Home Non Cigar Related

New build, quest for 1200 yards

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Brianak:
    My wife is picking me up a stripped lower as I type this message. Time to start a new build.
    What lower are you going with?
    Settled on a chassis for the build, should be here in 2 weeks......

http://mdttac.com/tac21-chassis-for-savage.html
  • BrianakBrianak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 227
    firetruckguy:
    Brianak:
    My wife is picking me up a stripped lower as I type this message. Time to start a new build.

Only reasonably priced one I could find. Stag. Local shops in Anchorage want MSRP and if you buy one somewhere else it's a $50 transfer fee.
  • jbohonjbohon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    My last build. Ultra simple & light, weighs in at just over 6lbs.

photo 4F9FD913-7A74-48AD-91CA-49157ED1DB9D_zps83ukxmuu.jpg
    jbohon:

That thing is just bad azz. I have an A2 RRA without the detachable carry handle. Just cant get used to a rifle WITHOUT a scope.
    I was trying to use the KISS method here. no optics= less to break. My first build has a red dot on it and my 2nd build has glass... each serves it's purpose but this one needs to be able to take a beating.

BTW, that savage chassis is bad @$$!
    Ordered the chassis today, a MDT Tac21. 3-4 weeks before delivery, so hurry up and wait. I am also ordering the butt stock tomorrow when I can get the butt guy to call me back.
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Brianak:
    firetruckguy:
    Brianak:

Only reasonably priced one I could find. Stag. Local shops in Anchorage want MSRP and if you buy one somewhere else it's a $50 transfer fee.
    Stag lowers are GTG - I have 2 of them and never had an issue. The only problem some people have with them is the Stag stamp which, of course, doesn't affect performance.

Best quality lower I have would be the forged Mega arms. The machining and finish is excellent. The lowers also have a hex screw underneath that help snug them to the uppers.

Both Mega and Stag have great customer service as well. Neither company raised their prices during the shortage.

variant2:
    Brianak:
    firetruckguy:
    Brianak:

Stag lowers are GTG - I have 2 of them and never had an issue. The only problem some people have with them is the Stag stamp which, of course, doesn't affect performance.

Best quality lower I have would be the forged Mega arms. The machining and finish is excellent. The lowers also have a hex screw underneath that help snug them to the uppers.

Both Mega and Stag have great customer service as well. Neither company raised their prices during the shortage.

Seekins has some good lowers also, and there scope rings are sick.....
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    firetruckguy:
    variant2:
    Brianak:
    firetruckguy:
    Brianak:

Seekins has some good lowers also, and there scope rings are sick.....
    Yup, I also have a Seekings forged lower which I will probably use on my next build -- whenever I get around to it. Living in NJ, I have to do a lot of neutering to my stuff so that it will conform with our stupid laws.

I don't believe I have any experience with their scope rings so, since you mentioned it, I will look into them.

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    jbohon:

Love it except for the carry handle. Just do not care for those. I want a Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced in FDE or Foliage Green. Has a very similar look.
    Dude from UPS dropped this off today......

photo grip_zps801133dd.jpg
    USPS's offering for the day, a XLR tactical but stock. Why I went with this is because it fits any rifle that excepts AR style but stocks. The reason for not wanting to go with a AR but stock is, they are just to light. This butt stock weighs 2 1/2 pounds, which will offset some of my barrel weight (8 pounds). Plus this thing just looks cool!

photo buttstock_zpseeae4f78.jpg
    Oooh, I want one. Do they make it in fde?
    I'm pretty sure it comes in light black and dark black.......
    How about neutral black?
    My build is coming together. Went a different route then planned. Decided on a 300BLK. Barrel has been ordered. Then once I get the hand guard it will be broken down and taken to a be hydro dipper.
    Brianak:
    My build is coming together. Went a different route then planned. Decided on a 300BLK. Barrel has been ordered. Then once I get the hand guard it will be broken down and taken to a be hydro dipper.
    Dude that's sick! Do you need a trigger gard? I have a brand new Seekins that Ill send you.
    Thanks for the offer but already have a magpul enhanced trigger guard on the way.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    firetruckguy:
    Brianak:
    Dude that's sick! Do you need a trigger gard? I have a brand new Seekins that Ill send you.
    Drooooooool
  • StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    Nice!! Put some wood furniture on it!!!
    That's a great idea! I've always wanted to do an AR in wood. It would be heavy as heck but how pretty would that be? Hmmm...

jbohon:
    That's a great idea! I've always wanted to do an AR in wood. It would be heavy as heck but how pretty would that be? Hmmm...

I don't have a scale, but it's not that bad...

Stubble:
    jbohon:

OHHHHHHHH that's so old school!
    Going to have the upper, lower, stock and hand guard dipped in Kryptek highlander.
    That is gonna look wicked Brian!!
    Stubble:
    jbohon:

Oh... now that's beautiful! Looking like that, who cares how much she weighs?

So nothing has come in and I'm waiting on my chassis, so I found a couple different reloading powders the last couple days.

photo IMG_0950_zpsf8808ee5.jpg

photo IMG_0949_zps622a1b26.jpg

Hoping to get the chassis in by the end of the month.
    Updates?!?! I find it amusing that I'm getting so excited over your build... lol

Update for the week. I received a picture of my MDT Tac21 chassis fresh out of the CNC machine today. Next step is cleaning and anodizing, then should be to me by the end of the month.

photo 2014-10-1608_48_24_zpscaf1fa2a.jpg