the vegas area would be TPC Summerlin, Legacy Golf Club, Las Vegas Golf Club, The Lakes course at Primm Valley, and any of the Piaute golf courses. Yes those are my favorites even though others might have heard of better/more expensive facilities (WolfCreek, Cascata, e.t.c) the ones mentioned are better in my opinion.

Rob
    The elevation for Dallas is right about 430 ft. Not much at all really. Tour 18 is a fun course up here. It has replicas of the best 18 famous golf holes in the country. Tribute is the same concept but it is all Links style courses from Europe. I haven't played Tribute yet, but Tour 18 was a blast!
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    In Gwinnett GA there is a putt putt course that is a replica of Augusta.
    Elevation in Abilene TX is about 1800 ft or so. There are no really long courses here, but but the rocks, cacti and rattlesnakes outside the fairways make it in your best interest to keep it accurate.
    For the first time in a few months I finally got to go play some golf! I played a little course called Pecan Hollow which is a nice place. Nothing fancy, but the course is maintained VERY well and it's $29 to play all day. I joined up with 3 older gentlemen and had a blast. I was pounding my drives down the middle and longer than normal, was hitting my irons clean and fairly accurately only occasionally pulling a shot left. My downfall was my short game. Putting wasn't terrible but not great, however I had NO feel for my chipping and short shots around the green. I guess that just happens when you don't play for so long. Lose the feel for those shots and it kills what could have been a great round for me.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    PuroFreak:
    For the first time in a few months I finally got to go play some golf! I played a little course called Pecan Hollow which is a nice place. Nothing fancy, but the course is maintained VERY well and it's $29 to play all day. I joined up with 3 older gentlemen and had a blast. I was pounding my drives down the middle and longer than normal, was hitting my irons clean and fairly accurately only occasionally pulling a shot left. My downfall was my short game. Putting wasn't terrible but not great, however I had NO feel for my chipping and short shots around the green. I guess that just happens when you don't play for so long. Lose the feel for those shots and it kills what could have been a great round for me.
    Yeah...that short game is the first thing to go without practice for me. I got an outing Sunday morning that I'm looking forward to. I spent about an hour on the range last night and was striking the ball quite nicely.
    bbc020:
    PuroFreak:
    Yeah...that short game is the first thing to go without practice for me. I got an outing Sunday morning that I'm looking forward to. I spent about an hour on the range last night and was striking the ball quite nicely.
    I need to start spending some time on the range working on my swing. I've noticed during the last couple rounds that towards the end I start pulling my iron shots a little left. I need to get that worked out, but my distance has gotten better with just a few minor swing changes. Right now my 150 yrd club is my full 9 iron where as a year ago it was an easy 8. A year ago my 9 would only carry about 145 if I really nailed it.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    dug up this thread and wanted to revive it, any other golfers out there??

I started playing when I was 10, fell in love with the game and have been ever since. I played all 4 years in HS, varsity lettermen the last 3.. Also played on a junior tour in Central Illinois my sophomore year, that was fun, played a ton of great courses.. Also worked at University of Illinois Golf Course from the time I could get a permit to up until I moved down to Carbondale.

Who else here hacks it up?? Feel free to share stories, favorite courses, etc.
    Wow, this thread hasn't been up in a long time! I almost forgot about it! I do love to play golf, but sadly haven't played since back in March. Lack of $$ and even greater lack of time have kept the clubs in the closet and it's really getting me down! Hopefully I'll be able to get back out there soon. Someone share some stories with us to help me with my withdrawals! lol
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    PuroFreak:
    Wow, this thread hasn't been up in a long time! I almost forgot about it! I do love to play golf, but sadly haven't played since back in March. Lack of $$ and even greater lack of time have kept the clubs in the closet and it's really getting me down! Hopefully I'll be able to get back out there soon. Someone share some stories with us to help me with my withdrawals! lol
    I'm in the same boat man...I went out for 9 holes about 5 weeks ago on a warm day, but that has been it for the whole year really. Hope to get out soon...I can only take so much Wii golf and watching golf tournaments on the weekend before the itch has to be scratched
    I haven't played yet this year... Sad, but true..
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Found this floating in the past, and wanted to highlight. Heading on a golf trip this week and the link shows what we do, and it a great trip, Mike
    http://www.wisgolfer.com/Wisconsin-Golfer/February-2012/Charity-begins-at-home-and-in-Naples-Fla/
  • tincup703tincup703 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 58
    I used to have a 5 handicap...then my wife decided she wanted to learn to play golf and I was going to teach her. Can you even imagine the seven kinds of hell I went thru trying to teach a woman who never so much as threw a ball growing up, the hand-eye coordination required to hit a golf ball! Well needless to say I no longer have a 5 handicap!
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    lol when I first read this, I thought this was about computer hackers. lol :)
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Trying to finish packing right now. On my way to Myrtle Beach with the boys tomorrow for the rest of the week to drink, smoke...and I guess play a little golf.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    I used to be pretty good at golf in my teens and 20's, but the rest of my life took over and it took a back seat. I currently have a 4 handicap but I'm nowhere near that good anymore since I only play on my home course and 1-2 times a week in the summers. Get me out to a challenging course and I would struggle. It takes so much time to stay good, I would have to find a different purpose to play the game to get my heart back into it.

Oh, yeah I learned a long time ago to not formally give friends or family lessons, especially not the wife! She gets a little mad at me for not helping her more, but it is nothing compared to how mad she would be if I gave her lessons! Besides I never had any formal lessons myself.
  • ug danug dan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    I suck at golf, but it's fun as hell to play! It's getting close to golfing season around here. I can't wait!
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Played the first round of the year today. My old man and I snuck in a quick 9 on our day off. I never would've thought we'd be playing golf in march in PA. Needless to say the PGA won't be calling anytime soon.

Anyone use the Golf Logix app on their smart phone? I downloaded it last night. It has all of our local courses in it. I was really shocked at that. It's a pretty neat handy little app
  • airborneollyairborneolly Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    i only just started playing golf a year ago, but i love it. i would have to say one of my favorite courses is the tribute down in dallas, but i have also played a lot of golf in Alaska and its hard to beat the views that you get when you play in alaska on a nice sunny day. those were some good times. :)
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    skweekz:
    Played the first round of the year today. My old man and I snuck in a quick 9 on our day off. I never would've thought we'd be playing golf in march in PA. Needless to say the PGA won't be calling anytime soon.

Anyone use the Golf Logix app on their smart phone? I downloaded it last night. It has all of our local courses in it. I was really shocked at that. It's a pretty neat handy little app
    Cool, just downloaded it and looks like mine are all on there too. Thanks for the info. Hope I can get out more this year.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    I haven't had the pleasure of swinging a club in over 5 yrs. Pathetic, I know...
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    djbeenie:
    lol when I first read this, I thought this was about computer hackers. lol :)
    This. Thought I was gonna come in here and see a bunch of nerdery of a totally different kind. Never played golf, never been interested.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    My home course opened March 17 a record by several weeks.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    6 inches of fresh snow on the ground and more called for this weekend... Can't wait for Spring and a chance to hit the course!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    MVW67:
    Bumpity:-)
    You act like spring is around the corner.
    Best be getting that putter kit out and start practicing. LOL!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Oh wait.. Here it is. They have indoor driving ranges by me. Place is always packed, Did I mention it is also a bar ?