Home Non Cigar Related

Are you an optimist or pessimist?

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Vulchor:
    Love the question in this thread. I think most people who know me would call me a pessimist. I would say I lean toward it, but ever so slightly. What I think is that I am a realist, and often pessimism comes from being real-------or perhaps that is just the point of view at what a person is looking at? Thoughts?

An honest answer if there ever was one.
    Still though you could truly lean either way depending on the particular mood you happen to be in at a given time.
    I would consider you on the fence rather than a pessimist.
    Thank you for your honesty.

Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    In two hours sixteen minutes as of this writing the count stands as follows:
    76 reads:
    12 replies, of these twelve, I believe only four. Possibly five.
    Folks, honesty without comedy is sometimes warranted. This being one of those times.
    I have read your post for years and already know where most of you stand from this perspective alone.
    Be honest but most importantly, be sincere in your answer else my experiment is turned to rubbish.
    I am not delving into your inner personalities here, I am looking for a generalized figure from a set control group.
    Have fun with it but then please answer with honesty.
    Thank you.

I haven't been here a long time but can YOU tell wich way I lean? Am I an optimist or a pessimist? 60/40?

You definitely lean towards optimism though you try to hide it sometimes.
    Am I right or wrong on my opinion?

Toombes:
    I suppose you could call me an optimist. I prefer the best possible outcome but accept the fact that life doesn't always give you what you want so I've learned to roll with the punches and make due with the cards that I'm dealt.

Perfect!
    This thread could not in any way reveal more about hidden personality traits than it has!

webmost:
    RBeckom:
    I by my nature am an optimistic person and wonder just how many people here share my views toward life in general?
    If I am right there will be three optimist for every pessimistic person who will post not that there will be an accurate figure presented here because most who lean towards pessimism will regard this thread as trivial and not worth their time to answer or will want to hide this fact about themselves which they have forgotten has already been presented through the writings of said individuals for a lengthy period of time.
    So who is game enough to state the truth about themselves?
    And yes this is one of my little social experiments, I admit it up front.

Realist.

What you would doubtless term a pessimist.

Not so.
    Too be a realist you have to be optimistic about the conviction of you thought patterns so you are definitely optimistic else your answer would have been more cynical and negative.
    :-)
    And just for the record, though I may help from time to time with answers, I label no one.
    That is your burden to carry.
    I only seek the truth about whether people have become overly pessimistic because of the ever changing times that we all share and why it only affects a certain percentage of the population in a negative fashion.

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    76 reads:
    Folks, honesty without comedy is sometimes warranted. This being one of those times.
    I have read your post for years and already know where most of you stand from this perspective alone.
    Be honest but most importantly, be sincere in your answer else my experiment is turned to rubbish.
    I am not delving into your inner personalities here, I am looking for a generalized figure from a set control group.
    Thank you.

I haven't been here a long time but can YOU tell wich way I lean? Am I an optimist or a pessimist? 60/40?

I think You're right. I Think I lean that way too but how am I hiding it? That's interesting.
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    76 reads:
    Thank you.

I think You're right. I Think I lean that way too but how am I hiding it? That's interesting.

Through not letting things peacefully die away sometimes.
    We all want to project a personality that makes others perceive us as intimidating and you are no exception but to someone who has studied human personality for some time your rough exterior is quiet transparent.
    You Sir are one of the good guy's.
    Sound about right?

RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    76 reads:
    Thank you.

We all want to project a personality that makes others perceive us as intimidating and you are no exception but to someone who has studied human personality for some time your rough exterior is quiet transparent.
    Sound about right?

Oh you mean that stuff with Vulchor. I figure anybody who's been reading that has got to be saying, "When is (Bob) gonna get over it already?" LOL Yeah I can't help it sometimes. But I don't really see myself as a tough guy and I'm not trying to create that perception either. I think it's just that my words can be perceived in that tone if I am voicing a firm objection. And believe it or not, ever since I got on ccom, I actually have been trying to stay out of political, religious or any other type of debate for the most part but sometimes it happens. And sometimes I'm just joking around. I appreciate your assertion that I'm one of the good guys. I'll try not to be anything less.
  • RebelAngelRebelAngel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
    RBeckom:
    I by my nature am an optimistic person and wonder just how many people here share my views toward life in general?
    If I am right there will be three optimist for every pessimistic person who will post not that there will be an accurate figure presented here because most who lean towards pessimism will regard this thread as trivial and not worth their time to answer or will want to hide this fact about themselves which they have forgotten has already been presented through the writings of said individuals for a lengthy period of time.

While I like to be an optimistic person, I find, I rather be pessimistic, for fear of disappointments. I don't handle disappointments very well. I have found by being pessimistic you don't lose out on anything. When hoping for something you want and yet worry, if you get it or not, is being pessimistic. I do believe in this saying however, which is in the Dutch language. De nee heb je, maar de ja kan je krijgen! Translated: You have the "no", but the "yes", you can get!
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    76 reads:
    Thank you.

Sound about right?

Oh you mean that stuff with Vulchor. I figure anybody who's been reading that has got to be saying, "When is (Bob) gonna get over it already?" LOL Yeah I can't help it sometimes. But I don't really see myself as a tough guy and I'm not trying to create that perception either. I think it's just that my words can be perceived in that tone if I am voicing a firm objection. And believe it or not, ever since I got on ccom, I actually have been trying to stay out of political, religious or any other type of debate for the most part but sometimes it happens. And sometimes I'm just joking around. I appreciate your assertion that I'm one of the good guys. I'll try not to be anything less.

I would expect nothing less from you Sir.

RebelAngel:
    RBeckom:

While I like to be an optimistic person, I find, I rather be pessimistic, for fear of disappointments. I don't handle disappointments very well. I have found by being pessimistic you don't lose out on anything. When hoping for something you want and yet worry, if you get it or not, is being pessimistic. I do believe in this saying however, which is in the Dutch language. De nee heb je, maar de ja kan je krijgen! Translated: You have the "no", but the "yes", you can get!

Another optimist trying hard to hide it.
    Need we prove this one too?

RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    76 reads:
    Thank you.

Sound about right?

I just went over to that thread again and I just noticed your last post. Good idea.
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    76 reads:
    Thank you.

Sound about right?

I just went over to that thread again and I just noticed your last post. Good idea.

That one will win no one favor and will continue to cause others to pile on.
    Sometimes we just have to let go and say everything will turn out alright in the end.

• RebelAngelRebelAngel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
    RBeckom:
    RebelAngel:
    RBeckom:

YES, PLEASE!
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    I'm either a pessimistic optimist or an optimistic pessimist. Haven't desided yet.
    bwcarter54:
    I'm either a pessimistic optimist or an optimistic pessimist. Haven't desided yet.

Then you are in a perpetual state of denial of your true self.

RebelAngel:
    RBeckom:
    RebelAngel:
    RBeckom:

YES, PLEASE!

Remember the story you posted on The Rambling Thread?
    Page twenty five.

Soft as the voice of an angel, Breathing a lesson unheard, Hope with a gentle persuasion, Whispers her comforting words: Wait till the darkness is over, Wait till the tempest is done, Hope for the sunshine to-morrow After the shower is gone. If in the dusk of the twilight, Dim be the region afar, Will not the deepening darkness, Brighten the glimmering star? Then when the night is upon us, Why should the heart sink away? When the dark night is over, Watch for the breaking day.

You could have chosen a negatively inspired story to write and claimed it for your own but you did not. Your Personality was deeply revealed through both the writing and the fact that you told from whom it came. Your words belie your testimony about being a true pessimist.
    Need we delve further?
    Or does this suffice?

Just for fun let's go a little further.
    You say in your post, "I rather be pessimistic, for fear of disappointments. I don't handle disappointments very well". This alone tells me what I already knew from your previous posting on the forums you are optimistic but try to be pessimistic for fear of disappointment alone.
    Sound about right?

I have destroyed any hope of finding true results from this post but I have had fun conversing with all of you. Continue as long as you wish for the one thing that can still be salvaged from this experiment is that I am beginning to know quiet a few of you on a personal level and I am not disappointed with what I have gained so far. In all actuality I am learning a huge amount more about personalities than I had previously hoped in any event!

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    RBeckom:
    I have destroyed any hope of finding true results from this post but I have had fun conversing with all of you. Continue as long as you wish for the one thing that can still be salvaged from this experiment is that I am beginning to know quiet a few of you on a personal level and I am not disappointed with what I have gained so far. In all actuality I am learning a huge amount more about personalities than I had previously hoped in any event!

Thanks for this effort, Rodney. It seems to me that we all WANT to be optimistic... it is our natural inclination to hope for and aspire for the best. Pessimism comes through disappointment, which conditions some over time to surrender their better hopes.

Ironically, your conclusion illustrates this. You began the experiment with "hopes" of true results. For whatever reasons, it didn't turn out as expected. And so, "I have destroyed any hope of finding true results." Yet, because you are an optimist, you glean the good from the experiment and move on with a better appreciation and a lack of disappointment.

Whatever our experiences, it is good to focus on what we've gained. Thanks again for a thought-provoking thread.
    Puff_Dougie:
    RBeckom:

Thanks for this effort, Rodney. It seems to me that we all WANT to be optimistic... it is our natural inclination to hope for and aspire for the best. Pessimism comes through disappointment, which conditions some over time to surrender their better hopes.

Ironically, your conclusion illustrates this. You began the experiment with "hopes" of true results. For whatever reasons, it didn't turn out as expected. And so, "I have destroyed any hope of finding true results." Yet, because you are an optimist, you glean the good from the experiment and move on with a better appreciation and a lack of disappointment.

Whatever our experiences, it is good to focus on what we've gained. Thanks again for a thought-provoking thread.

You Sir, are quiet insightful on such matters as these were exactly the thoughts in my mind about the conclusions to the experiment:-)

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Don't know about insightful, brother, but I try to be a student of human nature. Like you, I am intensely interested in what makes people tick.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    I consider myself a realist, that being said, if one or the other I would say pessimist
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I go with realist as well. I tell it like it is and realize there's a lot of crap out there. That's not to say I don't try to have a positive outlook. I believe someone already said "expect and prepare for the worst but hope for the best." I've been told I'm pessimistic but I told her she was a b!tch.
    Those who claim to be "realist" are simply trying not to let they're true nature known.
    Optimism reigns supreme and it might as well be accepted, for it is the natural nature for most, not all, but most.
    Make a claim and then take time to think of your personal habits. Not what you want to say but what you do in actuality and reality.
    Look at it this way for a moment.
    Do you smile when you greet people on the streets, at work, home or where ever your day takes you.
    Or.....
    Do you have foul thoughts and bitter words for everyone?
    Now that, my friends, would be undeniable pessimism.
    I believe in each of you as I read your posting with care elsewhere on the forums and this I have learned from your own words. People are basically good and not a single one of you will change my mind even though you have had disappointment's in your lives, all of us have.
    It all boils down to what you focus on, the good or the bad, either way life IS the same for us all.

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    Pessimist. I am.... I tend to see mostly the worst before I can feel any good about anything.... Ive grown to be this way as I feel that if I expect the worst out of everything all the time, that when something good happens I can really enjoy the moment. I find that the worst happens more often then the good. atleast to me that is... So I chalk it up to luck... and luck keeps me a Pessimist. I find it quite sad.... i think it can be a misrable way to live. It can make the world a steady shade of grey even in the brightest of times.

Aj
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    jd50ae:
    Who Cares
    The Apathist.

webmost:
    jd50ae:
    Who Cares
    The Apathist.

All who took the time to answer, either good or bad, optimistic or pessimistic, care.
    No exceptions on this one my friends!
    You all care one way or the other!

• Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    RBeckom:
    Those who claim to be "realist" are simply trying not to let they're true nature known.
    Look at it this way for a moment.
    Do you smile when you greet people on the streets, at work, home or where ever your day takes you.
    Or.....
    Do you have foul thoughts and bitter words for everyone?
    I disagree on the realist cop-out gesture but to answer your other question: It depends on the person. If I don't know them, I'm generally a very friendly person and greet everyone with a smile. If I know them and like them, they get a smile. If they're an ***, they get the ignore button. That's a realist.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Optimist, seems like I am always smiling and looking for the brighter side of things.